AEM-7-AC #946 at Secaucus Transfer Point

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
Does anybody have an explanation on why #946 is at the Secaucus Transfer Point (under construction) at the NY end of the station? Its not a work train as it was just sitting just outside of the station all day yesterday (8 a.m. to 11 p.m. at least) I saw it traveling to New York on the MidTOWN DIRECT round trip in a Comet V :D both ways, around the mentioned times. It probably wasn't a work train as it wasn't in the station, nor was it coupled to anything. Is it just being stored there? If so, why isn't it at Sunnyside?

Viewliner, it's entirely possible that the engine failed en route and was dumped off in favor of a unit that can run. I'll see if I can get it looked up on ARROW

There are locomotives that sit just beyond Penn Station for duty. I think when trains like the Keystones and Metroliners come from WAS and PHL they are not taken to Sunnyside, but cleaned in the station where a locomotive is added on the reverse end to go back south.

Amfleet said:
There are locomotives that sit just beyond Penn Station for duty. I think when trains like the Keystones and Metroliners come from WAS and PHL they are not taken to Sunnyside, but cleaned in the station where a locomotive is added on the reverse end to go back south.
Yes, but Secaucus is a little more than "just beyond penn..." it on the other side of the Hudson. I know about the Metroliner just putting a Locomotive on back, and detaching the other.

Viewliner said:
Does anybody have an explanation on why #946 is at the Secaucus Transfer Point (under construction) at the NY end of the station?  Its not a work train as it was just sitting just outside of the station all day yesterday (8 a.m. to 11 p.m. at least)  I saw it traveling to New York on the MidTOWN DIRECT round trip in a Comet V :D both ways, around the mentioned times.  It probably wasn't a work train as it wasn't in the station, nor was it coupled to anything.  Is it just being stored there?  If so, why isn't it at Sunnyside?
My guesses would be one of the following.

Either as Battalion suggested, the engine failed in that area and was left behind.

The other possibility is that the engine was stationed there as a protect engine. Remember that Amtrak is still single tracking the Hudson River tunnels on the weekend. With one tunnel out of commission, an engine failure in the other tunnel would shut down the NEC.

So holding an AEM7 in Secaucus would allow them to respond quickly from the Jersey side in the event of an engine failure in the tunnel. If the breakdown were closer to Penn and Manhattan then a rescue engine would be sent from that side instead.

Amfleet said:
I know what you're talking about Amfleet, but this engine was on the other side of the river in NJ. That's too far away for what you suggest. Besides, I don't think that Amtrak turns any NEC trains in Penn Station anymore. They can't afford to have the train sit there long enough to clean it. They need to clear the platform as fast as possible. Plus they don't want to have to turn all the seats around. It's easier to just run the train over to Sunnyside.

On the other hand they do currently turn many of the Empire Corridor trains in the station.

I suspect that the engines that you see sitting near the west side of Penn are there simply in case of a last minute failure.

Amfleet said:
I'm not that familiar with that area. Is Secaucus before Newark?
Well that depends on which direction you are heading. If one is heading south, then yes it's before Newark. Essentially you hit Secaucus right after you surface from the Hudson River tunnels.

Amfleet said:
In the Meadowlands area? I know there is a yard to the left (going south) where I've seen NJ Transit equipment staged.
That's correct. :) The new Secaucus transfer is just before you get to that NJT yard, if one is traveling southbound on the NEC. The Secaucus transfer which is scheduled to open late this year, around October, will allow transfers between NJT trains on the NEC and NJT trains that run into northern NJ.

It's in this new station area on the NEC that Viewliner saw this engine. You can't miss the station when you travel on the corridor, so when you take your ride to the Keystone corridor, if you come thru NYP you'll see the station.

Stupid Question...

I often have to sit in train stations waiting for connections, where I see locomotives (both Amtrak and various freight types) sitting for hours -- running. When are they ever shut down? Is it a big deal to start them up? Is it cheaper to just let them run?

Amtrak Watcher said:
Stupid Question...
I often have to sit in train stations waiting for connections, where I see locomotives (both Amtrak and various freight types) sitting for hours -- running. When are they ever shut down? Is it a big deal to start them up? Is it cheaper to just let them run?
Electric or Diesel or both?

For the electric, I don't see it making much of a difference as the fuel is in the wires and they're paying for it anyway so it doesn't make a difference.

As for the Diesels I don't really know, it may be easier to keep them on as well, but can't trains some how "plug in" to a station for power like in CHI?

Amtrak Watcher said:
Stupid Question...
AmtrakWatcher,

I'm a firm believer that no question is ever too stupid, if you don't know the answer. After all that's how we all learn new things. :)

Now to your question, as Viewliner indicated when it comes to electric engines it doesn't really matter all that much to leave the pantographs up and supplying power to the engine. Plus I've been told that on the older engines, the batteries are in such bad shape that they would have to hand crank the pantograph back up later.

As for the diesel engines, generally they are just left running unless they are going in for repairs or will be out of service for several days. While I'm not an expert in these matters, I believe that it's simply easier to leave them running.

The diesel engines are left in a idle mode, which uses far less fuel than when running. I seem to recall reading something once that said the amount of fuel that the Sunset Limited uses to go from one coast to the other would probably allow an engine to run at idle for close to two weeks.

There are issues with starting up an engine, and it not as simple as putting the key into your car and turning it. It not nearly as complicated as bringing an airplane to life though. One issue that I am aware of is oil within the engine.

Just like your car these days, they recomend that you don't let it warm up before you pull out of the driveway. They've discovered in recent years that when you start driving right away, the oil heats up faster. This means less wear and tear on your engine, than if you let it idle in the driveway like you used to with older cars.

Well in the case of the diesel engine, which in more finely built than your car's engine, even the extra friction during startup until the oil starts flowing is not a good thing. So just allowing it to keep running, abliet on a minimal setting, is better for the engine than shutting it down.

I suspect that there are probably a few other reasons that I'm unaware of, that also make it smarter to just leave them running.

During the winter this is an absolute must in northern climes, as you would end up with freezing problems. Even if an engine is actually shut down during the winter, it must then be plugged into an electric heater to avoid freezing problems.

Viewliner said:
As for the Diesels I don't really know, it may be easier to keep them on as well, but can't trains some how "plug in" to a station for power like in CHI?
Those cables that you see in the station, only supply HEP or Head End Power to the coaches. I don't think that you can plug them into an engine; even if you did then it would only supply power to the train. It still wouldn't help the actual diesel engine.

Alan gave a very good answer, and he is correct to the best of my knowledge. Engine freezes in the wnter time are the biggest reason for letting an engine idle until it is needed. On several ocassions this winter the engines in SFA were fueled up and ran all night so that they would not freeze up. I also know that the road power for Auto Train is just set into the low idle position before going out later that day. Usually though if an engine is not going to be utilized later that day it will be shut down if weather permits.

OK, here's the scoop according to my knowledge. It surprises me that they run the electric engines the whole time. If they are drawing current, then that is that much more power they have to generate for the network. I'm in my Electricity and Magnetism II class this semester....I'm a physics major, and this just makes no sense whatsoever.

As far as the diesel engines, especially in the winter, diesel fuel turns to jelly. If it does this, it will not flow into the cylinders. In fact, if it is indeed off for a while, they don't so much need to worry about heating up the engine block as they do heating up the fuel itself.

Hope this was helpful.

OK Viewliner, I had the info on 946 looked up. Accoridng to the report 946 was working "Hudson River Protect" meaning that it was to be used as an emergency engine. As of yesterday it was working on Acela Reigonal train. So there you go.

battalion51 said:
OK Viewliner, I had the info on 946 looked up. Accoridng to the report 946 was working "Hudson River Protect" meaning that it was to be used as an emergency engine. As of yesterday it was working on Acela Reigonal train. So there you go.
So my guess back on page 1 was right. I kinda figured that 946 might be working protection for the tunnel. :)

And now for a question about locomotives and the people who rum them, which has worried me for some time.

What does the guy running the locomotive do when he has to go to the bathroom? Is there are toilet available? Doesn’t the engineer have to be present and watchful all the time? Are there two people up front? Can one take over for another during toilet emergencies?

Amtrak Watcher said:
What does the guy running the locomotive do when he has to go to the bathroom? Is there are toilet available? Doesn’t the engineer have to be present and watchful all the time? Are there two people up front? Can one take over for another during toilet emergencies?
Yes modern locomotives have a bathroom right in the engine. It isn't fancy, but it is functional.

In the case where there is an engineer and a fireman (as the position is called), then either one can run the engine while the other heads to the bathroom. If there is only an engineer, then he/she must wait until the train is at a station stop or stopped for another reason, before they can hit the head.

If they were actually having a dire emergency, they would still have to bring the train to an unscheduled stop before they could use the bathroom. If they just left the controls alone and ran to the john, the train would come to an abrupt halt on its own.

An abrupt halt on its own!?!

I suppose if you have to go, then you have to go.

Is there usually a fireman with the engineer?

Amtrak Watcher said:
An abrupt halt on its own!?!
I suppose if you have to go, then you have to go.

Is there usually a fireman with the engineer?
Yes, the dead man's feature would take over and stop the train. The engineer must at the controls blowing the horn, apply the brakes, changing the throttle setting, and doing other tasks that let the computer know he's awake and alive. If the engineer does nothing for a random period of time, usually between one to three minutes, then the alerter system sounds an alarm.

The engineer then has about 15 to 20 seconds to hit a button to silence that alarm. If he fails to hit that button during that time frame, the computer will apply the emergency brakes and bring the train to a halt.

As to your other question, at one time there were always two people in the cab. These days it's becoming more and more common for only be one person in the cab. I have no real statistics, but if I were to guess, I'd say that at least half of Amtrak's trains currently run with only one person in the cab.

It depends onhow long the run the engineer is making is. If the job he is working is longer than six hours, than BLe rules say he must have a Fireman. If it is shorter than six hours he will run solo. Many have trained themselves to be able to hold it for half hour to an hour after they need to go. Most will go at the next station stop, lock the reverser in neutral, and run to the john. As for the sudden stop, that is the deadman feature. If the alerter goes off and the reset button is not pushed, the train will go into emergency.

AlanB said:
As to your other question, at one time there were always two people in the cab. These days it's becoming more and more common for only be one person in the cab. I have no real statistics, but if I were to guess, I'd say that at least half of Amtrak's trains currently run with only one person in the cab.
From my knowledge and experience, I'd say it's probably well MORE than 50% of the time, but I really don't know that for sure. And Batallion is right too, it depends on there time on duty. This is why a lot of times your engineer actually switches out more frequently than your conductor crew does.

Sounds like it can be rather stressful in the cab. I guess a thermos of coffee and a bran muffin would not be a good idea in the cab when going solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back