Acela 21 (Avelia Liberty) development, testing and deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A post on TrainOrders mentions that Tuesday at 8am is the next pick up bound for Philly.

There was some wavering but I think it will still occur as scheduled. It'll be a one day trip from the plant to PHL. It will travel over the NS to HAR, then the Keystone Line with the same provisions (waivers) as the move to Pueblo.

Any updates on the movement tomorrow will be greatly appreciated. I'll do my best to get out and get this movement somewhere in the Philly area if it's at a reasonable hour. But I honestly don't see that happening.

Any updates on the movement tomorrow will be greatly appreciated. I'll do my best to get out and get this movement somewhere in the Philly area if it's at a reasonable hour. But I honestly don't see that happening.

It's not due in PHL until close to 11pm but it may run early.

I found this photo posted online ofbthe trian on the Nicholson viaduct. He posted other nice photos of the train movement.

Last edited:
The trainset is in Penn Coach Yard in Philadelphia. I passed by around 1230 this afternoon and the Pantograph was up on one Power Car and some skirts were up on some cars. I read in TrainOrders that APD was chasing railfans out of the parking garage all day yesterday. So it’s advisable to stay away for now. I’ll also mention that the trainset is not in a good spot for Photos currently. I almost went yesterday but I’m glad that I didn’t. I figured that APD would be doing such things. Which cracks me up. They don’t want people taking pictures of something that’s going to be photographed anyway. Lol! I’ll never understand I guess.

So bottom line, they’re doing some static inspections and don’t goto PHL to take photos for now.

FYI. The Bill Christian photos on Flickr start at:
Note that this appears to be the final paint scheme.

Last edited:
Despite the weird thing going on with the different shape engine/cars which I know has been talked about a lot, I really think this scheme is miles better than the original Acela. Much more modern, although i guess the original scheme was a product of its time.

Despite the weird thing going on with the different shape engine/cars which I know has been talked about a lot, I really think this scheme is miles better than the original Acela. Much more modern, although i guess the original scheme was a product of its time.

FWIW, I tend to agree. Much of the time people are looking at the side of the train anyway. Photographers tend to worry about the angled shots.

With the dots and solid blue, does anyone else see a vague family resemblance to the Amtrak Midwest scheme? I personally like the new Acela scheme better, but they don’t appear to be totally different.

Isn't that a private garage? I wouldn't think APD had jurisdiction.

So I believe, and take this with a grain of salt... That the Garage and the Cira Center are owned by Amtrak. I know someone who can look into the public city property records to give me a firm answer. But considering that the trainset is on Amtrak Property I guess it's fair game.

I saw a mention on another forum (on the purchase of 137 (now 146) Siemens single level cars) of a possible test last night (31st-1st) for the Acela on NEC. Any word of a test actually taking place?

BTW, there is a little interesting Acela information in the 2020 Amtrak Procurement Presentation at: Section305Committee.aspx .

Unrelated question: Am I going to run off the end of Netflix before this month stuck at home is over?

I saw a mention on another forum (on the purchase of 137 (now 146) Siemens single level cars) of a possible test last night (31st-1st) for the Acela on NEC. Any word of a test actually taking place?

BTW, there is some interesting Acela information in the 2020 Amtrak Procurement Presentation at: Section305Committee.aspx .

Unrelated question: Am I going to run off the end of Netflix before this month stuck at home is over?
The Acela should be making a test run tonight between Phila and just across the Susquehanna River (between Perryville and Aberdeen) . Expected to follow #55 out of Phila and return before #90

Looks like Amtrak had to conduct focus groups to realize that people don't want to ride backwards or have no place to sit in the cafe. Wow, who could have figured that out?

Amtrak Focus Group:

Potential Challenges
(may need talking points)
• Sharing pull down sunshades
• One restroom vs two per car
Lack of seating in café car
• Flow of traffic at point of sale
50/50 seating

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents ... 281%29.pdf

BTW, there is a little interesting Acela information in the 2020 Amtrak Procurement Presentation at: Section305Committee.aspx .

For something different, Appalashop says "we're making our entire digital catalogue free to rent. Just use code "watchparty" when you rent a film over Vimeo — and let us know what you choose to watch!"

Looks like Amtrak had to conduct focus groups to realize that people don't want to ride backwards or have no place to sit in the cafe. Wow, who could have figured that out?

Amtrak Focus Group:

Potential Challenges
(may need talking points)
• Sharing pull down sunshades
• One restroom vs two per car
Lack of seating in café car
• Flow of traffic at point of sale
50/50 seating

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents ... 281%29.pdf

No...they've been aware of it since it was first proposed. Notice it doesn't say "points to reconsider." It says "may need talking points," which will be used to smooth it over and tell you to get over it. :cool:

That was actually posted on this board in the appropriate thread. However, they wisely pulled the plug. Even though the projects should move forward, I think this is a terrible time to test new equipment.

Interesting there is only one restroom on the new sets vs the two on the current Acela sets as well as Amfleets. I have only ridden the Acela twice, so I can't comment very much on restroom usage there, maybe someone else can, but I know on Amfleets, at least on the NEC, both restrooms are sometimes in use, and there can even be people waiting.

Interesting there is only one restroom on the new sets vs the two on the current Acela sets as well as Amfleets. I have only ridden the Acela twice, so I can't comment very much on restroom usage there, maybe someone else can, but I know on Amfleets, at least on the NEC, both restrooms are sometimes in use, and there can even be people waiting.
It WILL be a problem.....

Back