AGR Credit Card change (October 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the October 22 billing of your annual fee happening because that’s when it would have been due on your BOA card, or is everyone getting billed right away? I just paid my annual fee in April so hopefully it’s the former.
October is (was) the normal anniversary (AF billing) of my BofA card.

Last edited:
It's probably too early to wonder...but any ideas/tips about automating future credit card payments when the card shifts over to FNBO?

Everybody's circumstances differ, but here are mine: I have a modest checking account at Bank of America, mainly 'cause it's the closest ATM to me. (Never mind that I've hardly used cash since the pandemic started. Still, that was the idea.) So it was easy to set up auto-payment from my checking account to the card on the due date. I have no intention of opening a checking account at FNBO so I'm wondering how I'll handle logistics.

My experience is that some credit-card issuers make it easy for you to set up auto-payment from an unaffiliated bank. Some make it hellishly hard.

It's probably too early to wonder...but any ideas/tips about automating future credit card payments when the card shifts over to FNBO?

Everybody's circumstances differ, but here are mine: I have a modest checking account at Bank of America, mainly 'cause it's the closest ATM to me. (Never mind that I've hardly used cash since the pandemic started. Still, that was the idea.) So it was easy to set up auto-payment from my checking account to the card on the due date. I have no intention of opening a checking account at FNBO so I'm wondering how I'll handle logistics.

My experience is that some credit-card issuers make it easy for you to set up auto-payment from an unaffiliated bank. Some make it hellishly hard.
BofA Bill Pay supports eBills. Considering FNBO's very large credit card servicing portfolio, I would expect them to support sending an eBill to BofA.

The BofA website says "You can set up AutoPay for some eBills." I don't know exactly what the restrictions are.

Very dumb question on my part, but a bit is related to Trollopian’s much more intelligent question above.

I don’t have the current BoA card. Will AGR allow people who don’t have it to apply for the new bank’s one—just like advertising any other credit card? Also, will it be necessary to have an account with FNBO to use it?

I avoid BoA, so I have gone for free hotel nights with points gained on hotel chain cards and then bitten the cost on Amtrak, but it would be nice to be able to try for points trips on the train as well.😊

Very dumb question on my part, but a bit is related to Trollopian’s much more intelligent question above.

I don’t have the current BoA card. Will AGR allow people who don’t have it to apply for the new bank’s one—just like advertising any other credit card? Also, will it be necessary to have an account with FNBO to use it?

I avoid BoA, so I have gone for free hotel nights with points gained on hotel chain cards and then bitten the cost on Amtrak, but it would be nice to be able to try for points trips on the train as well.😊
I'm sure FNBO will begin accepting applications for new AGR credit cards in the future.
I believe that probably won't happen until the transistion of BofA accounts is complete (on/after Oct 23). The new card will not be "active" until Oct 23 for anyone anyway.

Last edited:
I'm sure FNBO will begin accepting applications for new AGR credit cards in the future.
I believe that probably won't happen until the transistion of BofA accounts is complete (on/after Oct 23). The new card will not be "active" until Oct 23 for anyone.

Thank you—that’s very helpful.😊

Did the notice still say you can cancel within 30 days of billing and get the fee refunded? I wonder what would happen if you tried to do that within 30 days but after 10/23.

I'm also wondering. I was planning to downgrade to the no annual fee card, but always wanted to keep the account open when it transferred to FBNO.
My fee is posting October 5, so I am planning to call BOA around October 25 and see if I can still get a refund.

I'm also happy that FBNO announced the credit line will remain the same. The AGR card represents 80% of my total credit line with BOA, and is probably higher than what FBNO would typically give, but BOA should be willing to extend additional credit in the future if I apply for one of their cards again.

I missed the fact that my annual fee was already charged to my World Card at the end of the month, so I called B of A and was told that when I get my new FBNO card to call them and they will credit it to that new account. Obviously, I will still owe $20. I hope this information is correct. She confirmed I can still use my B of A card and earn points until Oct. 23 and I will not get another card from them, which is good news to me. Good riddance to B of A.

Received and email from BoA today saying my card will not be usable after 10/20/22 and I will not be able to access the account.

One thing I have not seen addressed concerning the BoA to FNBO transition is that we will not have any access to a physical bank branch. Last year the Amtrak reservation computer malfunctioned and caused my account to be suspended by Mastercard. Mastercard told me the only solution was to go to a BoA branch office and have the bank call MC. I did that and it was resolved but with the new card I would have been out of luck.

I just got the letter today saying that I will get a new card with the new company in October.
I closed the account with BankofAmerica over a month ago!
Was hoping to reapply with the new company for a new bonus sign up sometime next year.
Anyone else have this happen?

I just got the letter today saying that I will get a new card with the new company in October.
I closed the account with BankofAmerica over a month ago!
Was hoping to reapply with the new company for a new bonus sign up sometime next year.
Anyone else have this happen?

I got a letter for the World Mastercard that I cancelled the end of August. Not sure if they pulled the list too early for the initial announcement or what. We'll see if I get that card in October...

"No foreign transaction fees!" is not featured as one of the benefits, although BOA rather prominently proclaimed it. The cardmember agreement states that the may (my italics) charge a foreign transaction and the amount of the fee will be listed in the Schedule. The cardmember agreement appears to be a generic cardmember agreement for the bank and not specific to AGR card. The "revised terms," which are specific to the AGR card, do not list a foreign transaction fee, just the annual fee, cash advance, cash equivalent, balance transfer, returned payment fees. My interpretation is the may coupled with not listing a foreign transaction fee means there is not one. They certainly have not disclosed it. Since I go to Canada quite a lot, and I charge everything I possibly can to my AGR card, this is an important issue to me.
Every international purchase incurs a foreign transaction fee. The only difference is that some accounts reimburse this fee behind the scenes. My guess about "may" is that there was some sort of threshold, such as a maximum number of transactions or a maximum purchase price, that may not be reimbursed. That said I would assume the threshold was set well above typical consumer spending and unless you're creating a bunch of manufactured spend you were okay.

Doubtful they would do so automatically. Once that credit limit is tied to the card, it'll stay with that card even with the transfer to the new bank. At this point BoA may not be able to even adjust that limit.
If you receive a raise or bonus the bank may send an invitation to request an increase but that's as far as I've seen them go. The way it was explained to me is that banks can obviously see many of our financial details but the act of requesting more credit puts the burden of accuracy and legitimacy on the consumer.

If you receive a raise or bonus the bank may send an invitation to request an increase but that's as far as I've seen them go. The way it was explained to me is that banks can obviously see many of our financial details but the act of requesting more credit puts the burden of accuracy and legitimacy on the consumer.
I have received an unrequested credit line increase on various cards in the past. Sometimes the bank sent a letter complimenting me on my good credit, other times I just noticed it was there. I usually pay my balances every month, but I think I got an increase recently after I'd let the balance on a card build up during a 0% interest free ride.

So take it with all the credibility that implies.

Says BoA card will continue accumulating points until the end of September.
Says new bank will be announced sometime in October and new credit card available sometime in October.

Says they can't fully implement the new bank linkup until the existing contract expires, so there will likely be a gap in the beginning of October between end of BoA card and start of new card.
I have been looking for that information for over a week. Thank you. Now to get the application when it posts.

I have been looking for that information for over a week. Thank you. Now to get the application when it posts.
That is obsolete information. There will be no gap. Old card will continue earning until Oct 22, and new card start October 23. Old card holders will automatically get a new card. No need to apply for the new card if you currently have a BofA AGR card.

Last edited:
I found the URL for the application for the FNBO Amtrack credit card and it can be sent in now with effective date 23 Oct 22. FNBO Guest Rewards Apply - LTO
I see that they're quoting an annual fee of $79 (not $99) for the fancier version of the card. The hubby's not interested in anything with an annual fee, though. It looks like the bonus points promotion (available with both versions of the card, although not as many bonus points with the no-fee version) is available if one applies by 12/2/22. I never like making impulse decisions late in the evening, though, so I think I will wait a bit before applying. (It would be nice if we could get 0% interest on a balance transfer -- but that might not be an included feature.)

I see that they're quoting an annual fee of $79 (not $99) for the fancier version of the card. The hubby's not interested in anything with an annual fee, though. It looks like the bonus points promotion (available with both versions of the card, although not as many bonus points with the no-fee version) is available if one applies by 12/2/22. I never like making impulse decisions late in the evening, though, so I think I will wait a bit before applying. (It would be nice if we could get 0% interest on a balance transfer -- but that might not be an included feature.)
I would guess the $79 fee is incorrect.
The page doesn't seem fully functional yet. Examine the URL in the link "FNBO Guest Rewards Apply - LTO"
The link to apply isn't active yet ... look at the URL "FNBO Guest Rewards Apply - LTO"
zh.amtrak dot com/sdaemtest/apply

Last edited:
I just got my first (and probably last) paper bill from BOA. What's interesting is that my billing cycle starts at the 19th of the month, so I would think that I would get one more bill from BOA, as the new card doesn't come online until October 23. Maybe I will get one more paper bill. The due date on my bills is around the 15th of the month, so what's finalized on October 19 isn't due until November 15. Not sure how that's going to be handled. I hope they don't make things confusing so I "accidentally" have a balance subject to interest charges. I don't mind paying the annual fee, but the last thing I want to do is carry a balance on which interest is charged, esepcially given the recent moves by the Fed, raising interest rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back