AGR Credit Card change (October 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you who have received the letter about the FNBO card have only the no-fee card? I ask this because my sister has the fee card and got the letter and I have the no-fee card and have not gotten a letter. It is not clear to me reading this thread if anyone who has only the no-fee card has received the letter. I am wondering if I should, in the meantime, switch to a credit card where I get points with a certain hotel chain.

It's not unusual for mass mailings to be sent out over a period of several days. Often, there's no apparent logic behind whose gets sent first.

Someone posted a copy of the no-fee package, so some of them have gone out.

Have any of you who have received the letter about the FNBO card have only the no-fee card? I ask this because my sister has the fee card and got the letter and I have the no-fee card and have not gotten a letter. It is not clear to me reading this thread if anyone who has only the no-fee card has received the letter. I am wondering if I should, in the meantime, switch to a credit card where I get points with a certain hotel chain.

I have both cards. I got a letter for each card yesterday.

My wife and I both have the no fee card and received the letter on Tuesday. Ironically we already have a FNBO cobranded card. We are thinking about, if possible, decline the new Amtrak card due to having a FNBO card already. Then maybe months later apply for a new Amtrak FNBO card in hopes of snatching bonus points for joining. Perhaps wishful thinking on our part. Time will tell!

I have yet to received the packet from AGR announcing the new card that many members received in the last 2 days. I have the fee card with a closing date of yesterday. Anyone else with the fee card not receive a packet yet?
Also have a fee card and wife has no fee card. Neither have received any packet on the new card

Strangely, there are 2 envelopes on my Informed Delivery this morning, and I only have the $79/yr card. I'm curious to see what's in them, but my mail doesn't get delivered until around 4pm.

Or maybe the USPS messed up and photographed the same one twice.
I have one envelope in my Informed Delivery and my mail can arrive any time between noon and 6pm.

I have an offering to apply for either the fee or the no-fee cards. Then just now I got a letter from Amtrak announcing "Exciting Changes" and "Great News!" I haven't read it all, but the first page says that in a few weeks I will receive a new card to replace my current card. It seems I won't have to apply for the new card.

Every current card holder will get a packet with the new information. I received two because I have both cards still.

Have any of you who have received the letter about the FNBO card have only the no-fee card? I ask this because my sister has the fee card and got the letter and I have the no-fee card and have not gotten a letter. It is not clear to me reading this thread if anyone who has only the no-fee card has received the letter.
I have the fee card; my wife the no-fee. We both got the packet on the same day. Her packet clearly says no-fee.

Strangely, there are 2 envelopes on my Informed Delivery this morning, and I only have the $79/yr card. I'm curious to see what's in them, but my mail doesn't get delivered until around 4pm.

Or maybe the USPS messed up and photographed the same one twice.
So mail finally showed up late just before 6 today. I only got one packet, for the fee card. The 2 photos on Informed Delivery were indeed a USPS foul-up.

Since I had planned to transition to the no-fee card, I guess I'll have to cancel my BofA card and apply for the new no-fee card when it goes public. I might get bonus points if they're offered, but I wouldn't be surprised if recent BofA AGR cardholders are excluded from any bonus offer.

As I indicated in a previous post, I might opt out of this offer. Since I already have an FNBO account I called the FNBO Customer Service line to discuss this matter. The knowledgeable rep said in order to opt out on the AGR FNBO credit card call 855-489-6174. This is an automated line that is identified as “Amtrak Guest Rewards Credit Card Change In Terms Notification Line”. After an introductory spiel you have the option to opt out of the offer. Opting out is final however so it is best to think this decision out before doing so.

As I indicated in a previous post, I might opt out of this offer. Since I already have an FNBO account I called the FNBO Customer Service line to discuss this matter. The knowledgeable rep said in order to opt out on the AGR FNBO credit card call 855-489-6174. This is an automated line that is identified as “Amtrak Guest Rewards Credit Card Change In Terms Notification Line”. After an introductory spiel you have the option to opt out of the offer. Opting out is final however so it is best to think this decision out before doing so.
That same number (which is shown in the "Important Changes" section of the mailed notice) also has an option to speak to a Customer Service Rep.

Looking through the fine print - Terms and Conditions, Bonus Earnings: Amtrak will award 1,000 TQP for every $5,000 in Net Purchases.
That is the same as the outgoing World Card. EXCEPT, what I do NOT see is the 4,000 TQP annual limit!
I guess there is no TQP limit with the new Preferred card!

Last edited:
I received letters for both the fee and no fee cards even though I cancelled the fee version a couple months ago. So I assume I will still be sent both cards. Are we confident that all purchases between now and October 23 will earn AGR points?

I received letters for both the fee and no fee cards even though I cancelled the fee version a couple months ago. So I assume I will still be sent both cards. Are we confident that all purchases between now and October 23 will earn AGR points?
I believe so. I don't have any reason to believe otherwise.

Last edited:
Good summary but still not sure what happens to existing BofA card. I’m assuming it will still be valid after 10/23 but no longer earn points. I hope so as I have a bunch of repetitive payment accounts tied to it (streaming, newspapers, phone, etc). It will take a while to transition those to the new card and that can’t start until we actually get it next month.

Good summary but still not sure what happens to existing BofA card. I’m assuming it will still be valid after 10/23 but no longer earn points. I hope so as I have a bunch of repetitive payment accounts tied to it (streaming, newspapers, phone, etc). It will take a while to transition those to the new card and that can’t start until we actually get it next month.
I am making the assumption that the BOA card will not be valid after 10/23. After hearing the rumor of the change, I switched my automatic payments to another credit card.

If they are automatically switching people to the new FNBO card, I don’t see how they could automatically keep the BofA card open as well. Fundamentally, these are credit accounts, and I’m under the impression that a bank can’t just automatically open a new credit account/credit line. That’s why, in the past when accounts remained open after AGR switched, you had to apply for the new card. It’s not about the points earnings, it’s about there being an open credit account on your record and all of the obligations and other stuff that comes with it. A bank can transfer your account to another bank (as is being done here), but they can’t just open another one in your name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back