Afraid To Travel On Silver Star: Advice For Traveler Anxiety

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you just can’t stomach having the two year old in the top bunk, I’d advise using it yourself. The roomettes on the Silver Star have an upper bunk that is almost as comfortable as the bottom bunk and you could put the small children at opposite ends of the bottom bunk. I’d try it, at least.

Since you're worried about heart issues, it's worth noting that every Amtrak train now normally has an AED in a locker in the dining car and/or cafe car, unless something has gone wrong and it's broken and they couldn't find a replacement. Amtrak doesn't guarantee that they have a trained staff member, but they usually do.

I am a 27 year old female with a toddler (2) and a baby (10 mo). We reside in NJ and have an upcoming family event in FL (next week). I’d love to be there to show my support and have booked tickets on the Silver Star leaving Philadelphia. I have never ridden on the Amtrak before and I have travel anxiety.

1) I can afford to place a $210 bid on a roomette but upon looking at pictures online I am unsure if it would even comfortably fit myself and two small children. Wish I could afford a room but I can’t. Any experience/thoughts here?

2) I have health anxiety due to a heart condition and am worried about traveling alone. I am worried about the minute possibility of a health complication—does this route always stay close to urban areas? I.e. if I legitimately needed medical help would it be easy to access? I made the mistake of reading some horror stories online about people having heart attacks onboard and unable to get help/trains being stuck for 24+ hours.

Thank you in advance for any advice. At this point I am thinking about canceling our trip and I’m so down about it. 😞
The AMTRAK train stuck for 36 hours was most likely associated with a huge snowstorm which is extremely unlikely on your route. Have a great trip.

Are u considered disabled, the first time I traveled on Amtrak I had my disabled daughter and we were able to get the H room for the cost of the roomette. Don’t know if Amtrak still does that. I was frightened my first trip but the folks on here soothed my anxiety and I enjoyed my ride. Don’t know how long u will be on the Amtrak, but I think u will enjoy it. Is there traditional dining on Silver Star?I don’t know how much a bedroom is, but I think u would be comfortable in one of those also. But then I’m old and can’t handle a mask for any length of time lol

Are u considered disabled, the first time I traveled on Amtrak I had my disabled daughter and we were able to get the H room for the cost of the roomette. Don’t know if Amtrak still does that.

There is one H (disabled/no bunk beds) room per car. You can request one no sooner than 24 hours before train departure if it has not already been booked by a disabled person.

There is one H (disabled/no bunk beds) room per car. You can request one no sooner than 24 hours before train departure if it has not already been booked by a disabled person.

There is a bunk bed in the H room.

Within 14 days prior to a train departure from its origin city, and if all other Bedroom and Family bedrooms have been reserved, accessible bedroom are made available to all passengers on a first-come, first-served basis. For this reason, we urge you to make your reservations as far in advance of travel as possible.

https://www.amtrak.com/making-reservations-for-passengers-with-a-disability

I believe that the H rooms have an upper bunk. The lower bunk in the H rooms on the Silver Star are wider than the roomette beds. Those rooms are sold to passengers with disabilities at about the same price as a roomette. However when sold within 2 weeks of departure, they are sold at about the same price as a bedroom.

In regards to the sleeping arrangements with my two toddlers and myself in the Roomette. I had the girls share the lower bed, and I was in the upper bunk.

There was little worry they could escape the room, as the latch on the door is a little bit tricky - at least to a toddler.

You'll be traveling alone with a toddler, and a baby, and a heart condition, and an anxious disposition? I'm surprised nobody else seems to think this might be a problem. Depending on how your bid turns out it sounds like this trip could be physically and mentally exhausting for you. We can tell you how riding the train usually works but we have no idea how your other trips usually go. For that reason you might want to ask someone who has traveled with you before and see what they think about this.

Last edited:
I think this has the potential to be a great trip, and I think you're making a good choice.

One thought I don't see mentioned upthread is that space for baggage in the roomette is quite tight. There will be plenty of available luggage storage, though, elsewhere in the car.

So, when you pack, try to arrange it so you have one small bag - with essentials for you and little ones - but most of your baggage can go in the racks outside the room, and you'll be a bit less cramped in the roomette. Maybe one small "roomette" bag with you usual diaper bag supplies (including snacks), some toys, and 1-2 changes of clothes for everyone. But keep your clothing and toiletries for the rest of the trip in a bigger bag outside the roomette.

I think this has the potential to be a great trip, and I think you're making a good choice.

One thought I don't see mentioned upthread is that space for baggage in the roomette is quite tight. There will be plenty of available luggage storage, though, elsewhere in the car.

So, when you pack, try to arrange it so you have one small bag - with essentials for you and little ones - but most of your baggage can go in the racks outside the room, and you'll be a bit less cramped in the roomette. Maybe one small "roomette" bag with you usual diaper bag supplies (including snacks), some toys, and 1-2 changes of clothes for everyone. But keep your clothing and toiletries for the rest of the trip in a bigger bag outside the roomette.
This is a single level train. There are not luggage racks outside the rooms. They do, however, have a cubby next to the door that goes over the hall.

One great thing to pack with a toddler is a couple of mini cans of Playdo. They've got little sets of them at craft and hobby supply places, in the areas where they sell little favors for kids birthday parties. Keeping little fingers busy... Also, snacks and a few new dollar-store toys to dole out during the trip to keep the trip fun and interesting.

This is a Viewliner sleeper. There is luggage storage in the rooms, but no other storage area. Excess luggage sometimes ends up in the shower, at great inconvenience to other travelers. I think two airline-size carryon bags will fit on the shelf above the hallway, and if it is a Viewliner II, there is storage under the step. Luggage also can be placed on the step or toilet, as well as on the upper berth, but that makes it inconvenient to use those facilities. This train also offers checked baggage.

Helpful hint on the Viewliner baggage cubby. Lower the upper berth. Work your bag up using the "steps" (toilet seat cover, shelf) and put it on the upper berth.

From underneath, push the loaded upper berth up to the middle detent. The berth is now at the same level as the cubby. Slide bag from upper berth into the cubby.

That method is easier than trying to lift a bag up over your head, but it still takes some muscle.

Last edited:
This is a Viewliner sleeper. There is luggage storage in the rooms, but no other storage area. Excess luggage sometimes ends up in the shower, at great inconvenience to other travelers. I think two airline-size carryon bags will fit on the shelf above the hallway, and if it is a Viewliner II, there is storage under the step. Luggage also can be placed on the step or toilet, as well as on the upper berth, but that makes it inconvenient to use those facilities. This train also offers checked baggage.
There is also a shelf by the seat opposite to the step that has a restraining strap. I usually place my fairly large roller bag there and run the strap through the handle to keep it from falling over. It works pretty well and gives me complete access to the contents of my bag through the entire trip.

Let's go back to assuming that she will likely end up in coach. Plenty of people do travel that way with small kids. Traveling light is best, but with a couple of kids this size you tend to look like you are moving when going out for a couple of hours. If you don't have a kid harness, consider getting one for the two year old. It frees up your hand to hold things other than his hand and he doesn't have to walk around with his arm up in the air. I am not talking about keeping it on him while you are on the train; but going to/from train and if you get out at any of the longer stops. Probably not needed even if going between places on the train, as escape possibilities are limited. If people want to make or think snide remarks about you having your kid on a leash like a dog, you can ignore them and they can get over it. Will you have a baby carrier for the 10 month old? Is this kid very mobile yet? The floor between aisle seat and window can be the two year old's play area / living area / sleeping area. Carry baby wipes, and Clorox wipes. Sanitation of things is not great, but usually not repulsively nasty. Again some things get back to your size. How tall are you? I ask in the sense of thinking how easy/difficult it is to get things into / out of the overhead rack. That could both factor into what you take and what size pieces of baggage you have. Purses and diaper bags do not count as luggage. I would not consider play dough as a toy to take, as it can make a mess. Think things that don't squish, squash, and liquify, and preferably do not have small pieces or easily roll away from you.

All very good advice, except I was thinking Playdoe not so good. The last time I was in coach, pre-Covid, it was awesome, except the lady with the kid kicking my seat, they didn’t stay on long, thank goodness, train folks are a pretty nice bunch of folks,very helpful. How long will u be on? I understand your anxiety, but chill out, enjoy the journey and so will your babies.

There is also a shelf by the seat opposite to the step that has a restraining strap. I usually place my fairly large roller bag there and run the strap through the handle to keep it from falling over. It works pretty well and gives me complete access to the contents of my bag through the entire trip.

That is exactly what I do.

Back