al Qaeda's "chilling desire to derail a train"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This topic really makes me nervous.

I'll have a trip in 2 months and now I am worried.

How secure are high bridges and tunnels that Amtrak is using?

Do they have video monitoring?

They are actually quite secure and at least around New York they are bristling with video monitoring cameras.

They are actually quite secure and at least around New York they are bristling with video monitoring cameras.
I understand that places near New York are pretty secure, but what about remote places?

This topic really makes me nervous. I'll have a trip in 2 months and now I am worried. How secure are high bridges and tunnels that Amtrak is using? Do they have video monitoring?
In my view you're worrying about all the wrong things. Worry about car wrecks. Worry about heart disease. Worry about colon cancer. Worry about drug resistant infections. Or any number of other far more common problems. As for me, I'm more worried about increasing air and water pollution, rapidly decreasing bee colonies, mountains of perpetually harmful radioactive waste, climate change, and the like because those seem like far more likely problems than a terrorist bombing or derailing my specific train off some bridge. If you really want to ignore statistical significance and worry about terrorism anyway then I would suggest voting for people who are willing and able to shrink our national defense budget to something less than what all other countries combined spend. Endlessly spreading our troops, planes, and warships all over the globe seems to be the number one catalyst for attacks on Americans. Go figure. Bringing most of our forces home is probably the quickest and easiest way to take the target off our back and balance our federal budget in one fell swoop. Just imagine how wonderful that would be. Turning the flat-broke and counterproductive global policeman we've become back into a responsible and self-sufficient neighbor would be the best thing we can do to protect and support our own citizens in my view. It would also free up resources to tackle real problems instead of wasting them on worthless grudge matches between power hungry pricks.

*Misspelling happily corrected. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A truck terrorist drove in front of a Metra/UP Northwest train today. Who needs these world-wide conspiracies when running the gates will do.

The only way to guard the American rail system is if "we the people" all become citizen observers.
As a Civil Engineer that takes pictures of track, railroad structures, and makes notes on the same, this does not thrill me at all. I do not need Joe Schmoo on a power trip having me arrested for doing something relevant to my profession. Most of the people so wound up with creating adn making public imaginary disaster scenarios that serve nothing but giving potential terrorist ideas need to get a life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back