AGR Redemption - 2 Adults plus Infant

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was asked about booking a rail trip and how to do it on AGR points for two adults an an infant. I know the standard redemption rates, however is a Family Bedroom allowed to be booked on AGR points (on routes that have Superliners), and if so would it fall under the "Bedroom" catagory as opposed to the "Roomette" catagory. I don't think they mind squeezing into a Roomette, however it will be the first trip overnight with the infant so it may be tight. A Bedroom is nice as there is more space, the car carrier can sit on the chair, and there is a in room restroom and sink, however there is a sizable point difference between the two.

Anyone have any experience with this? I generally know the answers to most Amtrak questions, but this one through me for a loop... figured someone here may know before I have a chance to call :)

EDIT: The trip would be in a Superliner so the Roomette would not have a sink/toilet nor would the family bedroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's one redemption, and since the infant doesn't need a ticket you can do a roomette if you want.

That said, I wouldn't do a roomette, no way that it's enough room for 2 adults and a baby.

Bedroom or Family Room would be fine.

Ah... I guess the real question is how would a Family Bedroom fit into the redemption. They have the points to get a bedroom but was hoping to just redeem a Roomette to save points for a future trip. But thinking about it a Bedroom would be the best unless the Family Bedroom is fewer points as the toilet and sink are in-room. Thoughts?

The Family bedroom is the same redemption as a bedroom. That said, AGR and Amtrak itself has been fantastic in accomodating my grandson both prior to reaching the age of two and thereafter. (he just turned three) I have a redemption for a roundtrip two zone to Florida for a bedroom. My son had a shift change and would have trouble finding day care, We had booked our redemption, I called AGR back, and they simply added my grandson on the reservation. (He's as excited as we are!) We have traveled with him in a roomette in the past, but as stated above, it is pretty cramped.

If the Family Bedroom and the Bedroom are the same I'd lean towards the Bedroom. The infant is only about 3 months old and can easily fit in the car carrier in the chair in the bedroom. The lower bunk also allows plenty of room to change him. And the in-room sink and bathroom make life much easier than carrying him around to the other restrooms. The Roomette would be small but would save a lot of points for the trip.

Opting for the train as it is much easier to watch, change and feed him than while driving a car. Plus he seems to like that seat as he can look out the window at all that is passing by as well. His first trip was on 11(29) on the detour routing from EMY-LAX to bring him to see relatives. Normally we do the drive but it was a nice break and the bedroom worked out quite well.

Wasn't sure about the redemptions though so I couldn't answer their questions. He travelled in Lower Level coach with mom on the way back north. Heard that coach attendant was amazing in bringing food from the lounge car as well with helping with diaper bags on and off. For a longer trip, a sleeper would be a must. Even though it is more points, in thinking about it, the bedroom seems more like a must in terms of comfort for all. Points are nice but need to keep the little one and mom happy too :)

That said, I wouldn't do a roomette, no way that it's enough room for 2 adults and a baby.
It's a matter of personal preference. We did a roomette last summer SEA-GFK round-trip with

a 12-month old and we were fine. It really depends on you, your baby, length of trip, etc.

Back