After two years, my next trip is almost here!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
Less than 10 days until I hit the rails for Florida!! The last time I rode Amtrak was in March 2019. This has been a LONG time coming. I have a few questions:

1. I am going to take a suitcase with me this time. I've never checked baggage. I'm taking the #42 from Elizabethtown. I'm assuming I just bring the suitcase on board along with my duffel for the Meteor. I'm going to need assistance when arriving at PHL to check my suitcase for Kissimmee. I had back surgery in early January. What do I do?

2. The Sleeper Lounge--I just picked my meals. Can I eat in the diner, or must they deliver my meals to me? I know I have to be masked when moving about the train--I can take it off in my Bedroom. I will have received both shots of the COVID vaccine by then.

3. Will they assist me in getting my suitcase at Kissimmee? My parents are picking me up.

4. Has the Meteor been running on-time?

Thank you!

You can check your bags in Philly. Not sure of the "dining" procedure on the Meteor. You can probably eat in your room or diner

Is there a luggage space in the Business Class car on #42? My suitcase won’t fit in the overhead rack. Also, can I take an elevator up to baggage check?

Years ago, I acquired a pair of quite large duffel bags with wheels at Walmart, as I recall. They have a hard plastic 'base' the length of them that opened up to allow 2-3" of stuff to be put in there. The wheels were at one end and an extendable handle at the other. The canvas-like duffle bag part is maybe 12"x12"x48" with generous zipper pockets at each end. Of course, they also have a strong fabric handle on the extending handle end as well as atop the duffle bag part proper. These days, they are my 'emergency' get-out-of-the-house bags fully packed and ready to go in my hall closet should I have to leave home under emergency conditions.

Hopefully, your suitcase has wheels as well. But...as one with some back issues, I've found that having two identical bags in tow may be easier than one big one and something else of a different size and weight.

Back