Acela 21 (Avelia Liberty) development, testing and deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Test extra 874 is on its way up the corridor now.

PHL 09:10
NYP 11:15
NHV 13:00
BOS 15:35

From what we’re hearing, testing will be between Westerly and Cranston Interlocking on Tuesday and Wednesday, daylight. Can’t confirm a time at this point.

Consist:

They've been talking for years (decades?) about using electric engines or EMUs for the MBTA's commuter lines on the NEC, which are currently all diesel powered. At least some of the stations (e.g. Wickford Junction in the video, which is in Rhode Island, but is served by the T commuter rail) have platform tracks without CAT, so that would have to be fixed. The most recent discussions I've heard involve electrifying the Stoughton branch, which splits off the NEC at Canton Junction, just north of the Neponset viaduct (which has its own very interesting history.) The plan being discussed last year was to extend the Stoughton branch south to Fall River and/or New Bedford and electrify it.

Yes on the USB issue.
" Among other features: additional interior and exterior signage to assist passengers in finding their way, streamlined overhead luggage compartments and doorless luggage space so passengers have fewer surfaces to touch. Power outlets and USB ports are more accessible to both passengers in between the seats. "
Also:
" The new trains are being built with several touchless and self-serve features that Amtrak says should make train travel more appealing in the post-coronavirus era with Americans still fearful of infection spreading through communal surfaces and human contact. "

Washington Post writer published in the Philadelphia Inquirer
https://www.inquirer.com/transportation/amtrak-new-acela-trains-debut-coronavirus-20200606.html

So are the cars in this train going to have USB ports?
"

Yes on the USB issue.
" Among other features: additional interior and exterior signage to assist passengers in finding their way, streamlined overhead luggage compartments and doorless luggage space so passengers have fewer surfaces to touch. Power outlets and USB ports are more accessible to both passengers in between the seats. "
Also:
" The new trains are being built with several touchless and self-serve features that Amtrak says should make train travel more appealing in the post-coronavirus era with Americans still fearful of infection spreading through communal surfaces and human contact. "

Washington Post writer published in the Philadelphia Inquirer
https://www.inquirer.com/transportation/amtrak-new-acela-trains-debut-coronavirus-20200606.html
Only on Acela but not on the LD cars they JUST are planning to put into service. No need to spend too much when you're trying to dump the service.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to America's Fastest Train post which is about the Avelia Liberty/Acela2. I think that the Viewliner II's have more electrical outlets than the VL I's, but I haven't seen anything about USB ports. Personally, I would rather have an outlet than a USB. YMMV.

Only on Acela but not on the LD cars they JUST are planning to put into service. No need to spend too much when you're trying to dump the service.

You can plug an inexpensive and widely available adapter into a receptacle that lets you charge with usb cords, not the other way around, making the receptacles more useful, since they can also accommodate regular line voltage items. That said, there is an expanding selection of receptacles with additional ports for usb charging built on to them, including most major mfrs.

A local Colorado newspaper just reported that the testing of the new Alstom train sets is nearing Completion.

https://www.cpr.org/2020/12/22/test...ed-train-nears-completion-at-pueblo-rd-track/
Hmmm...I see a possible opportunity there...
If compatible, run them for a couple of days on RTD's electrified routes out of Denver, just for publicity purposes. This would benefit both Amtrak and RTD, if they would excite more interest in the possibilities that high speed trains could offer in the future.
It is really not so far-fetched...back in the streamliner era, many roads would demo their new streamliner way off line, for that purpose, before putting them into their regular intended service...

If compatible, run them for a couple of days on RTD's electrified routes out of Denver, just for publicity purposes. This would benefit both Amtrak and RTD, if they would excite more interest in the possibilities that high speed trains could offer in the future.

It seems like a theoretical possibility -- the Denver airport line is 25kV 60Hz the same as Boston to New Haven is -- but a rather unlikely one to actually happen. I can't imagine it would get a ton of publicity with the general public either, vs. being seen by a modest number of airport workers and college students who passed by. Just parking it in downtown Denver would probably get more publicity than actually operating it.

It seems like a theoretical possibility -- the Denver airport line is 25kV 60Hz the same as Boston to New Haven is -- but a rather unlikely one to actually happen. I can't imagine it would get a ton of publicity with the general public either, vs. being seen by a modest number of airport workers and college students who passed by. Just parking it in downtown Denver would probably get more publicity than actually operating it.
Good points, but seeing it in motion for at least a couple of pre-publicized trips, would probably make the local TV news, if nothing else. Then they could have a public display at Union Station for a day or two. One minus, is that they haven't completed the interior.

Sorry for this newby question, but is the plan still for the older Acela trainsets to be retired on a one for one basis as the new trainsets arrive? I think that was the plan originally but I can't remember for sure. Better yet, I wish some of the old Acela trainsets were in good enough shape for them to put in another 6 or 8 years on another route, but I am not sure if there is another route with catenaries that would work for the higher speeds or if the old Acela's would just be too much work for Amtrak to keep them in good running condition.
It is hard to see 20 year old equipment get retired when Amtrak has such a shortage of rolling stock. I mentioned this "wish list" a couple months ago and if I remember correctly the old Acela's are all going to retired ASAP as the new Avelia's arrive. I just wish that Amtrak could use 10 or 12 of the "least worn out" of the older trainsets for another couple years.

Last edited:
Back