All seats now open for Acela in June

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In light of the extended mask wearing and the reluctance of passengers wanting a seatmate,I really wish Amtrak would let single travelers keep both seats to themselves. The mere idea of sleeping next to a stranger in very close proximity deters me from booking Coach overnight. Just wish the roomette prices were more down to earth

I did book the Coast Starlight from Lax to Pdx for $50. Hoping for both seats,but if not theres the sightseer lounge. Not the most comfortable seats,but at least you are sitting by yourself.

Got an email this morning that there's been an update to two Acela tickets I have booked for June in Acela F. Previously they had 60% of the seats in the car blocked, but now all seats are open. Might want to check and reassign any seats for trips you have coming up.
I'm lucky my Acela FC trip NYP-BWI on Tues 5/11 is only 10% Booked as of now, and I have a Good Seat on the 1 Seat side. .

My seats were changed on a September ticket. I'm traveling with someone else and we chose two table seats in car 6. That was changed to side-by-side seats in car 5.

I have two Acela First reservations for July, and now I can no longer change the seats online; anyone else have this issue? I will just call unless there is a workaround.

Of course. Who wouldn't know that a bunch of tiny squares means "Change seat selection"? :rolleyes:
Not sure about the website but the app does seems to allow a change. I only booked yesterday for September - and excellent value too at $50 each Boston to Philadelphia as part of Amtrak’s 50th birthday promotion - so having changed to the quiet car, sitting opposite each other at a table, I was surprised to get the e-mail updating our seats to side-by-side (and not in the quiet car). Do they assume people want to sit side-by-side by default? I would like to switch us back to opposite at a table of four - both getting a window. Is that frowned upon as “depriving” a group of four?

With Amtrak going back to full capacity,I suppose two more people will be seated across from you. I am sad to see the 50% capacity ending. That made riding in Coach overnight palatable,knowing you would have both seats to yourself.

I didn't have to call this morning. It was a lot of clicks on the website, had to go to My Trips -> Modify Trip, then there was a small button on the right with a bunch of squares, this displayed the change seats option.
Thanks, worked for me on the web when the app wouldn’t work. Never would have known to click those squares…

Back