AGR buy points w/bonus question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlant552

Train Attendant
I am trying to understand the bonus value of this program. I compared 3 different Amtrak trips comparing paid with $$ and with points. All 3 calculated that each dollar spent was equivalent to .0290 points. The current promototion where you buy points and get bonus points has me confused because; if you buy 15000 points you get 30% bonus points (19500 total pts) at a cost of $565.50. Now, 15000 points Xs .0290 = $435.00, not $565.50. However, 19500 POINTS Xs .0290 = $565.50- so it seems to me that Amtrak is charging the per dollar equivalent (.0290) for all 19500 points and you are not actually getting any bonus! What am I not understanding here?

MODERATOR NOTE: post edited to change comment from all caps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the answer to my own question is that the bonus points are not free- they are just points you are able to buy with this promotion above the maximum of 30,000 points you are allowed to buy annually.
The promotion leads you to believe that the bonus points come at no additional cost, which does not seem to be the case.

MODERATOR NOTE: post edited to change comment from all caps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back