AGR Child ticket??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chertling

Lead Service Attendant
I'm wondering if I messed up... I bought two tickets for a trip to St. Louis this coming weekend, using AGR Points. The second traveler is my three year old daughter. On-line, I was only able to get "Adult" AGR tickets through Amtrak.com and went ahead and did that. I am wondering if there is a way to get "Child" tickets via AGR and if so, are they available for fewer AGR Points than an adult ticket.

I've never heard of an AGR discount for children-- though I know you can buy tickets for multiple pax.

Your daughter gets a very hefty discount, it may make more economical sense to buy the ticket rather than use points.

I haven't heard of any AGR discounts for kids either; so you may well wish to consider ALC's advice of buying your daughter's ticket.

Your daughter gets a very hefty discount, it may make more economical sense to buy the ticket rather than use points.
Actually, she doesn't get a discount-- unless a child is traveling with an adult paying regular (or AAA or other) fare, the child has to pay full (not half) price.
You misunderstand.

If you're buying AGR tickets you have to pay 10,000 points to get two tickets.

If you're buying the regular tickets you only have to pay one ticket plus half the price of a second.

So if the ticket costs $100, then you could pay 10,000 points for $150 in tickets. With AGR you're effectively paying full price for the child ticket. That's why I said "the ticket" versus "her ticket".

Actually, she doesn't get a discount-- unless a child is traveling with an adult paying regular (or AAA or other) fare, the child has to pay full (not half) price.
You misunderstand.

If you're buying the regular tickets you only have to pay one ticket plus half the price of a second.

So if the ticket costs $100, then you could pay 10,000 points for $150 in tickets. With AGR you're effectively paying full price for the child ticket. That's why I said "the ticket" versus "her ticket".
One thing to note... the Missouri River Runner is one of the "Special" trains in the AGR rewards system... so tickets cost 1,000 points each, rather than the much higher prices for a one zone award.

One thing to note... the Missouri River Runner is one of the "Special" trains in the AGR rewards system... so tickets cost 1,000 points each, rather than the much higher prices for a one zone award.
You didn't mention that it was the MORR. Just said you were going to STL.

In any event, the tickets on the MORR shouldn't be all that expensive, I'd say you should buy them-- however I can see how paying 2,000 points would make sense in some scenarios.

You misunderstand.
Well, 11,000 points, assuming two one-zone coach redemptions (and chertling says subsequently that it is on a Special Route), but I get you.

Agreed.

I did misunderstand. I read your earlier comment as redeem one award for chertling and purchase with dollars the daughter's ticket.

Back