Amazing how many rail professionals are on this forum

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to AU @BalmyZephyr! This has been a great thread.
On one forum devoted to the Lake Shore Limited (Facebook?), the official rules forbade the monicker "Late Shore Limited" as offensive. Never did learn whether that was serious or tongue-in-cheek.
That's hilarious. Gotta love when people get offended about something that happens nearly every day!

I've always just considered myself as a railfan or Amtrak supporter. As my rail interests are focused on Amtrak and not too much the freight side of railroading. Some freights are interesting such as military equipment, wind power generating blades or Boeing 737-Max bare fuselage movements. Also, some graffiti is spectacular. I think the word foamer makes people envision someone sick or inflicted with rabies and foaming at the mouth.

I've been looking at model trains in the 2021 Lionel catalog, and they have some nice graffiti'ed train sets! Also burning houses. Not sure these things encourage good citizenship.

What do you call someone who gets excited about train terminals and travel? I watch YouTube videos about trains and terminals around the world but I could not tell you the models of engines and cars.
You just described me. I love traveling by train, and I love historic and/or interesting train stations, but I could not tell you the style/name of a locomotive if you paid me.

I do have a taste for different passenger cars -- the interiors. (I am particularly fond of clerestory cars from the 1920s and before; the natural lighting design from before cheap artificial lighting is both interesting and gorgeous.) And for train stations. And for travel. And I find signalling fascinating. And timetables.

Locomotives, I really couldn't care at all about. As long as it makes the train move, it's good. Electric traction as used on streetcars and EMUs, I have some interest in.

Ditto. I used to railfan quite a lot, but have stopped doing so over the past year and a half. I've met Railfans as young as 6 or 7 before, filming and enjoying the trains.

I railfan occasionally when I'm home it best be something rare or somewhat challenging or I won't go out for it. But when I'm on the road I enjoy seeing trains in other parts of the country. I went out this morning to see the Iowa Interstate, two days ago to see the Downeaster and Pan Am Railways, and a week before that the Florida, Gulf, & Atlantic. It has to be something doable for me, or something I can't see every day.

Living where I do I don't see trains as the nearest US railroad is 2 hours away. I do see a lot of boats and ships which is almost as interesting.

I volunteer from Spring through December as a Motorman and Conductor for the Seashore Trolley Museum (hence my job title). It has given me a taste of what a RR job might be like since we have rule books, safety procedures, etc. like the railroads do. We also get to interact with the public which is almost always positive as people are there for fun rather than on a business trip or commuting to work, etc.

I also have a HO model trolley system at home to keep up my interest in the winter when the museum is closed, based on the Boston system, where I spent my teenage years.

Back