Alexandria-Philly-New York-Newark International Airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. We are a family of four travelling to the States fro the UK in October (2 x adults, 1 x 19 (University student) 1x 16).

Spending the first few days in Alexandria Old Town to visit DC. And then on the Tuesday we are travelling to Philadelphia, then on Wednesday to NYC and finally on the Friday we will travel to Newark Airport to fly home.

Are there any passes that we can use for multi use trips? Or anything we can do to make the trips a bit cheaper? Happy to book in advance and commit to specific trains.

Thanks in advance

This far out, fares for either NER or Acela look to be as cheap as they're going to be (barring any fare deals, which are possible). Of note, Acela travel is usually exempted from any fare passes or multi-ride passes, though the Regional should be applicable. In any case, just be sure to carefully read any fine print as necessary.

Hi all. We are a family of four travelling to the States fro the UK in October (2 x adults, 1 x 19 (University student) 1x 16).

Spending the first few days in Alexandria Old Town to visit DC. And then on the Tuesday we are travelling to Philadelphia, then on Wednesday to NYC and finally on the Friday we will travel to Newark Airport to fly home.

Are there any passes that we can use for multi use trips? Or anything we can do to make the trips a bit cheaper? Happy to book in advance and commit to specific trains.

Thanks in advance
NYP to EWR will be cheaper on NJ Transit plus there will be a larger choice of trains that stop at EWR.
You could even use local trains PHL to NYP via SEPTA changing at Trenton to NJ Transit, not as comfortable and requires the change, but cheaper.

It is far cheaper to go between NY Penn Station and Newark Airport by NJT train ($5.25), and then NJT Bus 62 ($1.60), which takes 25 minutes. There is no need to go to EWR rail station and the monorail for $15.25 from NY.
Do those buses have some accommodation for luggage? I wouldn't want to be juggling luggage for an international trip on a run-of-the-mill transit bus. In fact, even NJT commuter trains might be a hassle.

I think they are ordinary transit buses. Just have $1.60 exact fare. I wouldn't hesitate to bring my suitcase and school back pack on these things. I have done it in several cities over the decades, and on subway trains.

NJT bi-level (MLV) trains are also terrible for luggage. Some trains are single level with decent overhead luggage racks, but there is no way to tell what will show up. Out-of-towners do not know our equipment. Those passengers should remain in the outer portion of the MLV car, which is traditional level at the ends of the car with tip-up seats, NY subway style along the wall, but many struggle to go to a level up or down several steps, then throw their luggage on vacant seats, leave them in the aisle, or they stand in the vestibule, or on the steps. They are a real PITA getting in the way for those trying to get off 5 minutes later an Newark Penn. There is no such thing as luggage bins. Overhead racks in the lower level do not exist. On the upper level, they can only fit a laptop bag.

Last edited:
Thanks. We won't have loads of luggage but enough that we will try and stick to trains rather than buses. It was a few years ago but I've done the Penn-EWR train and found it convenient.

For this trip we will want to have an eye on costs but happy to pay more for a bit of comfort. We won't be changing trains from Philadelphia to New York.

Doesn't look like there is a family pass that would make the Amtrak a bit cheaper so I'll just go ahead and book the trains when our plans are 100% confirmed.

Been home a couple of weeks and wanted to give a bit of a review. Overall it worked really well and I would highly recommend the trip.

We flew Aer Lingus Manchester - Dublin - Dulles. Connecting through Dublin is great as you clear US customs in Ireland and land as a domestic passenger.

We took an uber to Alexandria which is just the most perfect little town to explore DC, Arlington and Alexandria itself. Loved it and can't wait to go back.

We booked the Amtrak months in advance and Alexandria to Philadelphia was about $16 per person. That journey was perfectly fine. The train was a bit less modern than what we have for intercity journeys in the UK but fine. You have to wait at Washington Union Station for the change of engines. Not much to see along the way.

Philadelphia was interesting and very gritty compared to Washington and Alexandria.

We then went from Philadelphia to New York and again bought the tickets well in advance for about $12.00. Trenton looked quite nice. You began to see Manhattan from the windows as you approach NYC.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on W36 St. About ten mins walk from Penn Station. Small hotel rooms but clean and great location. Even had a view of the Empire State Building.

We took the NJ Transit to Newark and there wasn't much room for luggage as mentioned above. Was quite quiet though so not a problem.

EWR is great as an airport as it's quite small. Took minutes to drop off luggage and then go through security. Had one of the best burgers of the trip at the Belgian bar in international departures.

For Aer Lingus it's the same price to fly in to one airport and out of the other so a great way to see different US cities.

Connecting in Dublin to Manchester was a bit of a rush bit worked OK. All luggage came through.

Thanks to everyone for their advice before the trip. Any questions, please ask.

Been home a couple of weeks and wanted to give a bit of a review. Overall it worked really well and I would highly recommend the trip.

We flew Aer Lingus Manchester - Dublin - Dulles. Connecting through Dublin is great as you clear US customs in Ireland and land as a domestic passenger.

We took an uber to Alexandria which is just the most perfect little town to explore DC, Arlington and Alexandria itself. Loved it and can't wait to go back.

We booked the Amtrak months in advance and Alexandria to Philadelphia was about $16 per person. That journey was perfectly fine. The train was a bit less modern than what we have for intercity journeys in the UK but fine. You have to wait at Washington Union Station for the change of engines. Not much to see along the way.

Philadelphia was interesting and very gritty compared to Washington and Alexandria.

We then went from Philadelphia to New York and again bought the tickets well in advance for about $12.00. Trenton looked quite nice. You began to see Manhattan from the windows as you approach NYC.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on W36 St. About ten mins walk from Penn Station. Small hotel rooms but clean and great location. Even had a view of the Empire State Building.

We took the NJ Transit to Newark and there wasn't much room for luggage as mentioned above. Was quite quiet though so not a problem.

EWR is great as an airport as it's quite small. Took minutes to drop off luggage and then go through security. Had one of the best burgers of the trip at the Belgian bar in international departures.

For Aer Lingus it's the same price to fly in to one airport and out of the other so a great way to see different US cities.

Connecting in Dublin to Manchester was a bit of a rush bit worked OK. All luggage came through.

Thanks to everyone for their advice before the trip. Any questions, please ask.
Sounds like a great trip, but I'm wondering if you mistook somewhere else for Trenton??

Have never heard it described before as looking nice, especially by Jerseyites??

I agree Dublin is great in that respect. Although when I was there a number of flights to the US were leaving about the same time and the line was huge but it did move fairly quickly.
Sounds like a great trip, but I'm wondering if you mistook somewhere else for Trenton??

Have never heard it described before as looking nice, especially by Jerseyites??
My one time in Trenton (other that passing through on the NEC) was in May 2015 after the 188 crash when we had to take a connecting bus from Trenton to SEPTA at West Trenton. I recall going through some decent looking neighborhoods that appear to have been gentrified, older brick homes that had been fixed up. But I don't know if you can see these areas from the train.

Back