Airline Meals - Why Not?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which raises the question: Why can Airline Crews " rest" on LH Flights and Amtrak Crews can't?

I don't mean why is it a rule, I mean why does this not compute? Don't most people sleep much better in a Train Sleeper than on a plane?
I don't believe they're required to rest. It's an 8 hour maximum flight duty per 24 hours (or something like that).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/135.267

FAA dictates active work hour restrictions for all onboard crew, not just the cockpit crew, unlike FRA which does not have anything to say about duty hours for OBS crew.

I am not sure exactly how things are handled on flights longer than 16 hours etc. One crew appears to rest for a while and then relieve the other crew for the cruise and then the first crew comes back after some number of hours, as it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a Chicago-Milan Alitalia flight several years ago I saw the cockpit crew actually go to bed. They had berths in the middle of the plane for them to sleep.

I know the intercontinental 777s have 4 or 6 or some such number of sleeping berths for the crew tucked away above the ceiling of the cabin in the tail section. At one point Boeing even proposed providing such for passengers along the rest of the fuselage, but that went nowhere.

I know the intercontinental 777s have 4 or 6 or some such number of sleeping berths for the crew tucked away above the ceiling of the cabin in the tail section. At one point Boeing even proposed providing such for passengers along the rest of the fuselage, but that went nowhere.
The pilots get their own sleeping/sitting quarters at the front of a 787. The rest of the flight crew has one in the back.

I saw a cutout of an A350, and there's a latch in the cockpit that leads down to the pilots' sleeping quarters. It was apparently relocated in newer versions to above the cabin.

The pilots get their own sleeping/sitting quarters at the front of a 787. The rest of the flight crew has one in the back.

I saw a cutout of an A350, and there's a latch in the cockpit that leads down to the pilots' sleeping quarters. It was apparently relocated in newer versions to above the cabin.
For those who are curious I found some details and several photos of crew rest berths here...

http://www.financetwitter.com/2014/08/secret-revealed-the-secret-chambers-where-pilot-cabin-crew-rest-sleep-photos.html

For those who are curious I found some details and several photos of crew rest berths here...
http://www.financetwitter.com/2014/08/secret-revealed-the-secret-chambers-where-pilot-cabin-crew-rest-sleep-photos.html
I found a cutaway of a 787.

b787_schem_02.gif

Back