Album Recorded While Riding Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deni

Lead Service Attendant
Being released this September is an album by Billy Bragg and Joe Henry called Shine A Light. Billy and Joe boarded the Texas Eagle in March this year with guitars and recording equipment and recorded classic railroad songs while in Amtrak station waiting rooms or platforms while riding from Chicago to L.A.

I'm personally psyched for this because of my love of riding trains and that Billy Bragg is one of my all time favorite musicians.

The page here has a map that shows where they recorded songs and an intro video of footage from the trip along with them playing The Midnight Special at CUS.

Anyway, thought this might be of interest to some of the people around here. Depending on what kind of music you might be into.

Tracklist:

Rock Island Line
The L&N Don't Stop Here Anymore
The Midnight Special
Railroad Bill
Lonesome Whistle
KC Moan
Waiting For A Train
In The Pines
Gentle On My Mind
Hobo's Lullaby
Railroading On The Great Divide
John Henry
Early Morning Rain

Outstanding,bet it was cool to be on the train with them!

Great to see they got to record inside the sadly underused Sunset Station in San Antonio!

Thanks for sharing, look forward to hearing it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice to hear about this recording. I enjoyed listening to music by Woody Guthrie on my USA train rides, this Billy Bragg recording should be great!

Ed. :cool:

So how was this done? Did they have to get permission from Amtrak and the various stations, or did they just go do it?

I see (USA) Amazon only has the MP3 of each song. Once a CD is out (in September) I'd like to buy one.

So how was this done? Did they have to get permission from Amtrak and the various stations, or did they just go do it?

I see (USA) Amazon only has the MP3 of each song. Once a CD is out (in September) I'd like to buy one.
It's obvious they got permission at Chicago and I suspect they got permission at the other stations too.

What I didn't like was the video of them walking on the tracks at the end.

I bought a copy of the album on pre-order and got tickets for the Seattle show on my birthday!!! CS(emy-sea) will be my transportation,it's going to be a good time!!!

I bought a copy of the album on pre-order and got tickets for the Seattle show on my birthday!!! CS(emy-sea) will be my transportation,it's going to be a good time!!!
Nice!

I saw him many times in Seattle back in the 90s.

What's an "album?" :ph34r: :giggle: ^_^
for real,bought the lp :cool:
An LP is called an "album" just like you'll say you are "dialing" on a push-button phone (or even an electronic key"pad"). It's an archaic term still used even though it has no reality in modern life. Now THIS is a record album:

1451586467893-record_album_1.jpg

We had lots of those when I was a kid, even though they didn't make 78 RPM platters by the time I was born, as my Dad was an audiophile. He collected them when they were originally published, and as people got rid of them. I think my brother ended up with the old Leadbelly album with "The Midnight Special" in it. Really special.

Mother relished her Opera collection, she wore out the grooves on many of them,,,, when she passed I had a hard time rounding them up and give them to my buddy who has 80,000 albums, 30, 45's and 15 8 track tapes,,, moving him is no fun (I did it once, nevermore quoth the Raven)

What's an "album?" :ph34r: :giggle: ^_^
for real,bought the lp :cool:
An LP is called an "album" just like you'll say you are "dialing" on a push-button phone (or even an electronic key"pad"). It's an archaic term still used even though it has no reality in modern life. Now THIS is a record album:

1451586467893-record_album_1.jpg

We had lots of those when I was a kid, even though they didn't make 78 RPM platters by the time I was born, as my Dad was an audiophile. He collected them when they were originally published, and as people got rid of them. I think my brother ended up with the old Leadbelly album with "The Midnight Special" in it. Really special.
I think Thirdrail7 was referring to CDs which we do not call albums.

I have a bunch of 33's in storage. Two milk crates holding them. Don't know what they all are or what shape their in. I do know some are Reader's Digest, but there may be some 60's/70's albums of my husbands.

I actually possess an extensive collection of vinyl. I like the imperfection and the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back