al Qaeda's "chilling desire to derail a train"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Report him !!!!!!!

In any other real job he would not have one after that kind of comment.

This Union big boys controll is keeping bad employees in the system ,

It needs to stop .

If it was me I would stop at Nothing until I got a letter from him and amtrak that he Goofed . .

And I would Hound the Amtrak PR Dept til they relise that half the reason People USE the train is to take photos From it ..:help:It would be safe to say most if US consider the View a good reason why WE rail not fly .

Hmm DOME CAR !!!! IS GLASS FOR A REASON ! . SMACK !

some days I wish I was a plain clothes FBI cop . just to say back to the People who pull this crap of ( oh its security)

"HEY YOU Dip wad YEA How about you GET A LIFE ." .....

Ill be frank . I have bean in close communication with Chuck grassly Sen Rep Iowa .about the "" security"" issues here in Iowa .

He is right on track to keep this monster in check . He is SICK of the fake Boob grabbing , crotch poking Idiots we hear on the News .

each time I hear of a incendent I give Him a call and I write ..

Most of My fellow college students at my school Sit on there butts and play with there Ipads and Toys and don't care . And they wonder why Life Sucks for them .

/ end of rant.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to echo Peter on this: File a complaint with Customer Service. That is a crock of...something unpleasant.

Edit: Also, which train was that on? If it was the Zephyr or the Chief, I'll be planning a photo-fest next trip.

It would be interesting to see a security checkpoint put into operation at any one of these places:

120-14.jpg
amshack.jpg
Amtrak-Winnemucca_Nevada-s.jpg
elko_001.jpg

I would assume that, in real life, these stops would be abandoned, and people would be allowed to board Amtrak and other passenger trains only in large cities where there would be sufficient passenger traffic to support having TSA agents.

Derailing an Amtrak train by a terrorist group has already happened. Remember the Sunset Limited derailed west of Phoenix by some unknown group that was never solved.
To call this the act of a terrorist group is a stretch. The "group" name on their threat has never been heard from either before or since. Also: To do what they did on a secondary main with rather boderline track condition in the middle of a desert was a lot easier than it would be to do on a line up to current standards in track conditions.
They derailed a train, What would you call them? A bunch of fun-loving kids?
Did not say they were not criminals, just that there was never anything to show that they were any form of terrorist group.

What I think George is getting at is that, IIRC, there was at least one suggestion that the derailment was a disgruntled employee who used the "terrorist group" letter to throw folks off their trail. The main reason for this is that the shorting out of Espee's security system (what I recall reading is that they had some sort of detection equipment in use to detect any track going missing, and this was meticulously not tripped through the use of some cables to keep the tracks "connected" in the computer's eyes) wasn't exactly public knowledge. That and the group never appearing again suggests something other than a "real" terrorist organization in the vein of AQ or any of a number of other groups (heck, even the Weathermen and the SLA struck repeatedly).

What I think George is getting at is that, IIRC, there was at least one suggestion that the derailment was a disgruntled employee who used the "terrorist group" letter to throw folks off their trail. The main reason for this is that the shorting out of Espee's security system (what I recall reading is that they had some sort of detection equipment in use to detect any track going missing, and this was meticulously not tripped through the use of some cables to keep the tracks "connected" in the computer's eyes) wasn't exactly public knowledge. That and the group never appearing again suggests something other than a "real" terrorist organization in the vein of AQ or any of a number of other groups (heck, even the Weathermen and the SLA struck repeatedly).
Last time I checked, the accident report had dissapeared from the NTSB or Historical ICC accident reports (I do not remember which one it was one) because it all but gave instructions in how to bypass the signal system. It talked about someone had to have "inside knowledge" which was a little like, after the Oklahoma City bombing, saying the person had to have access to diesel fuel and ammonium nitrate fertilizer in quantity. That last applied to the majority of the farming population in this country. Likewise, the inside knowledge it took to bypass the signal system, which was nothing fancy, just the standard automatic block system which has been used for something like 100 years, was part of almost everyone who had every had anything to do with trackwork, signals, most of the train operations people, and a lot of railfans. In short probably a million or so people. I know it, and probably quite a few other people on here know it, but I am not going to say it. Why make it easy for someone looking for a way to cause trouble?

There are those out there seem to feel it is their job to dream up ways that terrorists can cause damage and then talk about them to the widest possible audience. I regard that as stupidity.

I was yelled at for taking pictures outside the PATH , they have photo policy banning it....but the republican assemblymen down the street said its unconstitutional and since there are no signs on the trains or in the stations its unenforcible. How can you have a rule like that , but no signs? It wasn't even of the PATH , it was of a building i'm documenting....

Derailing an Amtrak train by a terrorist group has already happened. Remember the Sunset Limited derailed west of Phoenix by some unknown group that was never solved.
To call this the act of a terrorist group is a stretch. The "group" name on their threat has never been heard from either before or since. Also: To do what they did on a secondary main with rather boderline track condition in the middle of a desert was a lot easier than it would be to do on a line up to current standards in track conditions.
They derailed a train, What would you call them? A bunch of fun-loving kids?
Did not say they were not criminals, just that there was never anything to show that they were any form of terrorist group.
There is another way to look at this, it could have been terrorist activity, they are not the smartest people, look at the shoe bomber, and the underwear bomber. A friend that has been in Afghanistan said that they can't keep the guys from placing their fingers in the light sockets while showering! They might have tried to derail that train just to see what the effects were, and what they had to do for major casualties. Remember the handbook that was found in the Arizona desert not too long ago. Maybe they decided it wasn't big enough... who knows.

I hope we don't get security theatre because of what Al Qaeda was planning. I love the freedom of traveling on Amtrak. It does disconcert me though as I am traveling to Kissimmee on the Silver Star in a month. I hope we are still vigilant and will always have to be. This is simply a reminder of it.
You seriously think that possible? Amtrak would need to triple its annual allowance from Congress... They aren't about to do it.
I think they won't get more money; they'll just be told to redirect what they do have toward furthering the police state. I have already contacted my legislators' offices about the futility of degrading the Amtrak passenger experience with excessive searches/delays/hassles that will not address the security of the rails in any way.

The interesting thing is there are only a few places where a train terror attack would cause "massive" casualties. LD trains carry few people. The only terror attack on Amtrak resulted in but one death, a TAS that was going down stairs at the time. You either need it to hit an essentially heavy immovable object at considerable speed, or have it fall into water preferably at night. Which would be either the NEC (well protected) or a LD (limited casualties due to limited ridership). They'd accomplish their goals better planting IEDs that are never really intended to go offer. We call then "terrorists" rather than serial killers for a reason. Death is not needed to terrorize.

There is no law against taking pictures. i don't care what some power tripping conductor says. There need to be rules that make it easier to fire union employees who overstep there authority and think it's there job to be the police. Wonder how many of us well be arrested during the seattle gathering for taking pictures and videos?

What has caused the Sunset Limited Train #1 from NOL on 05-06-2011 to be nearly 5 hours late?
It had to wait in San Antonio for 5 hours to connect with the Texas Eagle 21. The TE was late due to a freight derailment in Little Rock plus slow running in MO and AR due to high water.

There is no law against taking pictures. i don't care what some power tripping conductor says. There need to be rules that make it easier to fire union employees who overstep there authority and think it's there job to be the police. Wonder how many of us well be arrested during the seattle gathering for taking pictures and videos?
AMEN

there are 2 people who I CAN NOT STAND

bad performing tenure teachers and corrupt Unions ..

worverine :

one cranky nasty conductor < 10 rail fans with emense Blogging powers and due influence .

dare I say it but WE have the upper hand ..

Ill be makeing a call to the NPRC PR office tomorrow . I am a member of the NPPA.. and WE DO NOT like photographers of any kind being pushed around.

This has GOT to stop .. amtrak TSA . Rent-O-cop .......

sorry buddy but unless you have a CJ degree and are a swarn Officer of teh peace . you can Kiss My.....

Peter

Come this february I am going to ride Amtrak and take pictures and have the ride of my life as my thoughts will be looking out the window and the French Toast in the morning.

AMEN

there are 2 people who I CAN NOT STAND

bad performing tenure teachers and corrupt Unions ..

worverine :

one cranky nasty conductor < 10 rail fans with emense Blogging powers and due influence .

dare I say it but WE have the upper hand ..

Ill be makeing a call to the NPRC PR office tomorrow . I am a member of the NPPA.. and WE DO NOT like photographers of any kind being pushed around.

This has GOT to stop .. amtrak TSA . Rent-O-cop .......

sorry buddy but unless you have a CJ degree and are a swarn Officer of teh peace . you can Kiss My.....

Peter
While I agree that the conductor was wrong is saying that you can't take picture, do you really think he should be fired and it's all the fault of the corrupt union that can't get him fired? A little overboard?

While none of was there, its a little hard to make judgement based on one account. The conductor did nothing illegal, nor was anyone kicked off the train for taking pictures. It was simply a suggestion based on the conductors concerns. All those people involved in transportation have been asked to be a little more vigilant based on recent events and perhaps this was his way of doing so.

Don't get me wrong though. I'd be pretty upset if he told me to stop taking pictures too.

I am not angry with the Employee per say / Mind he could have read the policy better to do his job better . I know I would take the time to Be Proactive and Know what the rules are ,, but thats just me ...

"Lack of Planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part""

Amtrak's issue . And this is how it is with the TSA too is they Set a policy in place and the end users ( like TSOs add the renegade Conductor ) abuse it . tweak it . And not Follow the rules.

the chain of command is not working as you can see with the photo Policy in this case ..

this need fixing . I say send every employee a letter with a reminder on the policy .

This is not just a Amtrak issue but a issue in the US workforce as a whole ..I see it every where .

Should he Be fired ? . Nope . but a Butt chewing On what the Policy is , Is in order .

make um memorize it !! then be done with the issue ..

Every Signal and grade crossing and station has more photos of it them Mis Hilton on a drunk prom night ... :giggle:

the anti Photo crowd is not stopping anything . and never will ..

Peter

What has caused the Sunset Limited Train #1 from NOL on 05-06-2011 to be nearly 5 hours late?
As someone else explained, they had to wait for train 21, which was like 10 hours late into SAS, which was explained why.

Anyone have any details on that train derailment in AR?

Today, I got quizzed by a conductor about taking pictures out the window of a train, and urged rather sternly (but not ordered) that I should delete any pictures I may have taken from my camera's memory card due to current security concerns. That is actually the first time that has ever happened to me on a train. One time I remember being asked not to take pictures at a station.
Another conductor deciding that he knows best, yet having no clue that he's just exceeded any authority he might have. First, a terrorist would be taking pictures of the train; not from the train. Second, they don't need to take any pictures, the internet is littered with pictures of just about everything.
"Google Earth." Seriously, with few exceptions, you can find detail about lots of stuff.

It makes me sad to think that the folks I've seen, who come out to wave at the trains with their kids, or who come out to photograph unusual engines/cars may be chased away in the name of "security."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back