AGR posting incorrect point totals for purchases

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been waiting a while but on 6/5/19 I paid $5,927 on a bill for the Bank of America World card. For that payment I was only credited for two transactions of 1843 and 173 points. I called AGR to ask them to explain the shortage and they said to call Bank of America. I call them and they said that AGR issues the points. Does anyone have an suggestions on how I can get someone to correct this error?

Were you paying off the balance of what was charged last month or were you paying on a carried over balance? I’m pretty sure you get the points the statement after the purchases are made, so if you have a carried over balance you wouldn’t get points for the amount paid, just the purchases as they should have already been credited. On your actual statement, near the bottom it will show how many points should be credited.

You didn't indicate whether $5,927 was the 'new charges' from the previous month or was the combination of prior 'carried balance' amount plus new charges. How much you actually PAY the credit card has nothing to with points transferred to AGR. It's based on how much you CHARGE each month. So, for example, if you had new charges of $922.50 and $81.50 of that total was Amtrak ticket purchases (assuming you have the fee AGR card, 3pts per dollar for Amtrak tix), and a prior balance of $5,005.50, then paying the total due $5,927 is how you got the 1843 + 173 points.

I'm posting here because I have a minor question that doesn't deserve a whole new topic.

My son and I recently had a very successful trip on Amtrak points. We had several changes and adjustments to our account because of train changes, but I was happy with the result. Now it seems like Amtrak has made an error in our favor, or at least gave us a very nice refund. But I can't figure it out because the AGR transaction page only shows credit and debit activity, no balances. My balance info in my last two monthly email statements and my current AGR page header vary widely. Is there any way to get a running total *with* balances?

I'm not complaining, just curious!

I'm posting here because I have a minor question that doesn't deserve a whole new topic.

My son and I recently had a very successful trip on Amtrak points. We had several changes and adjustments to our account because of train changes, but I was happy with the result. Now it seems like Amtrak has made an error in our favor, or at least gave us a very nice refund. But I can't figure it out because the AGR transaction page only shows credit and debit activity, no balances. My balance info in my last two monthly email statements and my current AGR page header vary widely. Is there any way to get a running total *with* balances?

Call AGR, they can go over your Account with you, and if there's any corrections needed, do it on the Phone.

Are you taking into account that you get a 5% refund when using points?

Of written AGR a couple of times about the 'lag time' of when they send out monthly email statements. I got mine yesterday afternoon. But as I figured out shortly after I got my first email statement, they are woefully behind reality. My trip taken on Aug 6 was not accounted for in the statement, even though that trip was posted to AGR on Sunday! The total points shown on the email also completely failed to show the points posted from Bank America as my credit card statement closed on the 7th.

In short, the emailed points information is completely worthless and too late to be of any value. So, when I want to know my total points as of right now, there's no other way than to logon to AGR and clicking 'account overview'. Also note that all transactions listed (one must click 'transactions' to see them all) are dated for the date the activity occurred, NOT when they actually posted to AGR. Believe it or not, when I checked my account on Monday, the 1000 TQPs for $5K spending dated 7/1 was added to my transactions. I was stunned to find them THAT far behind!

Thanks for the ideas. The short version is that our cross country trip had several adjustments before we left, because of Amtrak changes. No problem. But for various reasons we were 9 hours late into Salt Lake City, so we decided to bail out and use some FF miles to get to Portland. We had a great time on the train but had enough. So I called AGR and told them we wouldn't be using the bedroom from SLC to SAC or from SAC to PDX, just so they could resell it if they wanted to. I didn't ask for any sort of adjustment.

I never received any sort of email, but when I got home I found a manual credit from AGR on my account for the entire trip, plus two new coupons for 40% off future trips (not sleepers, unfortunately). That seems awfully generous. And as mentioned, my current AGR page and my two previous emails don't match up in any way. I guess I'll just wait for a cycle or two and see if it sticks.

Back