AGR Credit Card change (October 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I applied for the card in October, started using it early November and had spent $1000 on it by the end of November. The iOS app showed ~11/14 (a date in the PAST) as the first statement close date for weeks; I called FNBO and they said that's when the statement WOULD have closed but it didn't because the account was so new and verbally told me the real date would be 12/14, and eventually the app updated to show 12/14. Today 12/15 I was able to find the statement in the app, and see in the statement that points were awarded. Amtrak's point count didn't update immediately, but by the afternoon it was updated there. (And to answer joelkfla, I received the coupons on my Amtrak account soon after getting the card, and my annual fee was charged yesterday, on my first statement close date.) Hooray!

Here's the problem... I only got 20K points, not 30K. (Both the FNBO statement and my Amtrak account show 20K, not 30K). I know the extra 10K bonus offer ended early December, but since I applied for the card (and even spent the $1000) before that date, I should get the extra 10K points, right? fhussain44's post and Dovecote's post about getting the bonus points this week seem to confirm that yes, I should get those points.

Who do I call to get the missing 10K? FNBO or Amtrak?
I am certainly expecting to get 30,000. I also was approved in October, received the card on 11/9, and I charged $1,000 the day I received it. I saved the "Summary of Credit Terms & Reward Program" to a pdf, and it says I will get 30,000 points if I charge $1,000 anytime within the 1st 3 billing cycles. I had also called FNBO last month to make sure I wasn't excluded from the bonus point offer by previously having the BofA card.

So I just called FNBO, and was told the first closing date will be coming up next week. The rep could not explain why it's almost 6 weeks after getting the card. She also did not know any way to check if it was linked to the correct AGR account; in fact I had a hard time explaining to her that the AGR account is different from the credit card account. She was obviously working from home, as there was no background noise and she put me on hold several times so she could speak to her "advisor."

I'll see what, if anything, shows up in my AGR account next week. Goodness, all these 1st world problems! :)

I am certainly expecting to get 30,000. I also was approved in October, received the card on 11/9, and I charged $1,000 the day I received it. I saved the "Summary of Credit Terms & Reward Program" to a pdf, and it says I will get 30,000 points if I charge $1,000 anytime within the 1st 3 billing cycles. I had also called FNBO last month to make sure I wasn't excluded from the bonus point offer by previously having the BofA card.

So I just called FNBO, and was told the first closing date will be coming up next week. The rep could not explain why it's almost 6 weeks after getting the card. She also did not know any way to check if it was linked to the correct AGR account; in fact I had a hard time explaining to her that the AGR account is different from the credit card account. She was obviously working from home, as there was no background noise and she put me on hold several times so she could speak to her "advisor."

I'll see what, if anything, shows up in my AGR account next week. Goodness, all these 1st world problems!
My time frame was similar to yours and my points showed up. I imagine yours will too.

I applied for the card in October, started using it early November and had spent $1000 on it by the end of November. The iOS app showed ~11/14 (a date in the PAST) as the first statement close date for weeks; I called FNBO and they said that's when the statement WOULD have closed but it didn't because the account was so new and verbally told me the real date would be 12/14, and eventually the app updated to show 12/14. Today 12/15 I was able to find the statement in the app, and see in the statement that points were awarded. Amtrak's point count didn't update immediately, but by the afternoon it was updated there. (And to answer joelkfla, I received the coupons on my Amtrak account soon after getting the card, and my annual fee was charged yesterday, on my first statement close date.) Hooray!

Here's the problem... I only got 20K points, not 30K. (Both the FNBO statement and my Amtrak account show 20K, not 30K). I know the extra 10K bonus offer ended early December, but since I applied for the card (and even spent the $1000) before that date, I should get the extra 10K points, right? fhussain44's post and Dovecote's post about getting the bonus points this week seem to confirm that yes, I should get those points.

Who do I call to get the missing 10K? FNBO or Amtrak?
Figured it out. Later in the day yesterday, a $100 statement credit was added to my account.

See, I had managed to find a screen on the Amtrak website, when I was about to book a train ticket in October, that advertised 20,000 bonus points plus a $100 statement credit for spending a thousand dollars in the first three billing periods (and I applied on THAT screen). A separate offer from the 30,000 bonus points with no statement credit.

I thought it was a bug / displaying oudated info, but it seems that since I applied through that offer, that's the offer I got. I'm happy with that. 10,000 points CAN be worth more than $100, but I wasn't going to blow through my points anytime soon anyway, and I no longer have to justify the $99 annual fee for the first year when I came out $1 ahead in straight cash!

Thanks all.

Long time forum lurker, first time poster here. I applied for the amtrak rewards credit card at the beginning of the month. The online status of my application has said Pending since then. Just today I got a letter in the mail from FNBO telling me that they would like me to mail them copies of my drivers license, social security card, and 2 years of W2's. I am wondering if anyone has gone through the same thing or heard of such a request? I am also curious if a phone call to FNBO might be in order. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Long time forum lurker, first time poster here. I applied for the amtrak rewards credit card at the beginning of the month. The online status of my application has said Pending since then. Just today I got a letter in the mail from FNBO telling me that they would like me to mail them copies of my drivers license, social security card, and 2 years of W2's. I am wondering if anyone has gone through the same thing or heard of such a request? I am also curious if a phone call to FNBO might be in order. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
In my same experience, I'd say they're going to turn you down. Phone calls are of no help. You have to send in the required paperwork, and again in my experience, it won't make a difference. Even though my credit score exceeds 800, and all my payments have been on time, that made no difference. In the last phone call they told me they couldn't verify my identification (?), but encouraged me to reapply later if I wanted. I can only speculate what that was all about. Usually, I am instantly approved when applying for a card. I thought that perhaps because the cutoff deadline for the welcome bonus going from 30k to 20k AGR points was nearing, and I already have over 65k, might have been a factor. But there's no way of knowing.

In my same experience, I'd say they're going to turn you down. Phone calls are of no help. You have to send in the required paperwork, and again in my experience, it won't make a difference. Even though my credit score exceeds 800, and all my payments have been on time, that made no difference. In the last phone call they told me they couldn't verify my identification (?), but encouraged me to reapply later if I wanted. I can only speculate what that was all about. Usually, I am instantly approved when applying for a card. I thought that perhaps because the cutoff deadline for the welcome bonus going from 30k to 20k AGR points was nearing, and I already have over 65k, might have been a factor. But there's no way of knowing.
The hubby and I are usually instantly approved when we apply for credit cards, too, generally based on hubby's income as an attorney, and our doing our best to never keep an interest-bearing balance on any of our existing cards. There are a couple of department-store credit card accounts we could probably cancel (or might have closed by the issuer for lack of use). I anticipate substantial bills on this month's credit card statements (the main one, one tied to Amazon's rewards points, and to a lesser extent the new AGR Mastercard, which we've used for the double points on dining purchases). It'll be slightly painful, but we'll pay those balances in full, too.

One other possibility that happened to me when I was buying a house was having a similar name as someone who is in prison, on an FBI watch list, the No Fly List, or other registries of people the government has a file on. In my case, another person with the same first and last name (different middle name, different DOB, etc) in the same city I was trying to buy a house in was doing time for fraud. Lots of red flags, leading to months of red tape trying to prove my identity. I had to go through it all again 5 years later when I refinanced. A mortgage company may be willing to go through all the hassle of verifying my identity to satisfy the Feds, but a credit card bank like FNBO may decide it's not worth it and just wash their hands of the situation.

One other possibility that happened to me when I was buying a house was having a similar name as someone who is in prison, on an FBI watch list, the No Fly List, or other registries of people the government has a file on. In my case, another person with the same first and last name (different middle name, different DOB, etc) in the same city I was trying to buy a house in was doing time for fraud. Lots of red flags, leading to months of red tape trying to prove my identity. I had to go through it all again 5 years later when I refinanced. A mortgage company may be willing to go through all the hassle of verifying my identity to satisfy the Feds, but a credit card bank like FNBO may decide it's not worth it and just wash their hands of the situation.
I remember that, after my father-in-law passed away, his creditors were mistaking hubby (same first & last name, but different middle name) for him. I'm a little surprised that Son #1 (once again, same first and last name, but different middle name) hasn't had similar problems yet.

The legal reason for them declining it should always come to you in the mail. I am pretty sure that is actually the law along with other legalese about how to get your free report.

I'll see what, if anything, shows up in my AGR account next week. Goodness, all these 1st world problems! :)
Well, as I had feared when the coupons didn't show up in my account, FNBO screwed up and opened a new AGR account. I just called AGR after the points didn't appear in my account the day after the 1st statement finally dropped, and the agent said it would take 1-2 days to merge the accounts.

So I'm not too impressed with FNBO so far. Besides this foul-up, their "new" website is an empty shell. Anytime I try to do something, it tells me to go to the "classic" website. And I wasn't able to download transactions until after the statement dropped, but now the statement covers more than 30 days, and the download apparently includes only the most recent 30 days, and there is no option to download by a date range, just by statement period. What's more, when I downloaded in Excel format, it put the data in a .TXT file rather than .CSV, so it won't automatically load into Excel -- I have to save the file and then explicitly import it into Excel.

Well, at least they credited the points promptly and in the expected amount, albeit to the wrong account.

Just had my first issue with FNBO. I was trying to update Auto-Pay to a different bank account and found that they only take up to 16 digits for the account number. Mine is 17 which is the maximum permitted by the specifications for bank account numbers. Not a huge problem as I'm not closing the other account - just changing our money management around.

I thought that perhaps because the cutoff deadline for the welcome bonus going from 30k to 20k AGR points was nearing, and I already have over 65k, might have been a factor. But there's no way of knowing.
There's totally a way of knowing, when credit is denied they have to tell you why.

Your theory is ridiculous, as FNBO doesn't know/care how many points you already have, and wouldn't pass up the opportunity to make money off of a new customer over a piddling number of points.

Update: Still no points posted. I called FNBO again today and they transferred me to the AGR customer service line. The AGR rep confirmed that my AGR account was linked to the FNBO credit card. He said it might take another 1-2 billing cycles for the points to post. The waiting continues...

On the plus side, took the CZ from Denver to Emeryville last week. It was GLORIOUS!!! (and even on time!) :D
Final update: My points - and bonus - finally posted to the correct AGR account after this last billing cycle closed. Yay!

Curious if anyone else is disappointed with FNBO? I was so hopeful when it was announced since I had pretty terrible experiences with BofA, but FNBO seems to be quite a step down. Their app and website seem to be even worse than the BofA site and it seems they don’t integrate with any third party tool (like Plaid) that are useful for money management or budgeting.

I’d like to keep collecting AGR points, but the user unfriendliness of their tools makes me reach for other cards way more often, which kind of defeats the point.

Curious if anyone else is disappointed with FNBO? I was so hopeful when it was announced since I had pretty terrible experiences with BofA, but FNBO seems to be quite a step down. Their app and website seem to be even worse than the BofA site and it seems they don’t integrate with any third party tool (like Plaid) that are useful for money management or budgeting.

I’d like to keep collecting AGR points, but the user unfriendliness of their tools makes me reach for other cards way more often, which kind of defeats the point.
I've had no problems with them so far,it's been a seemless transition, and their AGR Awards are a little better than BOA!( plus they do not have a History of Flim-Flaming their Customers unlike so many of the Big Banks!)

Just got my December FNBO statement in today's mail. Continuing to earn double points on dining. Haven't yet checked my AGR account, but I expect to see the points from this month's spending added to the balance. Need to spend approx. $600 next month to meet the $1K spending threshold to earn the 12K bonus points (the bonus for the no-annual-fee card). Time to book an Amtrak trip, perhaps?

Just got my December FNBO statement in today's mail. Continuing to earn double points on dining. Haven't yet checked my AGR account, but I expect to see the points from this month's spending added to the balance. Need to spend approx. $600 next month to meet the $1K spending threshold to earn the 12K bonus points (the bonus for the no-annual-fee card). Time to book an Amtrak trip, perhaps?
FNBO does not break down 1x, 2x points, etc. like BofA did. Only a single points entry.

FNBO does not break down 1x, 2x points, etc. like BofA did. Only a single points entry.
My statement showed how many points I had earned from dining purchases (the one double-points category I had spent in) and how many points I had earned from other purchases, as a breakdown of the single "total points earned" entry.

My statement showed how many points I had earned from dining purchases (the one double-points category I had spent in) and how many points I had earned from other purchases, as a breakdown of the single "total points earned" entry.
Yes, it does show that. What I'm referring to is the posting on your AGR account. With BofA there were seperate entries for each type - 1x, 2x, etc. Easy to see without having to total up each type of purchase on your card statement. With FNBO, a single entry for all points each month is made.

When I applied online, there was nowhere to put an AGR account number, so I suspected this would be a problem at some point. So, I got my credit card statement and saw I got my 30K. Except my AGR account only should my paltry 2K points I have had for some time. After a call to AGR, I got it all straightened out. So AGR couldn't find the points at first, then said the found a new account opened up by FNBO. The best part is that AGR doesn't allow two accounts with the same e-mail address, so FNBO just made up a dummy address to get it opened. AGR said I am not the only one this has happened to, and they will get the points and the card attached to my original account within 5-7 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back