am I the only one bothered by pajamas in dining car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToniCounter

Service Attendant
I recently had the "pleasure" of sitting across from a couple and their young kid in the dining car. The mom, dad and kid were all in their cute pajamas. The Amtrak employee didn't say a word, but she rolled her eyes when they sat down.

I just kind of pretended not to notice and carried on a casual normal chit-chat with strangers in the dining car.

Am I the only one who is bothered by people wearing their pajamas in the dining car? I was in a my black polo shirt and khaki shorts. (not dressed for fine dining, but I consider that to be appropriate and comfortable for train travel) :)

This is not limited to just trains.... last year, I was on a flight from Honolulu back to LA. Two older teenage kids were in their pajamas and carried big pillows. They were in front of me during boarding. Imagine the horror I found them in the window & middle seats next to me. :( Fortunately, the flight had a few empty rows and I moved there ASAP.

SOP today.........

I see kids and 'ladies' in their PJ's at WalMart or the grocery store every time I go.

Some with less than appropriate verbiage on the butt......

Today's world.....

I have been guilty of this. Some years ago I boarded a plane in Minneapolis bound for Newark in rather skimpy bright orange jogging shorts. Nobody said anything to me on the plane, but when I reached my railroad office back in Hoboken, at least two lady co-workers read me the riot act. Of course, these days I'm the model of modesty and decorum. (??)

Good LSAs would tell anyone, not just females or kids, that night clothing is not appropriate for the Diner! Casual is fine,ie Shorts or jeans and a T-Shirt or Polo.Night clothes, Curlers and Fuzzy Slippers are Not!

I too see people out in Public in PJs Lounging Clothes and even Underwear! ,(especially in Wal-Mart and Fast Food joints),and unfortunately it seems like this is becoming the Norm!

Probably a generational thing, we used to dress up to go to the store,to travel and church, now people show up in anything!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't do it but I don't see a problem with it. It doesn't hurt anyone else. One of Amtrak´s selling points is comfort, and I don't think we should change that by making people change into formal clothes.

I've sat next to people on long haul flights who were in their pajamas. In the cockpit...

For little ones (the under 10-set) at breakfast, it doesn't bother me at all. I think that pajama breakfast is one of lifes great joys and we have so few years where we can really get away with enjoying it.

That having been said, for other meals I agree that street clothes are more appropriate.

Good LSAs would tell anyone, not just females or kids, that night clothing is not appropriate for the Diner! Casual is fine,ie Shorts or jeans and a T-Shirt or Polo.Night clothes, Curlers and Fuzzy Slippers are Not!

I too see people out in Public in PJs Lounging Clothes and even Underwear! ,(especially in Wal-Mart and Fast Food joints),and unfortunately it seems like this is becoming the Norm!

Probably a generational thing, we used to dress up to go to the store,to travel and church, now people show up in anything!
Although I agree there should be some sort of dress up for the diner, there isn't one published. Sooo...a good LSA wouldn't say anything, and risk their job!

And yes, although I am young, I still agree with dressing up a bit for travel, eating out, etc. You won't see me in a full suit, but you will see me in business casual. As a matter of fact...95% of my leisure wardrobe would actually be considered business casual.

I really don't mind, I sleep in casual clothes on the train, but what is the huge deal? I don't even own pajamas anymore, but if you are on vacation, you will want to relax, so why change clothes untill you have to?

SOP today.........

I see kids and 'ladies' in their PJ's at WalMart or the grocery store every time I go.

Today's world.....
You've clearly never seen peopleofwalmart.com

I never spend a cent or dollar of my money at Walmart. I'm a target guy. Always have been.

As for the topic. I'm willing to let it slide for kids under 10. That's it though. There isn't much wrong with a T-shirt and jeans or khakis. In February on the CL a man in his late 50's early 60's was in a sleeper and the entire trip wore a very very pricey suit. Something you'd normally see on Acela here in the NEC. He also had the attitude of I HAVE to be first on the train, first off. That trip I ended up bussed from PGH to WAS and he had to be first on the bus and the first off. I'll be honest just to mess with him I got up and took my sweet time getting my bag out of the overhead of the bus. He was pissed as all hell. He was booked on 91 and thought 91 would hold for him. We arrived in DC at 330. By the time he was off the bus it was 345 and it was long gone. I ended up in the lounge where he was bitching about Amtrak not holding the train. But in Amtrak's defense, he was dumb enough to book 30 and 91 on separate ressys. So he's flipping on the staff who handled it well but we're getting frustrated he wasn't listening. So when I explained his mistake and I guess had to guts to say he was stupid for booking separate ressys he shut up. He rebooked on 97.

When I rode the Canadian, there was an older gentleman who wore his bath robe to breakfast each morning. Rather than judging him I was happy to sit with him cause I figured he was an interesting guy. He was extremely nice to chat with.

SOP today.........

Today's world.....
You've clearly never seen peopleofwalmart.com

I never spend a cent or dollar of my money at Walmart. I'm a target guy. Always have been.
I am not a fan of WM or Target (stolen acct info ring a bell?)

WM is a 50 minute drive and Traget is 2.5 hours.....I love rural life but choice is slim at times.

Maybe you read my post wrong.....'peopleofWM' is what I see EVERY time I go!!!

As for on topic.....I have had much worse fellow passengers than PJ wearers....but it's still a odd choice on a train.

I wouldn't do it but I don't see a problem with it. It doesn't hurt anyone else. One of Amtrak´s selling points is comfort, and I don't think we should change that by making people change into formal clothes.
On the contrary, we indeed do harm - or at least a lack of courtesy and respect - to those around us when we engage in inappropriate or offensive behavior. Or as Ecclesiastes 9:18 puts it "one sinner destroyeth much good". There are standards of dress and decorum in public for a reason; If it truly doesn't hurt anyone else, then why do restaurants and other establishments have dress codes at all? Would a fancy restaurant not lose something of its appeal if everyone but one guy were wearing coat & tie or dress, but this one fellow "not hurting anyone else" were in threadbare cutoff shorts and t-shirt?

There is a huge difference between formal attire (which isn't being suggested) and merely requiring better clothing than pajamas. You can be completely comfortable without appearing as though you just crawled out of bed. People shouldn't be slobs in public; It reflects very poorly on both themselves and the establishment which has apparently stooped to their level. Much like one incidence of graffiti or a broken window leading to more if not corrected, poor standards of dress and behavior tend to spread and standards decline further. If pajamas are acceptable, what's next - dining in your undies? But if we merely require "casual attire" these problems go away while neither offending anyone nor placing an undue burden on those seeking comfort while travelling.

Good post A Voice: for small children under say five, pajamas may be acceptable in the dining car; for everyone else, no!

There's the issue of what's appropriate for the venue. I wouldn't consider PJs appropriate for any restaurant environment. It's just tacky. A t-shirt and board shorts (anyone remember Pulp Fiction?) may be informal, but not inappropriate for the dining car. A fellow passenger attired in a t-shirt and running shorts sat next to me and I didn't find it odd.

Still - I remember an advice column where the columnist said that business style attire should be expected when traveling. I found that to be someone anachronistic. The TV show Pan Am showed an era where even kids dressed up to fly.

I have been tempted to travel on one of my cross country trips as if it's 1939. Dress like a first class traveler would....no computer no cell phone.....newspapers and paper books/magazines only.

I'd probably get laughed off the train!

PJ's in the dinning car or grocery store is just plain lazy....nothing more or less.

Fashion changes. In ten years we could all be wearing pajamas as everyday casual wear. I have seen people wearing pajamas as street wear. The athletic wear that seems to be catching in is sort of pajama like. Pajamas are a trend that may or may not catch on. It doesn't bother me. As far as pajamas in the dining car it does not matter, as long as they are wearing shoes and don't smell bad about all crew can do is roll their eyes. Probably not a good idea to do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Couth.

No couth.

However, societal standards have changed and today casual attire is acceptable in more places.

However, as an old guy, I miss the days of 'putting on the dog' (to make things extra special or dress formally for a special event.)

What makes pajamas, pajamas?

Pajamas are loose-fitting, two-piece garments worn chiefly for sleeping, but sometimes also for lounging.

Pajamas may refer to several garments, for both day wear and night wear, derived from traditional pajamas and involving variations of style and material.

Good LSAs would tell anyone, not just females or kids, that night clothing is not appropriate for the Diner!
Absolutely not. Their job is to serve food, not enforce a nonexistent dress code.

I couldn't possibly care less what other people where in the diner or anywhere else. As most that have met me will attest, I'm a jeans and collared shirt kind of guy, but your personal standards of dress are exactly that - "yours" and "personal". None of my damn business what you wear out in public.

On the contrary, we indeed do harm - or at least a lack of courtesy and respect - to those around us when we engage in inappropriate or offensive behavior. Or as Ecclesiastes 9:18 puts it "one sinner destroyeth much good".
I'm pretty sure there's a "judge not, lest ye be judged" in there somewhere as well.

I'm one of those people that: "I get up, I get dressed." And similar to a previous poster, my general wardrobe would hit the lower border of business casual, has for years. My standard wear is jeans, brown boots, and collared shirt. The only difference between that and when I wear jeans to work is at work I tuck my shirt in. Other work days, same shirts, same boots, but generally brown slacks. As for the train, breakfast doesn't bother me, as long as they are covered and wearing shoes, I don't care (really, I don't care about the shoes, but Amtrak does, and many people may not realize the hazards). Lunch and dinner though I do expect at least the absence of obvious nightwear regardless of how casual the rest is.

This topic brings back memories of "Teddi Girl". Anybody else remember her? It was about 7 years ago here on this forum.
That was 7 years ago??? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back