Quantcast

Alstom making progress on Acela 2 contract

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

NTL1991

Train Attendant
Test extra 874 is on its way up the corridor now.

PHL 09:10
NYP 11:15
NHV 13:00
BOS 15:35

From what we’re hearing, testing will be between Westerly and Cranston Interlocking on Tuesday and Wednesday, daylight. Can’t confirm a time at this point.

Consist:

John Santos

Train Attendant
They've been talking for years (decades?) about using electric engines or EMUs for the MBTA's commuter lines on the NEC, which are currently all diesel powered. At least some of the stations (e.g. Wickford Junction in the video, which is in Rhode Island, but is served by the T commuter rail) have platform tracks without CAT, so that would have to be fixed. The most recent discussions I've heard involve electrifying the Stoughton branch, which splits off the NEC at Canton Junction, just north of the Neponset viaduct (which has its own very interesting history.) The plan being discussed last year was to extend the Stoughton branch south to Fall River and/or New Bedford and electrify it.

joelkfla

Service Attendant
I happened upon this version of the same video, without the banner blocking the bottom of the frame, and apparently higher resolution.

Ziv

OBS Chief
Yes on the USB issue.
" Among other features: additional interior and exterior signage to assist passengers in finding their way, streamlined overhead luggage compartments and doorless luggage space so passengers have fewer surfaces to touch. Power outlets and USB ports are more accessible to both passengers in between the seats. "
Also:
" The new trains are being built with several touchless and self-serve features that Amtrak says should make train travel more appealing in the post-coronavirus era with Americans still fearful of infection spreading through communal surfaces and human contact. "

Washington Post writer published in the Philadelphia Inquirer

So are the cars in this train going to have USB ports?
"

me_little_me

Conductor
Yes on the USB issue.
" Among other features: additional interior and exterior signage to assist passengers in finding their way, streamlined overhead luggage compartments and doorless luggage space so passengers have fewer surfaces to touch. Power outlets and USB ports are more accessible to both passengers in between the seats. "
Also:
" The new trains are being built with several touchless and self-serve features that Amtrak says should make train travel more appealing in the post-coronavirus era with Americans still fearful of infection spreading through communal surfaces and human contact. "

Washington Post writer published in the Philadelphia Inquirer
Only on Acela but not on the LD cars they JUST are planning to put into service. No need to spend too much when you're trying to dump the service.

Ziv

OBS Chief
Sorry, I thought you were referring to America's Fastest Train post which is about the Avelia Liberty/Acela2. I think that the Viewliner II's have more electrical outlets than the VL I's, but I haven't seen anything about USB ports. Personally, I would rather have an outlet than a USB. YMMV.

Only on Acela but not on the LD cars they JUST are planning to put into service. No need to spend too much when you're trying to dump the service.

PVD

Conductor
AU Supporter
You can plug an inexpensive and widely available adapter into a receptacle that lets you charge with usb cords, not the other way around, making the receptacles more useful, since they can also accommodate regular line voltage items. That said, there is an expanding selection of receptacles with additional ports for usb charging built on to them, including most major mfrs.