All Railfones will be shut off June 1st

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony

Founder
Honored Member
Just heard that Railfones will be deactivated as of June 1st, systemwide. I guess people have been using cell phones too much. :)

The end of an era?

I was very surprised to see a Railfone in the business class section of #43 two weeks ago.

It was a very cool idea 20 years ago -- I used the DB equivalent of Railfone on one of their IC trains to get a hotel room in Munich for the night -- but it seems that cellphones have put the Railfone out to pasture.

I was very surprised to see a Railfone in the business class section of #43 two weeks ago.
It was a very cool idea 20 years ago -- I used the DB equivalent of Railfone on one of their IC trains to get a hotel room in Munich for the night -- but it seems that cellphones have put the Railfone out to pasture.
Sam;

I was amazed when I boarded one of the parlor cars, as a young twirp, on the Boston-Washington trains run jointly by the Pennsy and New Haven and found a pay phone booth. And that was almost fifty years ago !!!

Hopefully Amtrak will invest that money used to maintaining Railfone into putting in a Wi-Fi system on all NEC trains.

Hopefully Amtrak will invest that money used to maintaining Railfone into putting in a Wi-Fi system on all NEC trains.
I've seen no news regarding Regionals, but Wi-Fi is supposed to be coming to Acela this year, along with the faux-leather seats for the First Class cars.

I mis-read this post, I thought it said all RailFANs will be shut off. I was worried there for a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back