Ambus & Fisherman's Wharf

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crescent2

Conductor
We have a couple of questions re an upcoming trip on the CZ.

We are booked to Fisherman's Wharf, and our hotel should be about a 5-10 minute walk from the Ambus stop. If the train happens to run really late, so late that the businesses at the Wharf are closed, how safe is the area for two older ladies with suitcases in tow? (Think "grandmother," not self. :huh: ) In that case, and assuming the driver doesn't care where we get off the bus, would it be better for us to get off at the Financial District and grab a taxi?

We feel safe as long as there are a good many people out and about, but would be uneasy if the area is almost deserted. We've each been to SF, briefly, before but never to the FW area, so we don't have a feel for what it's like after-hours. We have our transportation ducks in a row except for this little Ambus-hotel segment.

Also, other than SLC, at which stops between DEN and EMY does the SCA usually allow you to step outside for a couple of minutes?

Thanks much!

You should be fine when you get off @ FW/ in fact there's a good chance if you ask the driver they may drop you off @ your hotel. ( tip appropriate if so!)

If not, there are always people around that area, and since its a very touristy area cabs should be available if y'all decide your not up to the walk.

Stops on the CZ after Denver where you should have time for some fresh air include Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction ( Convienence store),Salt Lake City ( in the dark), Reno,and Sacramento.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of years ago, my sister and I (who are both eligible for every senior discount known to mankind) took the train/bus to FW for a fun couple of days. There were only about 9 people on the bus and we were the only ones getting off at the FW bus stop. The driver found out what hotel we were staying at, and asked the other passengers if anyone objected to him going off-route a bit and taking us directly to our hotel. Everyone thought it was great, so that's what he did. Great guy!

The area around FW is very busy, even after the shops close. There are many restaurants in the area that stay open late, so it's not a deserted place at night. Enjoy!

I stayed at a hotel near FW during my trip last year. It was about five minutes from the bus stop too. I stayed at the Sheraton, for what it's worth. (Nice place.)

When I got back from the Alcatraz night tour, most of the tourist shops were closed, but many bars and restaurants were still open, and the streets were well-lit. There were quite a few people walking around. I didn't feel nervous at all. With the hotels and bars in the area, there was still quite a bit of foot traffic.

If anything I would think Fishermans Wharf is safer than the the Financial District stop at night. It's not that it's really all that bad a night. The Mid-Market area can be scary because of the homelessness, drug-use, and other unpleasantries. One night I rode BART home from a symphony performance at night, and to get to the station it was "keep on walking" and try to avoid how unpleasant the area was. Market Street closer to the Financial District has fewer pedestrians late night, but it's not abandoned. However, around the Hyatt Regency there are going to be a lot more people.

At least you're not staying around Union Square. It's the notorious "Tenderloin" area just a block or two away from five-star hotels. A great many tourists and business travelers have found out how quickly the environment changes over the course of a city block.

Fishermans Wharf is a tourist area with lots of tourist hotels. People will be coming in late all the time and there's late night pedestrian traffic. Also as a tourist area there will be a lot of police because the city recognizes how bad it looks when some international tourist is robbed or worse (this is very rare). I personally would have no problem if my family happened to be at Fishermans Wharf late at night, although it would be past my child's bedtime.

I accidentally stumbled into the exact situation described above. I took the Zephyr a few years ago to Emeryville and then the AmBus to somewhere downtown nearest to the hotel I was staying at for a convention. I'm not at all uneasy about walking at night, even with luggage, so figured it would be a pleasant stroll to go only a half mile or so from the bus stop to my hotel. But boy did it get seedy fast! I'm used to many big cities including NYC, but can honestly say I was actually scared in this part of SF. Only when I (safely) got to the hotel and commented about the walk did I find out that I had walked through the heart of the Tenderloin.

That being said, the Fisherman's Wharf area is just fine at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back