Almost Over

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Looks like "Blizzard of 2003" is just wrapping up south of New York. Hopefully CSX will open up its line south of DC sometime today. Towns along the Capitol Limted route recieved anywhere between 36-42 inches of snow! CSX did leave at least one track open, but yesterdays #30 was held in Pittsburgh indefinetly. I was playing around with Amtrak's reservation system and most every thing into and out of the Northeast is "sold out" for the 18th and 19th. I think this storm once agains shows the importance of Amtrak in major storms and events like this one.

Well temperatures still remain under 32 between Richmond and Washington and since there is no sun to melt the ice CSX will have to get their de-icers on the road. If/when MOW starts it is a two track mainline so it will take awhile and plus some freight trains are still stranded out there from yesterday. Amtrak is probably better off terminating the Meteor for today.

I've heard the Newark International Airport Monorail (Airtrain) is not operating, so I would think trains are bypassing the station as a result.

Amfleet said:
I was playing around with Amtrak's reservation system and most every thing into and out of the Northeast is "sold out" for the 18th and 19th. I think this storm once agains shows the importance of Amtrak in major storms and events like this one.
Well the fact that many trains are sold out is not necessarily and indication of heavy ridership. Amtrak creates a sold out condition when they know that a train won't be running.

When the Auto Train derailed last year, all Auto Trains in both directions for the next three days were immediately marked as sold out. The trains weren't really sold out they just weren't running.

That said however, Amtrak still is the only game in town. In fact almost all rail service in the area is still running, even if there are delays. Almost all buses are stopped, airplanes are stopped, and travel by car is a nightmare.

And it's still snowing here in NYC, and its expected to continue till at least 8:00 PM. Even after that hour we may get intermittent flurries and snow squalls all night long.

The trains to Florida were sold out today and I figured that must be due to cancellations, but some trains were showing coach accomadations avalible with sleepers sold out.

Most of the crews down here are not expecting Silver Service to resume until Wednesday. According to a source of mine over at CSX they do not expect to have the RF&P ready til late Tuesday evening at the earliest.

Here is a weather-related note of special significance to Battalion since he is going to Baltimore in June. The roof of a round house fell at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore according to Tuesday's newspaper.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Here is a weather-related note of special significance to Battalion since he is going to Baltimore in June. The roof of a round house fell at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore according to Tuesday's newspaper.
:( That's a great museum. :(

Click Here for an update on all operations including the collapse of the B&O Museum Roof.

AmtrakService between Boston and Washington, D.C., will continue operating on a modified schedule, including Acela Express, Acela Regional, and Keystone services. On Tuesday, Metroliner service between Washington and New York will not operate and Clocker service between New York and Philadephia will not operate, Amtrak reports.

Silver Service trains which operate between the northeast and Florida, have been cancelled Tuesday, except for Silver Service trains within Florida. On Tuesday, the Auto Train will operate in both directions between Sanford, Fla., and Lorton, Va.

GO Transit

GO Transit is reporting no major service delays.

MTA/Long Island Rail Road/Metro-North

The LIRR is operating on a weekday schedule today with 90-minute hour delays system wide as a result of weather-related problems. Some isolated train delays are longer. Meanwhile, service has been restored on the Port Jefferson Branch.

Metro-North is operating on a Sunday schedule. Passengers have been told to expect delays of approximately 45 minutes.

In New York City, subway service has been partially suspended due to ice and snow conditions on the following routes:

“A” service is suspended between Rockaway Boulevard and Far Rockaway, trains are running to Lefferts Boulevard. Franklin Shuttle is suspended between Franklin Avenue and Prospect Park.

“G” service is suspended between Hoyt-Schermerhorn and Smith-Ninth streets, trains are running between Hoty-Schermerhorn and Bedford Nostrand Avenue and Court Square to Bedford Nostrand Avenue.

“M” service is suspended between Chambers Street and Bay Parkway.

NJ Transit

NJ Transit is operating an enhanced Saturday rail schedule, augmented with additional trains in the peak period on the Northeast Corridor, Montclair-Boonton, Pascack Valley, and Port Jervis lines. NJ Transit is offering Northeast Corridor customers service every half hour from 6 a.m. through the peak periods.

Morning Amtrak trains 170 and 172 stopped at Trenton, Princeton Junction, New Brunswick, and Newark, while morning Amtrak 190 train stopped in Trenton and Newark Penn Station.

Evening Amtrak trains 193 and 655 will stop only at Newark, Princeton Junction, and Trenton.

“Our service plan is designed to maximize reliability and anticipates lighter than normal commuter travel," said Bill Duggan, vice president and general manager of rail operations. “We are giving Amtrak a day to recover from the storm, so that they can support our service and readying our own equipment to return to a normal operating schedule on Wednesday."

On Wednesday, Midtown Direct trains will continue to operate into Hoboken, where PATH service is available. Raritan Valley Line trains will terminate at Newark Penn Station, and no service will be available from the Jersey Avenue Station on the Northeast Corridor. Jersey Avenue customers can go to Princeton Junction or New Brunswick for train service, the agency says.

Norfolk Southern

Heavy snow, ice, and wind are impacting operations in a number of locations from Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia into the Northeast. The area includes Shared Asset Area operations in northern and southern New Jersey.

Norfolk Southern is focusing on restoring normal operations as quickly as possible. However customers with traffic moving through this area have been told to expect delays due to line interruption resulting from commercial power outages, local road conditions, frozen switches, and conditions associated with the lingering effects of this storm.

MBTA

MBTA has told patrons to expect service delays of 10 to 15 minutes on all commuter trains and out of North and South Station. The inbound Worcester train no. p518 was running 50 to 60 minutes behind schedule. Delays of up to 15 minutes on all Worcester/Framingham service were expected due to signal problems in Worcester.

Virginia Railway Express

Due to the large amount of snow and ice on CSX's right of way, VRE has told patrons CSX is “not prepared to accommodate heavy train traffic on their line tomorrow (Wednesday). This required VRE to eliminate all turnback trains."

VRE will operate a modified schedule on Wednesday, which can be accessed at http://www.vre.org/service/schedule_feb_19.htm.

MARC

Commuter train service has been cancelled for Tuesday. CSX and Amtrak have informed MARC that due to the current weather conditions they will be unable to provide service on Tuesday.

Amtrak will honor all MARC tickets on its limited intercity service that will operate on Tuesday. MARC patrons may board at Baltimore Penn Station and BWI Airport station for service to Washington.

SEPTA

SEPTA Regional Rail Lines will operate on a Saturday schedule with extra service added to heavier traveled routes during the morning and evening rush hours. However, due to weather conditions there is no R6 Cynwyd service.

In addition, R2 Marcus Hook/Wilmington trains will not operate beyond Marcus Hook. The R5 Thorndale/Paoli trains will only operate to Malvern with the exception of the inbound trains scheduled to leave Thorndale at 6:43 a.m. and 8:13 a.m. and two afternoon trips to Thorndale.

Thanks, Viewliner, for the added info. It was a really neat museum, I visited it several times. It is not t-o-o-o long of walk from the Inner harbor, at least not if you have big long legs as I have. Or, at least, it would not be an expensive cab fare, for whenever it is operational again..

Sort of in a similar area are Edgar Allan Poe's graveside and one of the childhood homes of Babe Ruth.(at least as I remember them, they are all sort of, kind of, near each other,at least for people who like to walk, and near the Inner Harbor, which is one of Baltimore's hugest attractions.

More to the point, all of these attractions are on the opposite side of downtown from the Amtrak station. But all are good, and we wish the best for the musem......hope it will reopens soon...

I sure hope it will be, that's one of the highlights of the convention! One additional note to the Commuter Delays, Tri-Rail is running under normal schedule with no delays! :D TAKE THAT NORTHEAST CORRIDOR!

battalion51 said:
One additional note to the Commuter Delays, Tri-Rail is running under normal schedule with no delays! :D TAKE THAT NORTHEAST CORRIDOR!
Well let's see just how well Tri-rail does if we send you a foot of snow, let alone two feet +. :lol: :D

Yes well, let's see how well you handle it when a Category 5 Hurricane comes your way. (i'm just playing here, don't lest this be construed as an insult).

I know that you are kidding, as was I. However, didn't Tri-rail have problems during Andrew? I seem to recall that they were shut down. I know for sure that Amtrak was.

Actually the hurricane thing brings up a good point for the Northeast Corridor. A lot of the catenary is very near the ocean (especially north of NHV), so how much wind force can it take before high-voltage wire is flying every which way?

Two days ago on Tuesday, the reports on 19-20 were good, that is, 19 going into New Orleans and the set of 20 going into NYC.(though that was a little hard to believe).

Then, yesterday, Wednesday, it said service disruption, for both.

It says the same thing today, Thursday.

But last night I stopped by the station on my way home and the station was crowded with people(as for the holidays) and it was impossible to get to the ticket window. But I asked several passengers and most fo them thought the n.b. train was about one hour late.

So, I guess Amtrak's system is on the blink?

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back