Acela 21 (Avelia Liberty) development, testing and deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see they are going with the less comfortable European style seats. That's kind of a shame. I've ridden on Pendolinos in Poland and their 2nd class seats were not comfortable compared to seats on the Capitol Corridor. Even first class seats on some of their trains gave the feeling of "From all of us that brought you PKP, get out".

I see they are going with the less comfortable European style seats.

Keep in mind that the new trainsets are very similar to the TGV. I believe a fair amount of the technology is from TGV trainsets. Don't write the seats off now just cause of their appearance. You never know, they could be some of the most comfortable seats you've ever sat in. ;)

Keep in mind that the new trainsets are very similar to the TGV. I believe a fair amount of the technology is from TGV trainsets. Don't write the seats off now just cause of their appearance. You never know, they could be some of the most comfortable seats you've ever sat in. ;)

I am willing to. I've ridden on European trains, they may be convenient, but comfort isn't always at the top of design considerations, at least from my experience.

Still not happy about the fixed seats and the fact that half of the passengers are going to be forced to ride backwards.

Another thing, these are brand new trains. Can't they at least figure out how to place the windows (or arrange the seats) so that every seat gets a window? Seriously Amtrak expects people to sit next to a blank wall? Come on guys. Seems like a lazy approach to rail car design to me.

Well having rotating seats with power sockets costs too much. Do you want a cost cutting somewhere else? Cause that was the option likely according to Anderson.

Another thing, these are brand new trains. Can't they at least figure out how to place the windows (or arrange the seats) so that every seat gets a window? Seriously Amtrak expects people to sit next to a blank wall? Come on guys. Seems like a lazy approach to rail car design to me.

Keep in mind that these are just mock ups. Not what the actual cars will look like with the exception of the seating.

Well having rotating seats with power sockets costs too much. Do you want a cost cutting somewhere else? Cause that was the option likely according to Anderson.

Well said.

Why? It's not complicated at all. The seats only rotate 180 degrees so a simple shielded wire running inside the base is all that's needed. It's not like they rotate around and around. Ever see a "theater in the round"? Lots of musical instruments/amps that rotate 180 degrees and then go back 180 degrees. Pretty simple really.

Last edited:
Why? It's not complicated at all. The seats only rotate 180 degrees so a simple wire running inside the base is all that's needed. It's not like they rotate around and around. Ever see a "theater in the round"? Lots of musical instruments/amps that rotate 180 degrees and then go back 180 degrees. Pretty simple really.

The one thing I can tell from your post is that you don realize how often these seats are rotated. The electrical components would wear out very quickly from being rotated so much.

Why? It's not complicated at all. The seats only rotate 180 degrees so a simple wire running inside the base is all that's needed. It's not like they rotate around and around. Ever see a "theater in the round"? Lots of musical instruments/amps that rotate 180 degrees and then go back 180 degrees. Pretty simple really.

Doesn't matter. If Amtrak is going with off the shelf equipment, a different seat is an add on. And add ons/substitutions cost extra. And we all know Amtrak can't afford extras.

Still not happy about the fixed seats and the fact that half of the passengers are going to be forced to ride backwards.

Right now on the Acelas, a large percentage of the seats are fixed to ride backwards. When the Vermonter did the reverse move at Palmer, half the seats were fixed to face backwards. I think there's other current Amtrak service with a considerable percentage of the seats facing backwards. I don't think that's keeping people from riding the trains.

What bothers me about the arrangement of the seats on the current Acela is not that some of them are fixed to face backwards, but they are arranged so that you can't get a full seat recline. That should be an easy enough fix, just design the interiors so that in one end of the car the seats face one way, and in the other end, the seats face the other way, with the 4-seater tables in the middle of the car, not scattered around, like in the Acela first class, or at the end of the car, as in the Acela and Amfleet 1 business class.

Right now on the Acelas, a large percentage of the seats are fixed to ride backwards. When the Vermonter did the reverse move at Palmer, half the seats were fixed to face backwards. I think there's other current Amtrak service with a considerable percentage of the seats facing backwards. I don't think that's keeping people from riding the trains.

Define "A large percentage". Cause the majority of the seats in BC rotate. And are rotated during layovers in WAS and BOS.

Keystone Trains as well as Hiawatha Trains run 50/50 seating. Keystones change direction at PHL and the Hiawatha's don't layover long enough to flip all the seats.

What bothers me about the arrangement of the seats on the current Acela is not that some of them are fixed to face backwards, but they are arranged so that you can't get a full seat recline. That should be an easy enough fix, just design the interiors so that in one end of the car the seats face one way, and in the other end, the seats face the other way, with the 4-seater tables in the middle of the car, not scattered around, like in the Acela first class, or at the end of the car, as in the Acela and Amfleet 1 business class.

You'll be happy that if things go correctly, passengers will be able to select their seat when they make reservations...and I'm sure those forward facing seats will cost more than the rear facing cramped seat. I'll bet window seats will cost more too.

According to the August NGEC report. 2 cars are completed in Hornell, No power cars yet, and not a trainset. Minor delays have occurred BUT... Still on track for the first trainset to go to TTCI in January.

Some mods are necessary to conform to FRA guidelines.

I was shocked when Amtrak released the photo. BUT, at the same time it's good publicity about an up and coming new product.

What is there to be shocked about it? Outside of the US it is not even anything new. Pretty much just another version of a TGV.

Last edited:
That photo doesn't show very much...would be much more interested in seeing large photo's of the inside, where it matters...

Back