Am I in Japan? (day trip to Philly)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a day trip to Philly today, and I'm coming home on Acela 2169. The train rolled into the station, discharged passengers and then boarded us so quickly, I was barely in my seat before the train started moving.

Of course, I know I'm not in Japan. The Silver Star was reported at over 3 hours late, one Keystone train "lost power" even though it has a 12 kV wire right overhead, and another Keystone train is really delayed. because they're loading the passengers from the crippled train on to the one that is working. at least for now.

But me, I'm zipping along and should get home on schedule.

With the exception of NYP, I've found Acela passengers are always lined up ready to leave the train before it comes to a stop at a station and in most cases (BAL excluded), boarding passengers are on the platform and ready to board as soon as the last passenger gets off. PHL...3-5 minutes and they're gone! It's rare to see anyone remain seated until the train comes to a stop and then get up to leave on the Acelas. They're all 'well trained', I guess. ie, they go into 'training' (if you remember the old commercials 20+ years ago).

The NEC regional trains are a different animal. Maybe half the passengers are up and in line to exit at their stop. There's almost always a slowpoke or two that waits until the train has stopped before even beginning to 'pack up' to deboard. Sometimes those slow pokes have to fight their way to get off. But then, NEC regionals are unique as they have doors at both ends of each car to facilitate larger crowds on and off. Other than NYP, the boarding passengers are always on the platform ready to board when those getting off are done.

Long distance coach passengers are a 3rd story. About 75% of the time, the conductor announced 5+ minutes before the station that the train is arriving. That gives more than sufficient time to 'pack up the kids stuff', etc. Sometimes, as little as 1-2 minutes lead time (448 into SPG seems to be the worst, in my opinion. But then, all other LDs, I'm in a sleeper, so I can't be sure) Throw in the 'street car-ing' of passengers, single file, single door to get off. When they're all done, THEN the conductor starts scanning tickets on the platform letting passengers board at that one door. I'll vent my anger about the situation another time.

With the exception of NYP, I've found Acela passengers are always lined up ready to leave the train before it comes to a stop at a station and in most cases (BAL excluded), boarding passengers are on the platform and ready to board as soon as the last passenger gets off.
I've noticed the same behavior on the French and Italian high speed trains. I guess the passengers get used to the short stops and act accordingly. High speed trains beget high speed passengers?

Back