Airo - Amfleet I replacement Siemens Inter City Trainsets (ICT)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Official rendering of the new ICTs, now known as the Amtrak Airo.

Attachments

• 758F62D1-D469-4DDE-9677-2FC8FF4A2D7A.jpeg
    758F62D1-D469-4DDE-9677-2FC8FF4A2D7A.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 0597C563-BFBF-4267-9260-459FB08F14BA.jpeg
    0597C563-BFBF-4267-9260-459FB08F14BA.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1A797C00-0620-4EA8-9725-68A7EA6866C3.jpeg
    1A797C00-0620-4EA8-9725-68A7EA6866C3.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 5
  • A75F54E8-0579-4A8D-8153-D7C3718F8114.jpeg
    A75F54E8-0579-4A8D-8153-D7C3718F8114.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I googled "Airo" by itself to see more pics, figuring Airo is a unique-enough (if slightly illiterate-looking) spelling. It turns out Airo is a brand of cannabis smoking products (vape pens, cartridges, etc.). :oops: To be fair, it's also an HVAC company, a drone & aerospace company, and a brand of CT scanner.🙂 Nowhere on the first page of google searches was Amtrak's Airo.

I wasn't loving the name when I first saw it, I'm liking it even less now. Acela's unique, Airo ain't.

Overall, I say so far so good. The only hesitation I have is the seats. It doesn’t seem wise to shrink the coach seat that much, unless it’s an ADA mandate. Even though these are going to be “short” haul equipment, some of the state supported services, and for that matter, the NEC, that these will serve carry many passengers for many hours at a time, and the Amfleet seats, width aside, also look far more comfortable for that kind of duration.

I wonder why Amtrak Media pulled the article with the photos that they had briefly posted on their site. Perhaps there is some sort of an announcement shindig coming up and someone jumped the gun? Or maybe one of the other users of the Airo moniker sent a cease and desist letter? I am sure we will hear more about it soon. I remember something like this happening with the first moniker "American Flyer" they came up with for what eventually came out as Acela.

I wonder why Amtrak Media pulled the article with the photos that they had briefly posted on their site. Perhaps there is some sort of an announcement shindig coming up and someone jumped the gun? Or maybe one of the other users of the Airo moniker sent a cease and desist letter? I am sure we will hear more about it soon. I remember something like this happening with the first moniker "American Flyer" they came up with for what eventually came out as Acela.
Amtrak tweeted this yesterday.

So yeah looks like the announcement is supposed to be today and some mistake led to the page going live yesterday.

I googled "Airo" by itself to see more pics, figuring Airo is a unique-enough (if slightly illiterate-looking) spelling. It turns out Airo is a brand of cannabis smoking products (vape pens, cartridges, etc.). :oops: To be fair, it's also an HVAC company, a drone & aerospace company, and a brand of CT scanner.🙂 Nowhere on the first page of google searches was Amtrak's Airo.

I wasn't loving the name when I first saw it, I'm liking it even less now. Acela's unique, Airo ain't.
Why the reference to "Air" a mode that Amtrak is supposedly competing with? Maybe "Railo" :D Nah!

I can see people saying I will be Airoing on the Airo as they pull out their vape pen, Oh wait, they are not allowed to do that! :D Ooops!

Why the reference to "Air" a mode that Amtrak is supposedly competing with? Maybe "Railo" :D Nah!
I actually like the real English word Arrow for a train. It's got railroad history and modern usage (Italy's Frecciarossa, Frecciabianca, and Frecciargento trains, or Red, White, and Silver Arrows). There's no need to resort to funky trademarkable spelling when there's not going to be another U.S. rail operator co-opting the name for their trains. 🙂

I actually like the real English word Arrow for a train. It's got railroad history and modern usage (Italy's Frecciarossa, Frecciabianca, and Frecciargento trains, or Red, White, and Silver Arrows). There's no need to resort to funky trademarkable spelling when there's not going to be another U.S. rail operator co-opting the name for their trains. 🙂
Would you believe I found out I was wrong only minutes after my posting? :oops: Metrolink is running a service with new DMUs and calling it the Arrow. So another U.S. rail operator is using the word Arrow.

There was also the famous London - Paris Boat Train Golden Arrow/Fleche d'Or which ran upto as late as 1972

I can see people saying I will be Airoing on the Airo as they pull out their vape pen, Oh wait, they are not allowed to do that! :D Ooops!
Ironic, Amfleet was designed to mimic an aircraft cabin and its replacement is called "Airo".

The new "Amtrak Airo" trainsets:
FkCp6z5XEBoCmPz

FkCp6z7XEBATplU

FkCp6z4XEA8CWAo

FkCp6z5XEBASRuS

Source:

Back