Amenity kit on LSL and CL?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hotel I used to work at provided amenities for guest rooms in refillable pump bottles. The custom-blended citrus castile soap (the most-consumed amenity) cost $2500 for 50 gallons. Some of the cost was recovered by selling soap in the hotel gift shop at $20 for 12 ounces, but most of the expense was borne by room rates. We used 50 gallons about every six months for 46 rooms and restaurant bathrooms.

Speaking of restaurants, I know the restaurant at my former employer certainly made money. The Embassy Suites in downtown Portland (some AU'ers stay here...) seems to have struggled to have a full-service restaurant;the three times I have stayed there, the restaurant was closed. I got room service once, and the food was very mediocre (possibly cafeteria food for employees?).

Speaking of restaurants, I know the restaurant at my former employer certainly made money.

I’m sure some do. I’ve been to some very crowded hotel restaurants that have their own following, not just hotel guests. But I’ve also been to hotel restaurants that couldn’t possibly be profitable on a nightly basis. But that doesn’t mean the food service as a whole was losing money, they could make it up with banquets.

As I posted earlier, the biggest problem (at Marriott at least) is empty bottles. They use several styles other than those shown in the link and most, like those shown, are not see-through. The housekeepers ignore them. There is almost always at least one of the three empty. Drury hotels OTOH, who have been at this longer, never seem to have this problem. The bottles are also far from tamper-proof. In one hotel where we stayed recently, one bottle was lying on the floor of the shower, having fallen from the retainer on the wall. This left plenty of room to remove the others if one was so inclined. One final note is that better hotels also supply hand cream/body lotion which some - especially my wife - consider essential. It will be interesting to see how this is handled or whether it will be discontinued.

Back