AGR Credit Card change (October 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the last test passed. I paid my bill on FNBO's site using ACH transfer, which is my customary method for all bills. It cleared with no problem and FNBO posted it. So everything is good with them as far as I am concerned.

Just curious -- you log into each site where you owe a bill? That's what the FNBO rep suggested to me, but I prefer to log in just ONCE on my bank's billpay site, and pay several at the same time. For the moment, my bank is sending a check in the mail, old-fashioned way, though I gave them a really hard time yesterday about whether we live in the digital age or not! All the others go by ACH, and I still don't understand why FNBO has to be different.

Just curious -- you log into each site where you owe a bill? That's what the FNBO rep suggested to me, but I prefer to log in just ONCE on my bank's billpay site, and pay several at the same time. For the moment, my bank is sending a check in the mail, old-fashioned way, though I gave them a really hard time yesterday about whether we live in the digital age or not! All the others go by ACH, and I still don't understand why FNBO has to be different.
My auto pay with pays the FNBO bill by ACH I think. It's immediate on the designated payment due date. It's paid from my bank account.

I generally have the payee do the pull so that they cannot complain about not receiving something from someone who was supposed to push. I had in the past pushers send checks or whatever too late and then I having to unravel the mess. Just my bad past experience cause me to settle for this way. I am completely neutral about what others choose to do and have no recommendation on the matter. Then again it is not like I have dozens of outfits that I owe money to. The total number is less than half a dozen.

When we paid our two credit cards last week (scheduled ACH), we simply provided to FNBO the routing and account info of our home account. When the scheduled date occured the payment happened, our checking account showed a debit to FNBO and FNBO showed a payment to our credit card.
No need to log in to our home account, it was all done from FNBO.

When we paid our two credit cards last week (scheduled), we simply provided to FNBO the routing and account info of our home account. When the scheduled date occured the payment happened, our checking account showed a debit to FNBO and FNBO showed a payment to our credit card.
No need to log in to our home account, it was all done from FNBO.
That is essentially what I do too. You just have to set it up once for periodic pull by the payee.

Yes, I log onto all the sites and do a "pull" from my bank rather than a "push" from my bank's bill pay. The reasoning is the creditor is aware of the payment as soon as I make it, and have proof I paid them directly from my creditor.

Ironically, paying by check still goes through ACH. Your check is scanned by the receiving bank and the scanned routing, account and payment information is submitted through ACH. The days of shipping physical checks between banks, or, in the case of non-local banks, bank to regional Federal Reserve bank, that Fed to payor bank's regional Fed, that Fed to payor bank, is long past.

My new autopay went smoothly yesterday. It was my second payment to FNBO; the first had to be done manually (well, electronically, but nevertheless required input from me), and I simultaneously set up future automatic payments. All of my reward points are also posting without a hitch...daily towards the end of the BofA era, monthly from FNBO. Am I lucky? Yes. I don't doubt that others have experienced hiccups but for me this has been seamless. Oh, except for hilariously categorizing my weekly farm-market haul as "professional services," see AGR credit card change (October 2022).

That is essentially what I do too. You just have to set it up once for periodic pull by the payee.
So do you look at the bill before the payment is pulled? And do they just pull the "amount due?" I've always had reservations about letting creditors automatically pull the "amount due" without any input from me. Now that I have automatic Social Security deposits, it might be less of an issue, LOL. I think I can set up a notification from my bank for the withdrawal.

Ironically, paying by check still goes through ACH. Your check is scanned by the receiving bank...
I did learn that by talking to my bank. Which makes their sending a check through the mail even more ridiculous! I have two banks, and they both set it up this way.

So do you look at the bill before the payment is pulled? And do they just pull the "amount due?" I've always had reservations about letting creditors automatically pull the "amount due" without any input from me. Now that I have automatic Social Security deposits, it might be less of an issue, LOL. I think I can set up a notification from my bank for the withdrawal.
We review the statement each month. We set up payments each month, not repeating. I don't want them to pay the balance automatically in case we have a big expenditure (home, auto repair) so my checking account doesn't get overdrawn! So we don't forget, we have payment due reminders set for 10 and 5 days out.

I am a stickler for being in the loop, even automatic ones. I have a standard procedure of doing my budget planning for the upcoming month done sometime in the last week of each month, usually done after all the credit card statements are available. So I just take a glance at what is going to be deducted to enter it into my budget spreadsheet to make sure that nothing is completely off the wall and that I will have enough money in the bank to cover all dues. Since I basically pay myself over and above SS I move enough money into the bank account from which payments are drawn (including paying estimated tax to IRS), to cover everything. That is not automated. I do that one transfer by hand. That way no money can leak out unknown to me, and there is a full audit trail.

And of course, I get notification of all withdrawals and all credit card charges and payments by text, so nothing happens unnoticed by me.

Did anyone get a statement or notifiction of the withdrawal from FNBO prior to the automatic payment? Capital sends me a email about amount due at the close of the statement prior to withdrawing payment.

Last edited:
Apparently I'm "old school," in that I write paper checks to pay my monthly FNBO bill (as I do my other credit card bills). There are certain fixed payments automatically withdrawn from my checking account each month (f.ex., mortgage, life insurance); however, variable bills (utilities & credit cards) I prefer to pay via paper checks, as they make a more concrete reminder of how much the hubby and I are spending each month.

Today, I received an email notification of my current FNBO statement. I paid it online from my checking account, which information had been saved from when I input the routing number and account number last month. The AGR points generated from this statement have been posted accurately to my AGR account. I am pleased that there have been no blips so far. :)

I didn't have the BofA AGR card but I got the new FNBO one which I've been using for the last month.

My statement closed 5 days ago. It says on the PDF of the statement that I earned almost 40k AGR points (bought 3 LD Amtrak tickets and got my bonus!)

But...the points didn't post to my AGR account. :(

I just called FNBO and they were super nice. The gent said my points had been credited to some other AGR account, but he put in my correct AGR number and told me the points would be transferred. I had called about this several weeks ago and they weren't able to do it at that point. Now it seems they can.

Fingers crossed! I'll report back...
Update: Still no points posted. I called FNBO again today and they transferred me to the AGR customer service line. The AGR rep confirmed that my AGR account was linked to the FNBO credit card. He said it might take another 1-2 billing cycles for the points to post. The waiting continues...

On the plus side, took the CZ from Denver to Emeryville last week. It was GLORIOUS!!! (and even on time!) :D

My FNBO statement closed on Wednesday. @neroden's post made me quickly go over to AGR to see if they posted. They had. Plus, the TQP limit question may be answered. I had already reached the 4K TQP limit for card spend prior to the FNBO cutover. When I checked, I had another tranche of 1000 TQPs. So the limit does appear to be off.

Seems the bonus has been reduced to 20,000 points ?! I got the 30k bonus today for a family member and want to apply for other cards for the rest of the family. But the bonus is a measly 20k.. Hold my breath they will do the 50k promotion as in the past?? :)

30k was a limited time offer til sometime last week I believe. They'll probably do another at some point.

FYI—-My wife and I both opted out to receive the FNBO card when it was first offered by AGR. After the credit card transition from BOA to FNBO was official, my wife applied for the AGR FNBO card offering the 30k point bonus. She promptly received the card and during the first cycle period spent the 1k dollar requirement. Her closing date was yesterday and today received the 30k bonus points.

FYI—-My wife and I both opted out to receive the FNBO card when it was first offered by AGR. After the credit card transition from BOA to FNBO was official, my wife applied for the AGR FNBO card offering the 30k point bonus. She promptly received the card and during the first cycle period spent the 1k dollar requirement. Her closing date was yesterday and today received the 30k bonus points.
I'm in the same situation, but although it's been at least 6 weeks since I was approved by FNBO, and 5 weeks since I received the card and made charges of $1,000, I still have no statement and no payment due on the website. The only wrinkle is that I had been billed the annual fee by BofA, which was subsequently credited back when I closed the account.

So I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind:
  • Did your wife receive new coupons in her AGR account, and when? I haven't yet, and I don't know whether it means there's a problem in linking the account, or they're just not added until after the 1st statement.
  • Has she been billed for the annual fee yet, and if so when?
Thanks.

I'm in the same situation, but although it's been at least 6 weeks since I was approved by FNBO, and 5 weeks since I received the card and made charges of $1,000, I still have no statement and no payment due on the website. The only wrinkle is that I had been billed the annual fee by BofA, which was subsequently credited back when I closed the account.

So I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind:
  • Did your wife receive new coupons in her AGR account, and when? I haven't yet, and I don't know whether it means there's a problem in linking the account, or they're just not added until after the 1st statement.
  • Has she been billed for the annual fee yet, and if so when?
Thanks.
One thing I should mention first is that my wife, prior to opening this account, already had a FNBO credit card with MGM. This may explain the hassle free scenario for her.

The AGR coupons were available in her account soon after the FNBO card was activated. It was pretty quick, well before the monthly closing date. The $99 annual fee was posted on 12/13 which coincided with the closing date. Her statement and payment due info is on the website as well.

Hope this helps and you get your hiccups with FNBO rectified.

I applied for the card in October, started using it early November and had spent $1000 on it by the end of November. The iOS app showed ~11/14 (a date in the PAST) as the first statement close date for weeks; I called FNBO and they said that's when the statement WOULD have closed but it didn't because the account was so new and verbally told me the real date would be 12/14, and eventually the app updated to show 12/14. Today 12/15 I was able to find the statement in the app, and see in the statement that points were awarded. Amtrak's point count didn't update immediately, but by the afternoon it was updated there. (And to answer joelkfla, I received the coupons on my Amtrak account soon after getting the card, and my annual fee was charged yesterday, on my first statement close date.) Hooray!

Here's the problem... I only got 20K points, not 30K. (Both the FNBO statement and my Amtrak account show 20K, not 30K). I know the extra 10K bonus offer ended early December, but since I applied for the card (and even spent the $1000) before that date, I should get the extra 10K points, right? fhussain44's post and Dovecote's post about getting the bonus points this week seem to confirm that yes, I should get those points.

Who do I call to get the missing 10K? FNBO or Amtrak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back