Allow me to introduce myself

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierboy

OBS Chief
Hi everyone! I just discovered these boards over the past couple weeks and am thrilled there's something out here for rail lovers. As you might tell from my signature, I got hooked on train travel as a kid when the family would go from Chicago to Seattle to visit relatives. We took the Northern Pacific North Coast Limited and just had a blast. We'd stay in the slumbercoaches, but spend most of our day in the dome cars. I vividly remember spending most of the day up there, meeting other kids and messing around. There is absolutely NOTHING that approaches the train view of a vista dome car... a pure, 360 degree view while traveling by rail. And quiet? Oh, my, you could hardly hear the rails up there. After I grew up, I didn't travel by train again until about 7 years ago when the family (wife, myself and two kids, 18 and 23) took the Cardinal to Washington D. C. for a family vacation. Hooked again! Last summer, my wife and I celebrated our 30th anniversary by taking the SW Chief to LA and spending a week in San Diego. We booked a bedroom, and that's an awesome way to travel by rail. Our car attendants were great, food was wonderful, and we' going on another rail junket this spring. Heading from Galesburg, Ill. to Chicago, then to Montana to visit a very good friend (best man in my wedding).

I'm semi-retired, worked PR in education for 18 years, and now part-time at my local church. I live in East Moline, Illinois, just across the Mississippi river from Davenport, Iowa. Looking forward to chatting with you all as we reacquaint ourselves with rail travel.

John

I'll look forward to your contributions to the forum. I'm a relatively new member of the forum and enjoy it immensely. I really got hooked on train travel in Europe and Japan where first class train service is the norm. I trying to do my part to encourage train travel in this country.

Welcome aboard!

Back