Alaska Railroad--Coastal Classic--Anchorage to Seward

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
September 2021 is truly the "Month of The Train" for me. Just a few days before my Coast Starlight trip, I had the privilege of traveling on Alaska Railroad's "Coastal Classic" train which runs from Anchorage to Seward. My trip was a daytime round-trip--leaving Anchorage at 6:00 AM and returning just after 10 PM. I traveled in the luxurious "Gold Star" service. The trip takes 4 and 1/2 hours each way. It is, without a doubt, the most scenic train trip I have ever been on.

The Alaska Railroad Depot in Anchorage is elegant. It features a waiting area, as well as a gift shop selling Alaska Railroad memorabilia. The Alaska Railroad is unique in that it only serves Alaska and has no physical connection to Canada or the Lower 48 except for a rail barge at Whittier.

Gold Star Service features seats in a full-length observation dome car, with a dining room on the lower level. There is also an open-air observation platform (the only kind in the world) at the end of the car's second level. Gold Star Service includes complimentary alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages throughout the journey, as well as a full course meal in the dining room on the lower level. My parents and I went on the trip. We had an Alaskan hot breakfast featuring reindeer sausage, biscuits and gravy, and Alaskan home fries. For the return trip, we had Alaskan Pot Roast, the signature dish of the Alaska Railroad.

The scenery aboard this route is unsurpassed. You travel past Turnagain Arm, and then climb the mountains of the Kenai Peninsula where you see waterfalls, mountains with beautiful glaciers, wildlife and very-well engineered rail infrastructure. A highlight of the trip is traveling through a horseshoe curve that traverses a mountain pass about 45 miles north of Seward. All of the line is single-track, and so you are really up close with the scenery. Seward is a quaint port town on the Gulf of Alaska that serves as the head of the Alaska Railroad. Freights routinely ship goods from Seward north to Anchorage and Fairbanks, and also exports from these two cities to be loaded onto ships in Seward. After we arrived in Seward, we took a tour boat to Kenai Fjords National Park, where we saw such wildlife as bald eagles, sea lions, puffins, killer whales, and humpback whales. We also saw spectacular Aialik Glacier up close!! It was a magnificent sight!

The Coastal Classic is considered Alaska Railroad's most popular excursion train, and I can clearly see why it is. We rode on the very last train of the season.

Attachments

• tempImage3LI2lG.png
    tempImage3LI2lG.png
    665.9 KB · Views: 15
  • tempImageyNwh4Q.png
    tempImageyNwh4Q.png
    623.8 KB · Views: 16
  • tempImage2MwKmX.png
    tempImage2MwKmX.png
    709.8 KB · Views: 17
  • tempImageqhqdRg.png
    tempImageqhqdRg.png
    915.6 KB · Views: 17
  • tempImageyZ6N15.png
    tempImageyZ6N15.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • tempImagetCeDQx.png
    tempImagetCeDQx.png
    570.6 KB · Views: 16
  • tempImageprzjef.png
    tempImageprzjef.png
    886 KB · Views: 16
  • 65E01D6C-F9FF-45A0-B6A0-4971C618A3AD.mov
    11 MB
  • tempImagezoMvZC.png
    tempImagezoMvZC.png
    863 KB · Views: 16
  • tempImageHHaciy.png
    tempImageHHaciy.png
    811.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
It is, without a doubt, the most scenic train trip I have ever been on.

I have not yet taken this trip, but the drive between Seward and Anchorage is also one of the most scenic drives I have experienced. I never tire of the drive. Ought to try the train sometime.

I guess winter, short days and long nights arrives early that far north.

When did it get dark on your trip? Maybe they don't run the train if the sights aren't visible.

I guess winter, short days and long nights arrives early that far north.

When did it get dark on your trip? Maybe they don't run the train if the sights aren't visible.

It actually got dark around 8 PM. But they lose daylight rapidly in September. Winter has already arrived at Denali National Park. Just one week after we visited, they got several inches of snow and below-freezing temperatures. It is pretty much below freezing all the time there now. Denali is at 63.75 degrees north latitude.

Just one week after we visited, they got several inches of snow and below-freezing temperatures. I

My Nephew reported 3 weeks ago that they had 2 inches of snow and his family lives in a small community not far North of Anchorage.

One of the most surprising travel experiences that I have had was during a couple days before Christmas. I had arrived in Anchorage on an on time flight from Houston. Snow was falling as the plane landed and the taxi trip to the hotel was a scenic delight. I slept well during the night and was quite surprised when I awoke around 9:00 A.M. that the sky was still not the 9:00 A.M. that I would I have expected where I live. Not dark; but, not bright, either. I remember when I awoke that I thought I could "roll over" and have a couple more hours of sleep. That did not happen!

Back