Ale-Braised Turkey Leg

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a picture of an ale-braised turkey leg http://amtrakcareers.tumblr.com/post/77329777333/dinner-on-the-texaseagle-via-sumsicle-and-made on the Eagle. How often does this sort of special item show up as a break from the drudgery of the standard menu?
That is a new one for me! I usually associate Turkey Legs with Ren Faires but if this has been spotted on a recent Eagle, I may just have to make an Investigatory Run! Though I'll have to leave my Halberd and War Hammer at home.

This surprises me too,especially if its on Amtrak's orphan train, the Texas Eagle! The usual turkey dish used to be the turkey shank that replaced the much better Lamb Shank!

Hopefully anyone that rides the Eagle soon will let us know if the bean counters are letting the Diners start serving non " standard" Menu items!!

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, the date on that photo is almost a year ago (February 2014), and the photo itself could of course be a lot older than that.

Secondly, the poster called it "Dogfish Ale braised turkey", which used to be one of the dishes created by Michel Richard of the Amtrak Culinary Advisory Team. While I'd love to see those old dishes make a comeback, it's definitely no longer on the menu for the Eagle, and I'm fairly certain that they're gone from all trains.

The date tells the story. Early last year, when the announcement was made re. menu changes, we had a representative of the Wilmington kitchen folks riding with us. This person was about to tell us about a whole lot of new and improved menu changes, and was completely blindsided by the announcement that the betterments weren't going to happen. (So much for internal communication between departments).

FWIW, I never saw any turkey legs. Don't know whether they were proposed for my train.

Tom

Whenever I eat a Turkey Leg I always wonder what ever happened to the rest of the Turkey!
Chef’s Marketplace Special................................ $12.00

Natural turkey meatballs topped with a roasted tomato sauce and dusted with parmesan cheese. Served with garlic mashed tomatoes and a roll. (640 cal.)

Natural turkey meatballs topped with a roasted tomato sauce and dusted with parmesan cheese. Served with garlic mashed tomatoes and a roll. (640 cal.)
You know, I almost tried that. Maybe they would move more of them if they were served with garlic mashed potatoes. :)

You know, I almost tried that. Maybe they would move more of them if they were served with garlic mashed potatoes. :)
It's actually pretty good, despite the typo. :)

What EXACTLY is a "Natural turkey meatball"? Turkeys naturally have meatballs? Kind of makes them sound like 'mountain oysters.' YUCK!!!

"Natural turkey" is the trackkill of the wild turkeys that hang out on Railroad tracks! As opposed to processed turkey, its fresh and "free range"!

Just kidding, please no PETA or animal rights activists flames folks!

"Natural turkey" is the trackkill of the wild turkeys that hang out on Railroad tracks! As opposed to processed turkey, its fresh and "free range"!
All the more reason to toss leftover grits out the dutch doors... dinner bait!! :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back