Airports

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Belize City airport in Belize is pretty bad. I flew out of there on TACA, which is also pretty bad, and there computers were down. So they could not issue or print boarding passes. They had open boarding, so I lined myself up by the door and was ready to be the first to board the aircraft. Naturally, some security witched decided to search my bag. By the time she was done, I was last, and I was pissed.
Last time I was in Belize the country was concerned about an imminent invasion by neighboring Guatemala. The whole army - all three guys - was lined up at the border with machine guns. "F***ing Guats!!" "F***ing..." And that's where the Guatemalan threat ended, because the Guats couldn't decide among themselves what to call the Belize guys. Belizers? Belizians? Belizianos? Belizonians? So back to the barracks and the drawing board. Invasion threat ended by lack of language.

Worst airport is LaGuardia because of the short runways and that when there's even a threat of bad weather the delays pile up quickly. Close runner up is Atlanta because whenever I fly through there I'm two concourses away from my gate, the tram is usually not running and the moving sidewalks are not moving.

Worst airport is LaGuardia because of the short runways and that when there's even a threat of bad weather the delays pile up quickly. Close runner up is Atlanta because whenever I fly through there I'm two concourses away from my gate, the tram is usually not running and the moving sidewalks are not moving.
Horrible La Guardia experience: Final approach, night. Moments from landing the throttle was punched. The plane banked away at a sickening angle - rolled sideways - as the engines spooled up - I was sure we were falling out of the sky - and outside the window, looking almost straight down, I could see that we had almost landed on top of a plane taking off from the same runway. The passengers were only told that we had missed the approach and had to go around. But I saw what had happened.

We landed safely on the second go 'round - wouldn't be telling this story otherwise.

You know how the pilots sometimes stand by the cockpit as you deplane, and say "Buh bye." The pilots of this flight did that, but they were drenched in sweat and clearly agitated.

I was drenched in sweat and agitated too. Saw what happened. Thought I was watching my own death.

Shook the captain's hand on my way off and whispered "We almost bought it back there, didn't we?" "Yeah. Sssh." "You did some good flying. I saw. Thank you." "Buh bye." He obviously didn't wanna talk about it.

Dulles!! Hands down. Impossible to get to by public transportation. Getting there by car from DC is a nightmare. And within the terminal itself the cargo hold people movers are strange in a not so wonderful way. Now I know what it's like to be carried and unloaded from a cargo/container ship. Avoid if at all possible! DCA and BWI are much preferable.

Dulles!! Hands down. Impossible to get to by public transportation. Getting there by car from DC is a nightmare.
There is or used to be a bus route to Dulles from West Falls Church WMATA station. Otherwise, I agree with you completely. A WMATA line to it is currently in late planning or early construction. Will be mostly in the median of the Dulles highway, which was built to carry it from the beginning. The space for the turnouts to the Dulles Branch was in the initial construction of the WMATA line in the I-66 median, including the conduits for the jumper cables to the third rail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dulles!! Hands down. Impossible to get to by public transportation. Getting there by car from DC is a nightmare.
There is or used to be a bus route to Dulles from West Falls Church WMATA station. Otherwise, I agree with you completely. A WMATA line to it is currently in late planning or early construction. Will be mostly in the median of the Dulles highway, which was built to carry it from the beginning. The space for the turnouts to the Dulles Branch was in the initial construction of the WMATA line in the I-66 median, including the conduits for the jumper cables to the third rail.
The planning is basically done, and the political will to build and fund it is here. What we are waiting for is the $900 million the FTA more or less promised us, and is now clearly trying to stall rather than actually give. Still, as a Virginian, I'd much rather fly out of Dulles then BWI. In Virginia, BWI is on the other end of the earth, since we either have to cross the Potomac on the Beltway :angry: , or cut through the center of D.C :angry: . Of course, nothing beats DCA...the world's most perfect airport :D ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Horrible La Guardia experience: Final approach, night. Moments from landing the throttle was punched. The plane banked away at a sickening angle - rolled sideways - as the engines spooled up - I was sure we were falling out of the sky - and outside the window, looking almost straight down, I could see that we had almost landed on top of a plane taking off from the same runway. The passengers were only told that we had missed the approach and had to go around. But I saw what had happened.

We landed safely on the second go 'round - wouldn't be telling this story otherwise.

You know how the pilots sometimes stand by the cockpit as you deplane, and say "Buh bye." The pilots of this flight did that, but they were drenched in sweat and clearly agitated.

I was drenched in sweat and agitated too. Saw what happened. Thought I was watching my own death.

Shook the captain's hand on my way off and whispered "We almost bought it back there, didn't we?" "Yeah. Sssh." "You did some good flying. I saw. Thank you." "Buh bye." He obviously didn't wanna talk about it.
I can't even get on a plane without the walls caving in. I went to a DOE seminar in Silver Spring, MD last summer and thought I would sneak out of town via BWI. WRONG !!! I went to show the rent a security guard my ticket and she grabbed the second segment ticket that was from Atlanta to New Orleans. The person was a foreigner and could not even speak understandable English. She kept screaming until a supervisor and two SWAT looking ***** types come running over. They actually had to get an interpreter to ask her what was wrong while the ***** corralled me into a dark corner. "He at wrong airport ! " is what the interpreter came back with. I showed them my ticket from BWI to Atlanta and looked at me like I was was the man from Mars. I'm sure our little lady is still standing her post screwing up other people's days.

Back