AGR Points (inconsistent cash/price price for roomette vs bedroom)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slither

Train Attendant
When researching prices for a future trip, it appears there's an interesting value change in the AGR points. The cash price for SL bedroom is higher then the roomette which I think is standard. When I switch the cost to points, the point cost for the roomette is extremely higher then the bedroom. Is there not standard set value on AGR points any longer ?

When researching prices for a future trip, it appears there's an interesting value change in the AGR points. The cash price for SL bedroom is higher then the roomette which I think is standard. When I switch the cost to points, the point cost for the roomette is extremely higher then the bedroom. Is there not standard set value on AGR points any longer ?
Nope, the AGR Points charged are based on the Rail Fare for each Passenger in the Room with No Discounts such as Senior etc.(And No Longer the Lowest Bucket Rail Fare)and the Bucket the Room is in when the trip is Booked.

Last edited:
No there is not. Some values may be different, especially on the former “blackout days”.

Also remember that the points amount is based on the full fare. Discounts (such as senior or NARP/RPA) are not allowed when using points.

Thank-you for your replies. Here is what I'm whining about.
OMA - NPV
12-29-19
Roomette - $352.00 Points - 24,288
Bedroom - $446.00 Points - 15,387
No discounts, two adults. Shouldn't the points be less for the roomette ?
The roomette points are usually around 9,800.
Probably should just get the bedroom

Call AGR, ask for a supervisor and ask your question. Something is wrong there.

Last edited:
I'd just grab the bedroom. Nice to have extra space.

I haven't seen such a difference, but I've often seen bedrooms for just a little bit more.
Once during a blizzard in Chicago I booked Amtrak from MI State (Lansing) to DC (by bus to Toledo, c.11PM, then Capital Limited to DC). However, the CL was >7 hours late into Toledo, arriving at 7AM.
I booked at the last minute. Roomettes were about $400 as I recall, but the family bedroom (on the bottom floor, you caan see out from both sides at the same time) was about $300. Which one do you think I booked?1

Back