Airport Shuttles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What airports in the US have the rail connections directly in the airport terminal. As far as I know, there are subway stations at both Chicago airports, the Metro at DC National, and now Dulles, though I think there's a walk outside from the Dulles station into the terminal, and the SEPTA Regional Rail Airport Line in Philly. I'm not sure if there are any direct inside-the-terminal intercity rail connections in the US, but they could do one very easily by extending some Keystone trains from Harrisburg to run from 30th St. to the airport. I guess they could run some Northeast Regionals, at least from New York, too.

What airports in the US have the rail connections directly in the airport terminal. As far as I know, there are subway stations at both Chicago airports, the Metro at DC National, and now Dulles, though I think there's a walk outside from the Dulles station into the terminal, and the SEPTA Regional Rail Airport Line in Philly. I'm not sure if there are any direct inside-the-terminal intercity rail connections in the US, but they could do one very easily by extending some Keystone trains from Harrisburg to run from 30th St. to the airport. I guess they could run some Northeast Regionals, at least from New York, too.
There is no walk outside at Dulles. There is a pedestrian tunnel with travellators connecting the station to the terminal.

You forgot BART at SFO and even BART access to Oakland via the people mover, somewhat similar in spirit to EWR from Amtrak/NJT via Airtrain. There is Miami with APM from the Miami Intermodal Center to the airport terminal. Orlando will soon have a train to air transfer via pedestrian walkway at Terminal C of Orlando International, and via APM to Terminal A and B.

Actually I much prefer having a convenient APM over a mile long corridor connecting the rail station to the terminal - I am looking at you Heathrow. I will get to experience inter-terminal transfer at Heathrow in March, arriving by Aegean, departing by United.

Last edited:
I assume RIDOT since I believe they are subsidizing the service south of Providence.

Not sure what the current purpose of the TF Green stop is. If it was for people working at the airport they would also need 7 day a week service. I guess for people living in the Warwick area commuting into Providence? There must be at least a dozen of those 🙄
If every Boston/Providence MBTA train serviced TF Green 7 days a week the station becomes viable IMHO

20 years ago both TF Green and Manchester-Boston were becoming viable alternatives to Logan but then Southwest got into Logan when ATA went belly up and that hurt both MHT and PVD. MHT was actually running a free shuttle to Sullivan MBTA every 2 hours 24/7.

I'm not sure if there are any direct inside-the-terminal intercity rail connections in the US, but they could do one very easily by extending some Keystone trains from Harrisburg to run from 30th St. to the airport. I guess they could run some Northeast Regionals, at least from New York, too.

Amtrak used to run from the Philly airport to Atlantic City…

Does the track exist?
Yes, though the crossovers could be improved for better speed across them.

The current SEPTA Airport Service does not use crossovers from the NEC to the Airport Line south of 30th St. since it operates out of the upper level. But it is possible to get to the Airport Line from the lower level, though a bit awkwardly.

St. Louis and Seattle have nice connections. Seattle is a bit of a walk but most large airports require long walks to get anywhere haha.

Chicago O'Hare {ORD} (Blue Line - Fare $5 - 18 stops about 45 minutes travel time) leaves much to be desired after arriving downtown
2 blocks from Union Station - the ascent from 3 chambers below ground to street level with no elevators or escalators -
and then the street level approach to the station wrong side again a bunch of stairs.

The Midway {MDW} (Orange Line - Fare $2.50 - 10 stops about 25-30 minutes travel time) arrives on the wrong side of the Chicago River
3 some blocks from the station and it is a zoo to try and find an elevator if mobility impaired.
And hang on to your hats and gear crossing the bridge over the Chicago - it is not called the Windy City without reason.

Minneapolis/St Paul has light rail (Blue Line) running from the Mall of America to the International Airport (MSP)
and continuing to downtown Minneapolis where the junction with the St Paul leg (Green Line) to the Union Depot.
A cantankerous confounding complex conundrum of how to get from A to B.
A genuine day/nightmare for those with mobility issues negotiating the insane maze.

Even if you do this a few times it is awkward !

While not directly in the Terminals @ DFW , DART from Dallas and the New Tex Rail from Ft. Worth make for easy access to/from the Terminals and the People Mover that gets you between Terminals.

It's probably my favorite, they've really done a great job with Rail in the Vehicle Mecca of the DFW Megaplex!

What airports in the US have the rail connections directly in the airport terminal.
MIA has Metrorail, commuter Tri-Rail, Greyhound bus, a never-used station intended for Amtrak, and airport rental cars all hooked up to the terminal complex by an APM, but none of the other South Florida airports have anything like that.

Cleveland's RTA Red Line airport connection works very well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_station_(GCRTA)
The biggest failure is LaGuardia Airport in Queens and when you dive deep it traces back to Robert Moses.

The obvious solution was extending the N Line from Astoria–Ditmars Boulevard to LGA but.............................................

Boston wound up with a decent transit connection by geographic accident in the 50s when the Blue Line was extended and now with the Silver Line going to South Station to the terminals it works.

The total collapse of the taxicab industry in favor of rideshare options has complicated things at many airports.

MARTA in Atlanta has a direct connection to the terminal. Simply walk off the train and go downstairs and you are in the domestic terminal.

The biggest failure is LaGuardia Airport in Queens and when you dive deep it traces back to Robert Moses.

The obvious solution was extending the N Line from Astoria–Ditmars Boulevard to LGA but.............................................
A number of options are being considered. Former governor Cuomo had proposed a Laguardia Airtrain similar in concept to the one to JFK. This has been put on hold by the current governor as other alternatives such as the N line extension are being studied. There is the usual NIMBY opposition to an El extension.

Last edited:
How about this for an Amtrak service?

Airport shuttles: trains that would run from cities that are a short distance (at most two hours) from major airports.

They would stop at areas with lots of free parking and would have TSA security screeners to screen passengers and luggage before they board the train. The car with those passengers would be sealed, and the trains would then stop at airport stations, allowing passengers in the sealed cars to go straight to their gates, and luggage would be transferred straight to the airline.

So taking the train would save parking fees, the hassle of driving and time at the airport.

I’m thinking that a route from uptown Charlotte, stopping at the Charlotte airport, Spartanburg, SC, GSP Airport, Greenville, SC, north suburban Atlanta and the Atlanta airport would be one route (if the tracks are already close enough to the Atlanta airport).

These trains could also be used by non-airport passengers but those non-airport passengers couldn’t enter the sealed cars.

American Airlines started bus service like this from two smaller places to the Philadelphia airport. But the Amtrak-United arrangement with Newark airport didn’t last.

Would this work? Or is this something more for a bus route?

True. At least in Charlotte, the Norfolk Southern line goes across the airport property so I figure that having a train-to-concourse connection is doable. But it does require some adaptations at the airport.

Where have we heard that idea before? Oh yes that was me who came up with it and did a very long treatise about it that broke into the details. Of course now I have access to the manifests for those flights to see who is connecting to go where. And there are some very short city pairs out of Columbia that would make a good train route.

The E concourse which is the regional concourse is now only 560 Ft off the track that diverges into the intermodal yard. Honestly I've dreamed of putting in an underground walkway to the track with it's own security checkpoint and having a train station on the grassy hill on the opposite side of the mainline. There is no way to do TSA for the train as it's too easy to get around and you can't guarantee cars stay sealed. It would work really well for the GRV/SPB/GSP-RGH/RDU via GRO/GSO run and it would free up some capacity that we desperately need there. So I would definitely support this. You could even do Columbia (CLB/CAE) but would need to add a leg to the Charlotte junction to make it doable. We need more people thinking like this to really improve our multi-modal transport modes.

Back