AGR points for unused tickets or change fees under new rules?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacorbett70

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Currently Amtrak awards zero points for no-shows. I found that when the conductor fails to scan my ticket and then I contact AGR to tell them I did show. Amtrak then allows points because I did show for the train.

I wonder if Amtrak might allow AGR points for those who purchase the new non-exchangeable fares and then don't use the tickets due to reasons beyond their control? The same for change fees for the mid-bucket fares.

Airlines don’t give FF miles to no shows. Airlines have a lot more verification if a person was or wasn’t on a flight though. Personally I’d submit the ticket to guest rewards and request the missing miles. They have no way of knowing if you were on the train or not. We can debate the honestly of it all night, I personally wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

No show means no show. No exceptions.

Back in July, a small group of us were traveling NYP-UCA in business class. For whatever reason, the conductor NYP-ALB failed to scan any BC tickets. Fortunately, the new conductor at ALB quickly discovered that our tickets had been cancelled due to no show out of NYP. He spent some time on the phone to Amtrak HQ having them reinstate our tickets. Passengers that got off at or before ALB likely stayed in no show status until they discovered it, if at all.

That incident only reconfirms my usually unnecessary efforts to make sure my ticket gets scanned as soon as reasonable after boarding.

...Fortunately, the new conductor at ALB quickly discovered that our tickets had been cancelled due to no show out of NYP. He spent some time on the phone to Amtrak HQ having them reinstate our tickets.
That incident only reconfirms my usually unnecessary efforts to make sure my ticket gets scanned as soon as reasonable after boarding.

I think they still cancel the return of a round trip ticket in case of no-show for the first leg.
I usually book two one-ways in case of a no scan, and recently got lazy and saved a few keystrokes so I will have to make sure my first leg gets scanned.

No show means no show. No exceptions.

Back in July, a small group of us were traveling NYP-UCA in business class. For whatever reason, the conductor NYP-ALB failed to scan any BC tickets. Fortunately, the new conductor at ALB quickly discovered that our tickets had been cancelled due to no show out of NYP. He spent some time on the phone to Amtrak HQ having them reinstate our tickets. Passengers that got off at or before ALB likely stayed in no show status until they discovered it, if at all.

Thanks for this post. My wife thinks I'm nuts when we board a transcon (CZ usually) and I search for conductor. The SCA usually informs the conductor of our presence but I want to make sure.

I really feel like since you can no longer change or cancel the trip you should get the points, anyway. But "should" doesn't really have anything to do with what Amtrak is doing these days.

Back