Amenities Being Eliminated from Long Distance Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't take my first LD trip until next month but I've been hanging around here long enough to know that there needs to be a distinct first class to pay some large overhead. I'm retired and on a budget and will ride coach to save money. When I read about the parlor car I was very tempted to pop $400 for the length of the Starlight. I'm not getting any younger and some first class is worth the price and experience.

Good point Ghost Rider!

Or, not to put too fine a point on it, why is Amtrak cutting this when (A) funding was just reauthorized at a sustainable level and (B) they just had what might have been the best quarter in their history?
might be a good question the ask smilin' joe (that is if he's not too busy riding around in his private rail car)

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I will cancel my EB reservations for August because I wanted the amenities bag so much,,,, NOT

The mention of slippery slope however bears merit. I spent most of my professional life as a public employee, and still remember the mandates from governor's to "just cut the budget by 15%". I do a lot of customer service measurement these days,, and rrdude is right on when he talks about perceptions,,,, It doesn't take a lot for most customers to move from "what a nice thing , a wine tasting just for us" to "what's so special about sleeper accommodations other than a flat bed and meals."

I myself have been clean and sober for more than 19 years, but appreciate those folks who can handle drinking and certainly remember the pleasure it brought me,,, but I would propose the challenge is to find substitute activities that ADD value to the experience such as getting WiFi to work on the LD trains. There is a solution we just have to find it and apply it. I would sell the investment costs as a sustainability issue (one of the other hats I wear these days) in that replacing the costs of newspaper delivery and recycling (hopefully they do that with their trash) WiFi increases the ability of Amtrak Customers to be informed without the green issues of paper and the staff costs of walking round handing them out.

The challenge is to look for elements of the "LD experience" and exploit them. I would focus on things like Sleeper passengers get preferred boarding, more comfortable seats, privacy, soda / juice, (insert what else I can't dream up in two minutes). Living in the past doesn't move you forward, but accentuating the elements of the past that have value and adding customer driven elements does.

My father, god rest his soul, said the only consistency in life is change (he wasn't good at attributing sources) and the Lords of Amtrak have decided that there is ground to be gained, I am assuming primarily with the politicos, by taking these steps. I would challenge them to listen to their LD customers, document their input (survey says) and increase the value of this form of travel. The customer of a higher paid service has to feel "value". We have to create and maintain that.

Really all of this stuff is unnecessary, wasteful, and junk!

Cranberry Juice- as many have said it goes to waste as it is now.

Newspapers- welcome to 2014 and the digital age. Go green, use a smartphone and get your news while it's still news and not two days old.

Amenity Kits- bring some of your mini soap/shampoo collection you know we all have from hotel room stays.

Flowers and Vases- in the dining car, stop looking at the cluttered table and instead look out the windows and see America outside the window! The scenery is a lot more spectacular than some stupid flowers.

Astor Chocolate Squares- been cross country and have never seen them once, as others have said, so it's hard to miss something that's never been there.

*Cranberry Juice, Soap, Plants, and invisible chocolate is not going to change my travel habits or opinion of train travel whatsoever! #TrainOn

I think this may be a trial balloon wrapped in a hoax, if that makes sense. It seems odd for an April Fools' joke to come out in February (some stuff will occasionally slip in late March, but February?), but if someone wanted to trial balloon amenity cuts? If they stick, they stick. If there's a blowup, blame it on a prank.

Isn't the most important line in the notice this:

This Food Service Notice is fulfilled on April 1, 2014.
Until I hear something official, I'm taking this to be an April Fools Joke.
Yep. This has the distinct odor of a hoax.
It will be easy to tell very soon, since the cranberry juice is listed as going away on February 8 (three days from now) and the flowers on February 15. I think that the "fulfilled on April 1" just means that all of these changes will have happened by then.

Or, not to put too fine a point on it, why is Amtrak cutting this when (A) funding was just reauthorized at a sustainable level and (B) they just had what might have been the best quarter in their history?
I suspect the reason for making this move now is tied to the reauthorization bill working its way through the committees in Congress. There may be some poison pill provisions in it for the LD trains and some behind the scenes negotiations going on where Amtrak is offering up several sacrificial items to block easy sound bite attacks in the committee hearings and on TV. "Taxpayers are subsidizing Wine and Cheese receptions! Oh the colossal waste!" Although eliminating flowers on the dining room table is pretty silly as a cost cutting move

Of course, the direct savings from cutting these amenities is trivial compared to the operating costs of the LD trains. The only cuts here that I see as making much of a difference on the trips is the elimination of the Wine and Cheese receptions and free newspapers. For the newspapers, I would think Amtrak would get most of them for free, certainly the USA Today which has been a freebie for hotels for many years.

Ugh, what a shame about all of this. Amtrak isn't luxurious - and I'm not saying it should be - but as others have mentioned, it is little touches like this that make an experience something to write about and rave about. The little touches like a wine and cheese tasting make a 7 hour delay on the EB bearable.

I, personally, will absolutely miss the following:

1. flowers in the dining car

2. cranberry juice in the sleeper - I personally drank at least one or two of these containers during each trip, they go amazingly with the vodka I bring aboard

3. champagne splits

4. amenity kits

5. wine and cheese tasting

The wine and cheese tastings have probably been the highlight of each of my trips that contained one. The one on the LSL was so amazing the last time I rode it. The EB one provides a nice break from the scenery of the high plains, and there is something special about the one on the CS in the PPC.

I will also add that people have always commented how nice the wine and cheese tastings look on my blog.

When I told my H about these changes, he said - and rightly so - that it is perhaps time for us to cease using our AGR card as our primary card and perhaps look to use a different card, because he has no interest in riding LD trains with these amenities cut. In his mind, they made the trip tolerable.

Isn't the most important line in the notice this:

This Food Service Notice is fulfilled on April 1, 2014.
Until I hear something official, I'm taking this to be an April Fools Joke.
Yep. This has the distinct odor of a hoax.
No, there was a photo posted on railroad.net last night of the written notice to the train crews. The photo has been taken down as of this morning since it was of an in-house company document which may have legal implications for whoever took the image. The date on the notice was to terminate these services on March 31.

Most of the things that are being cut are a waste, to me. The only thing I'll miss is the wine and cheese tasting, but having tried it once, it's a been there done that type of thing for me. I'll still have as much fun riding the long distance rails as if these items/services hadn't been cut.

I agree that most of these things will not be missed, but, the wine and cheese would be perceived as a first class private social hour that will bring paying customers in for a lifetime. There is money in creature comforts and the feel of being pampered.

For those that have said that you won't miss the amenities, you have to remember that those of us that love trains are not necessarily representative of the general populace.

I stand by my assertion that these small things are actually inexpensive ways of increasing lifetime ROI for amtrak and retaining customers.

The wine tasting on the EB and LSL may not increase sales, as except during meals you can not buy the wine. On the LSL as pointed out, it does make the EB delays feel better. On the CS though, you can buy wine at any time. And even in the Dining Car, I have seen more sales of the "tasting" wines. I personally gave purchased that wine for dinner on the train - AND also have purchased some for later!

I just looked up a roomette for my 3 longest segments

15 day railpass $450

roomette 3 segments $1,422

I would reconsider the cuts!

I assume this means the demise of the Pacific Parlour Cars next... I can understand the illumination on the Empire Builder, it was clearly something that meant an extremely long day for the staff on that middle day who were serving 3 meals to a very crowded train already.
Not if Amtrak were to solicit Microsoft, Google, Disney, Coke, FaceBook, Apple, (an iPad at every seat!), Cisco, P&G, Go Daddy, Delta, Southwest Airlines.....yada, yada, yada, and solicit them to "sponsor" a car, with the right to paint the PPC any garish color they wish.... Alas, as most on here already know, I'm like ".......Don Quixote, tilting at Windmills............." with this idea.

Where have all the really good salespeople gone? Amtrak is calling. (I wish)

The wine and cheese events are not just about the wine and cheese. They are a fantastic way for First Class passengers to socialize and enjoy some camaraderie with the sleeping car attendants. At least that is how is has been on the Empire Builder. It's a pleasant way to pass some of the afternoon hours on board the train.

Passing other passengers in the isles of the sleeping cars doesn't quite equal being able to sit down in an informal atmosphere with fellow passengers and enjoy some time together.

As far as those who don't drink—so what. Come anyway and meet some new friends. I've seen more than a few folks attend the wine tasting events who didn't partake in any wine. As I said, these are the things that make First Class travel aboard a train more enjoyable, especially when the adventure of the trip begins with getting on board and not just when you reach your destination.

A Montanan who enjoys trail travel.

Most of the things that are being cut are a waste, to me. The only thing I'll miss is the wine and cheese tasting, but having tried it once, it's a been there done that type of thing for me. I'll still have as much fun riding the long distance rails as if these items/services hadn't been cut.
I get that these changes are trivial (at best) for some, and egregious to others (me).

Not so much for the service/amenity itself that they are cutting, but the mere fact that Amtrak is downgrading the service.

One could make an argument that if this trend continues, Amtrak might as well just rent out rooms, and ask travelers to bring their own linen or sleeping bags. (just think of the savings on bedding, washing, labor, etc.)

I mean really, is an "SP- Automat car" not far in the future, with pax microwaving their own gourmet Stouffers, Lean Cuisine, or other entrees?

In the past Amtrak offered linen tablecloths, flatware, china, and glass glasses.

• Now it's disposable and plastic. ("Hey Amtrak, I thought you were "Green", NOT!)
In the past Amtrak had a small fleet of "true" lounge cars.

• Now it's Amcafes, with tiny windows, tables on one/both ends, Lounge? NOT. More like sitting at a Subway or McDonald's. Hell, even McDonald's is re-imaging their stores.
  • Don't think the Le Pub lounge on the Montealer made a difference? Then I don't think you ever rode that train.
I could go on, but you get my point I hope. Like I said, it's a "race to the bottom" and in the end NO ONE wins.

• Not the pax
  • Not the crew
  • Not Amtrak

The January, 2014 issue of Amtrak Ink has been posted on the website. Besides parts of the Railway Age interview with Boardman and a 2 page story on commuter rail partners, it has an interview with Mark Murphy, the new General Manager for LD services on page 14. Mr. Murphy started working at Amtrak at 19, so he is not an outsider brought in to run LD trains. The interview has a high buzzword count - strategy map. metrics, vision - but there is one question and response that is relevant to the elimination of the amenities which also implies that more changes are coming:

What is the biggest opportunity for the long-distance services?

"Our current financial situation cries out for innovation. So let’s do that. Nothing should be sacred at this point. We will be looking at the dining car model, service delivery model, employee empowerment, sales and revenue incentives, possible new routes just to name a few. There are a tremendous number of very talented folks with a wealth of good solid business ideas who work for the long-distance business line. Our job as the leadership team is to identify these key men and women, solicit their ideas and determine what it will take to make those ideas work rather than spending so much energy coming up with reasons they won’t."

edit: fixed year for the Ink

Those changes do not impact me negatively, however, I wonder if there are more "changes"

coming. I would like to know the anticipated savings Amtrak expects from the changes.

I get that these changes are trivial (at best) for some, and egregious to others (me).

Not so much for the service/amenity itself that they are cutting, but the mere fact that Amtrak is downgrading the service.

One could make an argument that if this trend continues, Amtrak might as well just rent out rooms, and ask travelers to bring their own linen or sleeping bags. (just think of the savings on bedding, washing, labor, etc.)

I mean really, is an "SP- Automat car" not far in the future, with pax microwaving their own gourmet Stouffers, Lean Cuisine, or other entrees?

In the past Amtrak offered linen tablecloths, flatware, china, and glass glasses.

• Now it's disposable and plastic. ("Hey Amtrak, I thought you were "Green", NOT!)
In the past Amtrak had a small fleet of "true" lounge cars.

• Now it's Amcafes, with tiny windows, tables on one/both ends, Lounge? NOT. More like sitting at a Subway or McDonald's. Hell, even McDonald's is re-imaging their stores.
  • Don't think the Le Pub lounge on the Montealer made a difference? Then I don't think you ever rode that train.
I could go on, but you get my point I hope. Like I said, it's a "race to the bottom" and in the end NO ONE wins.

• Not the pax
  • Not the crew
  • Not Amtrak
I don't feel like my service has been downgraded. I'm not into frills and that's what (to me) has been cut. I'm as excited about my future rides on LD trains (I have an upcoming trip in July) as I was yesterday.

I suppose I'm not a typical train fan. I enjoy riding the train because I love the feeling I get. I don't really pay attention to what the consist is (or even understand much about what it is), I don't know many of the OBS names (except an occasional conductor, A/C or SCA), not a big deal if I associate with other passengers or not, I just love the ride. Also, I love watching the trains when not riding them.

OTOH, I can see how this stuff can be a big deal to many and I do feel badly for those of you who feel Amtrak passengers are losing out. I hope you continue riding even though these features are not going to be available.

Geez, they take away a little flower and people are acting like by this time next year you'll be in a folding chair bolted to the deck of an autorack.

Geez, they take away a little flower and people are acting like by this time next year you'll be in a folding chair bolted to the deck of an autorack.
Shhh... Don't give them any ideas! This ain't RyanAir yet...

Seriously, they could PAY for these amenties by charging each sleeper pax $10 more. When you have a $1400 reservation, who is going to notice that it has gone up to $1420?

No word in this memo about newspapers being cut from Business Class services in the East.

I thought that the wine and cheese was donated to the Coast Starlight by the State of California as "advertising". Maybe I thought that in a dream or something. If not, why couldn't it be?

It seems to me that long distance sleeper riders are willing to pay more and more and more as the rooms continue to get sold out relatively frequently. I hate to say something that would price me out of a sleeper, but the price needs to keep going up until they don't sell rooms any more. Let demand set the prices - increase the demand by offering low cost amenities that MORE than compensate for the increased cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back