AGR Credit Card change (October 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the preferred method of payment stored on the Amtrak app/website? Will that be changed over for us or will we have to update that as well.

Exactly. I use my hotel card for rooms, airline cards for flights, and my Reserve for restaurants (major use) and as a backup for hotels and flights on brands other than my main hotel and airline cards.
I’ve been using my AGR card exclusively or almost so basically since my credit finally got good enough to qualify for it. I have an Amex Green card I use for one recurring expense, I use my ConocoPhilips card for gas (25 cents/gal off cash price, and Conoco/Philips 66 stations are already usually the cheapest around in my area and TopTier qualified to boot), my Apple Card for Apple purchases and usually also to handle watch purchases because it’s a monthly cycle so I know if I arrange for the purchase of a watch on the first, I have 60 days to get the money in order- I’m a watch collector), and my Boscov’s card for Boscov’s purchases, but the rest I simply cycle one charge a year on to keep all dozen or so current.

When I read the rumors that Amtrak might not have successfully found (or endeavored to find) a BOA replacement I discussed the idea of upgrading my Amex to platinum with my wife, but I’m happy there is still an AGR card. It has paid for transportation for almost all my major vacations basically since I got it. And I almost never otherwise ride Amtrak.

I may have missed this in the thread, but if I cancel my wife's BOA AMTK card and one of my BOA AMTK cards before Oct 23rd (to avoid the annual fee), will the points in our AGR account still transfer to FNBO?

I may have missed this in the thread, but if I cancel my wife's BOA AMTK card and one of my BOA AMTK cards before Oct 23rd (to avoid the annual fee), will the points in our AGR account still transfer to FNBO?
Any points you have in your AGR account will remain the same. Once in your account the points are yours.
The credit card (old or new) has nothing to do with your point balance.

Any points you have in your AGR account will remain the same. Once in your account the points are yours.
The credit card (old or new) has nothing to do with your point balance.
As for purchases made in the billing cycle during which you cancel, which have not yet been credited on the AGR account, I think that is unknown at this time. The Terms & Conditions say that your account must be open and in good standing to receive points.

If you're in that situation, feel free to call BofA and ask. I've talked to them a couple of times about the conversion, and they've been straightforward and unbiased by the potential closing of the account.

According to Informed Delivery, I should receive my info today, should being the key word. As I indicated earlier, I don't exactly trust our local mail delivery service. BTW, living the sheltered life I do 😁, I'd never heard of Informed Delivery until this thread. Wish I'd had it sooner; that way I could have notified the post office when I didn't get something I was supposed to, which has happened more times than I've liked. As for the card, I use the Guest Rewards card almost exclusively. Almost all of my travel is done by Amtrak and it pays to get points for travel, as I wouldn't be able to afford to go too far without them, especially with the way sleeper prices have risen. I do have a couple of cards I keep in reserve for emergencies too.

I'd never heard of Informed Delivery until this thread. Wish I'd had it sooner; that way I could have notified the post office when I didn't get something I was supposed to, which has happened more times than I've liked.
Be aware that items pictured in Informed Delivery sometimes don't show up in the mailbox until a day or 2 later.

Got a letter from FNBO today. After a brief review, found the new benefits of the card are:

1. 2 Points for $1 on dining, transit, and rideshare.
2. Anniversary Station Lounge Pass.

With the annual FEE BUMP UP to $99!
Well, getting 2 points on VIA now will ease that $99 pain for me. On the old card, rail travel other than Amtrak was excluded from the 2 points for "travel" and only got one point. Since I travel Vancouver-Toronto every year, that means 1300-1600 points (assuming they use USD to determine the points).

And, whew, it finally showed up in today's informed delivery. I don't normally check Informed Delivery, but my mail person has a penchant for putting mail in the wrong box, plus there is a nearbly address nearly the same as mine (ST instead of PL). It still hadn't yet shown up when I checked my mail yesterday and was starting to suspect it had been misdelivered. So far they haven't misrouted anything important (I was on pins and needles waiting for my renewed passport last year, though).

My informed delivery stuff usually shows up on the same day, or not at all, receiving it only when a neighbor drops the piece off. So final test will be when I go out to my mailbox.

Last edited:
What about the preferred method of payment stored on the Amtrak app/website? Will that be changed over for us or will we have to update that as well.
Pray, pray that you'll have to change it yourself. I don't want Amtrak IT to touch anything unless it is absolutely necessary, though they often do with, shall we say interesting, results. We'd probably wind up with our accounts locked up somehow.

Last edited:
There will need to be some changes on our end. First off all accounts where you buy will need to be changed over to the FNBO CC #. . Thats Amazon, eBay, EZ pass, hotels, gas stations and a dozen others. Also since we have no savings or checking account at FNBO it won't be possible to see statements in real time or use FNBO bill pay. The transition is doable but I sure wish that the Guest Rewards card was with a local area bank

Also since we have no savings or checking account at FNBO it won't be possible to see statements in real time
Don't know what you mean by that. I have lots of credit cards at banks where I don't (or used to not) have deposit accounts. That's never stopped me from being able to log on and view the credit card accounts.

Bill Pay is a checking account feature. It has nothing to do with a credit card.

I just logged into my Bank of America AGR card online using my mobile app. Got a message that said my card will be closed on Oct. 23, 2022. I will not be able to make any purchases after that date. It also said that any and all auto payments after that date will be canceled. It also said I would not be able to access my account online after that date.

Don't know what you mean by that. I have lots of credit cards at banks where I don't (or used to not) have deposit accounts. That's never stopped me from being able to log on and view the credit card accounts.

Bill Pay is a checking account feature. It has nothing to do with a credit card.
I do not use my bank's bill pay at all except for my local water district whose on line payment system charges an additional service fee for using it. I prefer to to pay on my creditor's sites, so they credit it immediately and have direct record of the payment.

If FNBO allows online payment on their card, I'll be perfectly happy.

I just logged into my Bank of America AGR card online using my mobile app. Got a message that said my card will be closed on Oct. 23, 2022. I will not be able to make any purchases after that date. It also said that any and all auto payments after that date will be canceled. It also said I would not be able to access my account online after that date.
I just logged in online on my computer and got the message. I do not use the mobile app. Here is a screen shot.
card.jpg

I don't use the card much - both my wife and I have them to keep our AGR points safe between infrequent train trips and have one recurring charge that goes to each to keep them active. Plus we're in the middle of a multi-stage move so no guarantee the new cards will go the current address or get properly forwarded So being a true railroader ("in case of doubt or uncertainty, take the safest course of action"), those periodic charges have been moved to other cards for now and once we have the FBNO cards, we'll re-establish the recurring charges.

One FYI item: if you make a purchase now on your BoA card, then return or cancel it after the transition to FNBO, the “refund to original form of payment” will be pointed back to the old BoA card. In my past experience with change of banks like this, the credit will end up at FNBO. However, it is worth watching.

One FYI item: if you make a purchase now on your BoA card, then return or cancel it after the transition to FNBO, the “refund to original form of payment” will be pointed back to the old BoA card. In my past experience with change of banks like this, the credit will end up at FNBO. However, it is worth watching.
I'm sure that has been addressed...such transactions will be bumped over to the corresponding new account.

The card number and account number MUST change, and therefore you MUST update anything which has your card number on file (e.g., Amtrak's web site). That's because the first six digits of any credit card account number specify the issuing bank (akin to a check's routing number) - and since that's changing here, everything else has to change, too.

I'm guessing that Amtrak will see more revenue from the new arrangement as much of FNBO's revenue likely comes from servicing credit cards, can handle it more efficiently and for them it is a bigger piece of the pie than at B of A.

Yes, making more money is the entire point of switching the credit card issuing bank. Most big airlines don't just make more money on credit cards than on carrying passengers; in many years, they lose money carrying passengers and make all their profit by selling points, almost all of those to banks.
Bank of America has said that they are dropping credit cards that earn outside partners' points, and focusing their attention on their in-house credit cards (which earn rewards that BoA controls). For a larger bank that can operate their own rewards system, obviously controlling both the earning and burning of rewards offers more profit than just the earning side. FNBO doesn't have its own in-house rewards – indeed, their specialty is in "white labeled" products offered for others – and appears to be willing to pay more for a new outside rewards partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back