Amazing Footage of the Wuppertal Schwebebahn From 1902

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterUptempo

Lead Service Attendant
Here is some footage of the world-famous suspension railway located in Wuppertal, Germany, taken just a year after it opened to the public. It has been digitally restored by Denis Shiryaev, whose YouTube channel is loaded with these restorations. A fascinating step into the past. The colorization isn't accurate; it's subtle and makes the film appear almost dreamlike, to me anyway. Enjoy.

Denis Shiryaev's YouTube Channel

Last edited:
Modernised and still in operation today, it is on my bucket list, Covid-19 permitting!

Agreed! The uniqueness of this rail system (as well as the background of a few of its accidents/incidents) has made me interested in riding for some time and I think would be a treat. On top of that, the city of Wuppertal looks picturesque!

Here is some footage of the world-famous suspension railway located in Wuppertal, Germany, taken just a year after it opened to the public. It has been digitally restored by Denis Shiryaev, whose YouTube channel is loaded with these restorations. A fascinating step into the past. The colorization isn't accurate; it's subtle and makes the film appear almost dreamlike, to me anyway. Enjoy.

Denis Shiryaev's YouTube Channel

Wow!!! Amazing! That's technology and that's a railroad! Thank you for sharing this!😀😃😄

What fantastic footage! As I was watching, I thought it would be great if Shiryaev did a similar job on the 1906 San Francisco Market Street footage. On visiting his youtube site, turns out he did! I've used that footage before to show my students that our conventions on road safety are of recent vintage...

Back