AGR Redemption Guidelines

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to post here that only a couple of days after posting a rant on that FlyerTalk thread about the lack of published routes starting from most of the Empire Builder to anywhere on the Sunset, the issue has been fixed. For the first time in probably forever (since the Coast Starlight didn't have a valid connection to the Sunset on the old schedule), there is now a published route with a guaranteed connection leaving from anywhere on the EB arriving to anywhere on the SL/TE. The routes were always published going from the SL/TE to the EB, it's just there was no corresponding return route from any station on the EB east of Whitefish to anywhere on the SL/TE.
I'm amazed at the speed with which this was solved.

Now, the holes have been filled, including routing from CHI on the EB, down the CS, and over the SL to wherever. You can make a nice two zone trip CHI-ELP by picking the right day so that you get this routing. Pick the wrong day and you'll get a straight shot down to SAS and connection to the SL. But, pick the right day and it won't connect there because of the thrice-a-week Sunset, and you get the long way instead.
:cool: Great News, looks like AGR Insider is on a Roll!!! Hopefully the other Areas of the Country will have their Oversights corrected Shortly! ;)

I just want to post here that only a couple of days after posting a rant on that FlyerTalk thread about the lack of published routes starting from most of the Empire Builder to anywhere on the Sunset, the issue has been fixed. For the first time in probably forever (since the Coast Starlight didn't have a valid connection to the Sunset on the old schedule), there is now a published route with a guaranteed connection leaving from anywhere on the EB arriving to anywhere on the SL/TE. The routes were always published going from the SL/TE to the EB, it's just there was no corresponding return route from any station on the EB east of Whitefish to anywhere on the SL/TE.
I'm amazed at the speed with which this was solved.

Now, the holes have been filled, including routing from CHI on the EB, down the CS, and over the SL to wherever. You can make a nice two zone trip CHI-ELP by picking the right day so that you get this routing. Pick the wrong day and you'll get a straight shot down to SAS and connection to the SL. But, pick the right day and it won't connect there because of the thrice-a-week Sunset, and you get the long way instead.
that is great but what a tight connection, one hour, between cs and sl
No, that's not really as tight as it might seem. For starters, the CS #11 almost always gets in early. For all the jokes about "Coast Starlate" and whatnot, it's timekeeping is actually pretty good over the last few years. Secondly, if the #11 is running late, they'll hold #2 to wait for it (within reason). Remember, there are a lot of people connecting from #11 to #2. Amtrak has a huge financial incentive to not have to put them up for a couple of days or fly them home.

In another thread where this was discussed, I actually went back six months and pulled every arrival time for #11 on the days when #2 was also running. There was only one day when #2 left before #11 arrived, and that was when #11 was delayed by several hours. All other times, either #11 got in in plenty of time, or they held #2. Even one day when the #11 arrived over two hours late, they still held #2.

So, I wouldn't worry about that at all. When I did the #11 to #2 connection just a couple of weeks ago, I was praying hard that we'd run into some massive delay, because I'd really love a LA vacation on Amtrak's dime. Alas, it was not to be. This connection appears to be as solid as anything else in the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice to have some good old fashioned R&R (ranting & resolving) once in a while.
DA: I love your definition of R&R! :) There's often a lot of the first R without much of the second.

Aaron: That's good to hear! Apparently the connection isn't as iffy as it sounds.

I'm glad your routes show up on Arrow now. I checked this morning, and mine still didn't. But I think they could be booked with a supervisor's help.

Tom: My reason for taking the CS would be the coastal scenery, so the SJ/bus routing would not be my choice of routes mainly for that reason.

Ryan: Catching up to the SL on a bus from LAX would be OK, but I wouldn't want to miss the scenery I mentioned to Tom, so I would be disappointed if pulled off the CS early.. A mini-LA vacation wouldn't be bad, except sleepers might not be available on the next day's train. Nothing's for certain, though.

Thanks guys!

Just got my new Amtrak timetable.

Another solution for your trip south to LAX: Arrive a day earlier than you had planned on the CS to Sacramento. Spend most of the day in the California Railroad Museum. Leave on the 523 or 723 at 5:30 or 5:40 AM. You do have to take a bus from San Jose to SLO then taking the Surfliner into LAX arriving about 7:10PM. You get the coastal views about 2 hours earlier.

As others have said, AGR Insider on FlyerTalk has been very responsive to everyone's questions and concerns about the new guidelines. The Insider asked us to send private messages of any "holes" we spotted in the Arrow reservation system that might make it difficult to redeem a zone reward. I sent in a missed connection I found between trains 98 and 51 at Washington that I posted about earlier in this forum. Within 24 hours of my private message to the AGR Insider, the connection was added to Arrow and is easily bookable online as a paid itinerary or over the phone as a reward. I've been really impressed with the Insider's responsiveness.

As others have said, AGR Insider on FlyerTalk has been very responsive to everyone's questions and concerns about the new guidelines. The Insider asked us to send private messages of any "holes" we spotted in the Arrow reservation system that might make it difficult to redeem a zone reward. I sent in a missed connection I found between trains 98 and 51 at Washington that I posted about earlier in this forum. Within 24 hours of my private message to the AGR Insider, the connection was added to Arrow and is easily bookable online as a paid itinerary or over the phone as a reward. I've been really impressed with the Insider's responsiveness.
That's awesome! Great to hear all of this.

Hopefully this is not too confusing as I am explaining it.

I have a question concerning having to get on a bus for part of your trip. I am planning a trip on the CZ from Emeryville - Little Rock. EMY- leaving at 9:10 a.m.- GBB arriving at 11:31 am on the CZ in Roomettes. Then I would get on a bus at 2:40p.m.- SPI arriving at 5:00 p.m. where I would then get on the TE at 5:14p.(in roomettes still) and arriving in LRK at 3:10 a.m.

Since I would have to get on a bus in Galesburg, could I actually take the CZ into Chicago (arriving at 2:50 p.m.) spend the night on my own dime and then be able to get on the TE the next day (leaving at 1:45 p.m......so it is within the 23.5 hr time mark) and still be able to get the roomettes all for my 2 zone award?

Any help would be appreciated.

The Galesburg to Springfield Bustitution (actually it's a Van) is THE Standard Amtrak Procedure for this Connection so AGR will Automatically Book this as the Default Route for your Trip! The Trip is through the Cornfields of Northern/Central Illinois via Peoria, the Drivers are Retired Gentleman, very Friendly and its Via Freeway so the trip is Generally Non-Stop and Rapid! If you want to go to Chicago and Spend the Night you either will have to be Running Very Late into Galesburg and Amtrak will put you up on their Nickel and Book you, Space Available, on the next Available Eagle or else Book a Seperate 1 Zone Award CHI-LRK or Buy a Ticket from Chicago to Little Rock on the Next Day's Eagle!

FWIW: Once when I was riding on a Late SWC from LAX-Galesburg (the Same Van makes a Connection between Galesburg and Springfield) and AGR Rebooked me from KCY-STL on the River Runner in BC and the Eagle from STL-AUS in a Roomette ! This would not be possible now because the River Runner Schedules have Changed and sometimes a Late SWC will miss Connections with the AM River Runner in KCY?

Thanks jimhudson! Just wanted to see what my options were. Looks like we will be meeting some very nice van drivers. :)

Thanks jimhudson! Just wanted to see what my options were. Looks like we will be meeting some very nice van drivers. :)
:hi: Be sure and use the Restroom and let them know if you want to get Snacks or Something to Drink Before you Leave Galesburg, they Will Stop, if on Schedule, since the Van Generally gets to Springfield Early!

And the Van can get Crowded if Full,! (with Luggage loaded in the Back!) The Best Seats are in the First Row Behind the Driver and the Shot-Gun Seat in Front! First Come, First Served!

jimhudson....We have a 3 hr. layover in Galesburg...is there something to do that would interest 2 adults and 2 young girls (8&10)?

Mom: I'm not familiar with your routing and certainly don't have the experience that Jim has, but from your post, it sounds like you *might* be able to, because of that "all sleepers" exception in the guidelines. But I may be totally missing something--I'm just learning! Is all of the rest of your trip (except for the van) going to be in sleepers? And would going to CHI make the routing circuitous and illogical? If so, that might nix it.

crescent2.....yes the rest of my trip would all be in sleepers. I just thought MAYBE because of the "all sleeper" exception we might be able to make an evening in Chicago on our dime of course. And then be able to pick up the train there and finish on to Little Rock.....all of course keeping it in the 2-zone award. If I had to make it an extra award just so I could go to Chicago I will just hop in the van and be "happy, happy, happy".

As said, I've not looked at that route, but they do allow *some* trips that weren't previously allowed before the guidelines were published earlier this month, even if they don't come up on Arrow, according to AGR Insider, who is a higher-up at Amtrak. It might be worth a try if you mention the all-sleepers exception to the agent. Have a great trip in any case!

jimhudson....We have a 3 hr. layover in Galesburg...is there something to do that would interest 2 adults and 2 young girls (8&10)?
You can explore the station and walk around town to check out the shops. When you're bored with that have a stop at the Landmark Cafe & Creperie...

2012-07-27144121_zps2c6b0751.jpg

2012-07-27150440_zps8008af60.jpg

2012LunchDinnerMenu2.jpg

For 6 years we have traveled south from LSE TO SAS.via an overnight on our own in NOL, then on to SAS. EB misses Texas eagle connection south by one hour. Published route LSE to Portland to LA to SAS 4+ DAYS!! and 3 zones. other logical route through NOL was one zone for sleeper. Because our NOL overnight is less than 24 hours will this still be allowed???

Perhaps. EB-CONO-SL isn't a published route. However, if you call up and ask, they can probably add it as a published routing.
Perhaps. EB-CONO-SL isn't a published route. However, if you call up and ask, they can probably add it as a published routing.
. Who do you call ??? AGR was adamant because it was NOT PUBLISHED ROUTE.

. Who do you call ??? AGR was adamant because it was NOT PUBLISHED ROUTE.
Edit: This post by AGR Insider is GREAT:
All of the train connections in our reservation system are entered manually by our national train operations center, after considering operational feasibility of publishing and guaranteeing the connection, on top of the simple "legality" under tariff rules. However, you are right that many otherwise workable connections are simply missing, or are available from one city but not from another.

The solution we have proposed to our agents is that if they feel a connection really should be available, but isn't, they can submit it to a supervisor for review and escalation if a customer asks for it. AGR can then ask train operations about adding it to the connection table; however, this is not an immediate process and research can take a few days. On the bright side, if a connection is added, it will be available to all other customers who might want it later, whether paying with money or with points.

For consistency's sake across all agents, the default will be to only book automatically generated itineraries. There is no other lowest common denominator that will ensure a consistent member experience, given the way our reservation system operates today.

One concern that I have that I don't think we have discussed on AU recently came up on Flyertalk with no response from AGR Insider. The new policies state that the max occupancy of the room for an AGR trip can only be the RECOMMENDED guidelines posted on amtrak.com for sleepers. This means that the max occupancy for a bedroom is 2 people - either 2 adults or 1 adult or 1 child.

My question is are family bedrooms still allowed to be redeemed at the bedroom rate?

My question is are family bedrooms still allowed to be redeemed at the bedroom rate?
If they weren't being allowed, I strongly suspect that would have been included in the rules. AGR is well aware that one could redeem for a family room; so I cannot imagine that they would stop allowing that and not make any mention of it. AGR is taking great strides IMHO to be more open and to streamline policies so that everyone can understand them and also have something to point too when an Agent goes rouge. So to suddenly eliminate something and make no mention of it doesn't make sense.

One concern that I have that I don't think we have discussed on AU recently came up on Flyertalk with no response from AGR Insider. The new policies state that the max occupancy of the room for an AGR trip can only be the RECOMMENDED guidelines posted on amtrak.com for sleepers. This means that the max occupancy for a bedroom is 2 people - either 2 adults or 1 adult or 1 child.
AGR Insider did respond to that concern - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21056510-post5.html

For what it's worth, I redeemed points for a family bedroom a few minutes ago at the bedroom rate (25,000 points for a 1 zone trip).

Back