Airport delays, lost luggage, & flight cancellations (2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My EWR - DEL nonstop went mechanical yesterday, with hydraulic leak. So I was put up in a hotel with great view of the NEC close to where it emerges onto the Jersey Meadows from the North River tubes. So I watched trains all morning.

Now the reroute adventure begins … UA to MUC, LH to BOM, AI to CCU. UA handed me boarding cards with seat assignments for all the legs and checked my bag through all the way. Star Alliance is starting to look like more than a content free marketing term.

I will arrive at the destination 25 hours after the original schedule. I was offered cancellation of the trip as an alternative, but I turned that down. They also disbursed several hundred e-Dollars for future use.

Additional compensation for me is I get to experience LH Business Class on an Airbus A350-900.

Delays and cancellations have their pluses and minuses.

Over my last nine attempts my success rate is something like 55%.

F1 AA Delayed
F2 AA Busted
F3 AA Success
F4 NH Success
F5 NH Success
F6 NH Success
F7 NH Delayed
F8 AA Busted
F9 UA Success

No new aircraft/airlines and I was annoyed with 4:00AM wake-ups to catch replacement/rescheduled flights (twice!) but eventually I got where I was going.

Last edited:
My EWR - DEL nonstop went mechanical yesterday, with hydraulic leak. So I was put up in a hotel with great view of the NEC close to where it emerges onto the Jersey Meadows from the North River tubes. So I watched trains all morning.

Now the reroute adventure begins … UA to MUC, LH to BOM, AI to CCU. UA handed me boarding cards with seat assignments for all the legs and checked my bag through all the way. Star Alliance is starting to look like more than a content free marketing term.

I will arrive at the destination 25 hours after the original schedule. I was offered cancellation of the trip as an alternative, but I turned that down. They also disbursed several hundred e-Dollars for future use.

Additional compensation for me is I get to experience LH Business Class on an Airbus A350-900.

Delays and cancellations have their pluses and minuses.
At least you can get there from there with DaiIly Flights anc you didn't get bumped to Coach like Amtraks practice!👍

Last edited:
It turned into a collaboration of three airlines. But yes, just a one day delay with no downgrades. They had a lot of possibilities to choose from, and being a several million miler on *A might have helped too. Once in the past I was even rerouted the other way around the world!

Now chilling for a few hours in the Lufthansa Business Lounge in Munich. Thanks for the few things that go well in the middle of chaos.

Last edited:
I see a lot of delays and cancellations going on this year, I'm glad I don't fly anywhere
I've lost much of my interest in the act of flying but it cannot be avoided for many of the places I travel so I'm glad it still exists and is available to me, flygskam notwithstanding.

It turned into a collaboration of three airlines. But yes, just a one day delay with no downgrades.
I was downgraded ORD-SAT but was able to buy-up to F on UA for a similar price as would be refunded from AA so it was an easy fix.

Now chilling for a few hours in the Lufthansa Business Lounge in Munich. Thanks for the few things that go well in the middle of chaos.
How is the LH service in J?

I've lost much of my interest in the act of flying but it cannot be avoided for many of the places I travel so I'm glad it still exists and is available to me, flygskam notwithstanding.

I was downgraded ORD-SAT but was able to buy-up to F on UA for a similar price as would be refunded from AA so it was an easy fix.

How is the LH service in J?
The soft product including food and presentation is much better than the America big 3. The hard product is not as good as United’s.

UA owns the smallest share of the US4 and B6 wants to become #5 by merging with NK and/or codesharing with AA. If either or both of those plans succeeds B6 could represent a much more significant threat to UA's market position. UA is also busy renegotiating at least one major labor contract and having to plan around new tax laws that affect large businesses. In other words now is the time for UA to be gracious toward regulators so they can focus their political leverage on decisions of critical importance. Instead the CEO seems determined to make unforced errors that risk weakening his position.

Back