Acela 21 (Avelia Liberty) development, testing and deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed that recently there has been zero info coming out on the new trainsets. Which to me is a good thing. I'm going to guess that sooner or later we'll see some leaked photos of the new trainsets. IIRC the Estimated Delivery Date for the prototype set is First Quarter 2019.

I have noticed since February 2018, there have been quite a few job notice postings at Alston in the local newspaper, but no new newspaper articles.

I just want to emphasize, Avelia Liberty is possibly the worst name ever applied to any piece of rolling stock in the history of mankind. Its just awful.
Yep, I'm thinking Acela II will somehow end up being the "Official" Name, but even if not, train fans,and riders will call them by that name!
Best Name ever for a LD Train "The Orient Express".

Best here, " The Wabash Cannonball" or " The City of Everywhere".

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to emphasize, “Avelia Liberty” is possibly the worst name ever applied to any piece of rolling stock in the history of mankind. It’s just awful.
Acelas train sets were “American Flyer” before Lionel got on their case. Then they changed it to something else. Fortunately, manufacturer’s product name seldom has much to do with branding of service using those products.
Afterall RaiLJets are not called Viaggio either.

I just want to emphasize, “Avelia Liberty” is possibly the worst name ever applied to any piece of rolling stock in the history of mankind. It’s just awful.
Acelas train sets were “American Flyer” before Lionel got on their case.
And the term American Flyer wasn't original IMO. Acela is for sure original and IMO sounds better then "American Flyer". But the one thing I'll always get a kick out of is that Amtrak claims they renamed the Acela project as a "departure from the original name".

Amtrak posted projected images of the new Acela II trainsets on their media page. A thank you to Jis for posting this on the AU facebook page.

The new trainsets appear to have a more European look. Which IMO is not a surprise considering the builder is Alstom. Personally I was hoping for a more European look compared to what we have now.

https://media.amtrak.com/media-images/nextgentraininteriors/

Amtrak posted projected images of the new Acela II trainsets on their media page. A thank you to Jis for posting this on the AU facebook page.

The new trainsets appear to have a more European look. Which IMO is not a surprise considering the builder is Alstom. Personally I was hoping for a more European look compared to what we have now.

It'll be great when these arrive. I love riding the Acela trains now, but they're definitely getting a bit shabby although my last ride was a few months ago before they started the interior updates.

Picture 6 shows Boston as next stop, time 1452, and speed 175. We believe that is several Gothas ?/ Also WC for water closet ?

Picture 6 shows Boston as next stop, time 1452, and speed 175. We believe that is several Gothas ?/ Also WC for water closet ?
To be fair, hard to fit "toilet" into a small light like that and WC is probably more universally recognized that other symbols for the toilet.

By the way, the seats are fixed. Half will face the direction of travel and half will face the other way. Guess who gets to pay more? Enjoy your assigned seat!
default_happy.png

By the way, the seats are fixed. Half will face the direction of travel and half will face the other way. Guess who gets to pay more? Enjoy your assigned seat!
default_happy.png
THAT SUCKS! I really hate this new attitude that we have to accept riding backwards at 160 mph.

Why can't we be as clever as the Japanese regarding this?

It may be those rotating seats would not FRA crash worth specifications ?

default_happy.png
THAT SUCKS! I really hate this new attitude that we have to accept riding backwards at 160 mph.

Some of the seats on the single level corridor coaches can in fact rotate. I doubt it would be hard to transplant that to the Acela II.

default_happy.png
Brightline Siemens cars and by extension California and the midwest is or will be set up like this. Makes turning a train quicker.

It is a TGV clone, same power cars different pax cars. Which may make this one of Amtrak's smartest procurement move ever.

It is a TGV clone, same power cars different pax cars. Which may make this one of Amtrak's smartest procurement move ever.
Not quite a clone. The Avelia has tilt, which the TGV does not.

Also, I think that not turning the seats means they can use a different in-seat power setup. I seem to recall being told that this was in the works about 2-3 years ago by someone who got pulled into a product focus group.

default_happy.png

The seats on all Amfleets and Superliners (and I think Horizons?) have reversible seats. That doesn't mean it's necessarily easy to put on Acela II.

It'll be great when these arrive. I love riding the Acela trains now, but they're definitely getting a bit shabby although my last ride was a few months ago before they started the interior updates.
The last time I rode an Acela which my last train trip in April I rode on 2173 from BOS to PHL. The First Class sears were in need of a lot of love. But that is happening currently.

default_happy.png
Another part of European design but the reasoning makes sense. It’s not easy if at all practical to have rotating seats with electric outlets.

I’m curious as to how they’ll assign seats on the new TS. Biz and First or just First?

default_happy.png

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/19/rotating-train-seats-japan_n_5591662.html
I can tell that you’re not familiar with any Amtrak rolling stock.

The seats on all equipment including the current Acela trainsets rotate. Including the seats at the tables. Should Amtrak decide to move the tables in the cars.

default_happy.png

Correct. But it’s not really possible to put the electric outlets in each seat while they can rotate.

default_happy.png

The outlets are on the seats themselves with the Acela IIs? Why?

Back