Amfleet coach on Amtrak website looks possibly damaged

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it may be worth ... just found a photo of the same car minus the wearing off yellow striping....

82653A.jpg

This suggests to me that the car was specially striped with that Yellow band for some reason and then no one cleaned up after whatever purpose was served. It does not look like a damage to the basic car.

Anyway its original number when delivered was 21250. It was renumbered 82079 in Oct 01, and then 82653 in Feb 07.

For what it may be worth ... just found a photo of the same car minus the wearing off yellow striping....

82653A.jpg

This suggests to me that the car was specially striped with that Yellow band for some reason and then no one cleaned up after whatever purpose was served. It does not look like a damage to the basic car.

Anyway its original number when delivered was 21250. It was renumbered 82079 in Oct 01, and then 82653 in Feb 07.
Just a guess... but the yellow strip might have been a temporary designation for the car to be used in some capacity as a transport of track maintenance crews.

I appreciate the responses above, which are great, but:

What kind of company would post a photo like that on its homepage?

The grafitti artists are losing their touch - paint doesn't adhere to stainless steel all that well -
but will have to commend them on keeping it between the lines - - -

Paint decals are only to be removed by end user - Has Amtrak reached is end yet !

It’s sunlight reflecting off the stainless steel. Note the several other locations that the sunrise or sunset is shining.

You get that glow 30 minutes before sunset, and 30 minutes after sunrise.

Forgot the actual term they would call this when shoot a film, but it’s a well know technique.

Last edited:
I was going to say that almost looks like the reflection of some yellow tactile edging on a platform bouncing off the shiny exterior. Since the car sides aren’t perfectly smooth, it could easily warp the reflection.

It's actually the yellow strip from the platform reflecting on the stainless of the car.
Oh, yeah!

Below the yellow strip, there's a red reflection, and in the bottom left corner you can see the red pavement that's being reflected. It's weird how the reflection of the yellow strip happened to fall precisely within 1 fluting (or maybe the photographer composed it that way.)

I appreciate the responses above, which are great, but:

What kind of company would post a photo like that on its homepage?
I think you’re overreacting a bit, especially in terms with the countless of other things Amtrak is failing at. Even if it was a piece of tape or small damage, almost all amfleets probably have similar scrapes and I think the homepage looks fine as is — actually I think it looks pretty great.

I think you’re overreacting a bit, especially in terms with the countless of other things Amtrak is failing at. Even if it was a piece of tape or small damage, almost all amfleets probably have similar scrapes and I think the homepage looks fine as is — actually I think it looks pretty great.
To me the photo just says- to Amtrak’s customers- “We, Amtrak, are sloppy and don’t care.” Maybe that’s the reason why Amtrak has so many problems?

Yes, it almost certainly is reflection of the platform, deformed by the usual slight non-uniformity in typical Stainless Steel fluted sides.

Though IMHO a more careful editor could probably have chosen a cleaner photo so that we could forego this discussion :D

Last edited:
Yes, it almost certainly is reflection of the platform, deformed by the usual slight non-uniformity in typical Stainless Steel fluted sides.

Though IMHO a more careful editor could probably have chosen a cleaner photo so that we could forego this discussion :D

Agreed. I wouldn’t expect an airline to post something like that.

I remember some other deficient photos on the Amtrak website a while back- a faux Viewliner coach was one, if I recall correctly.

Agreed. I wouldn’t expect an airline to post something like that.

I remember some other deficient photos on the Amtrak website a while back- a faux Viewliner coach was one, if I recall correctly.

Trust me if you really looked hard around an Airliner you would see countless small things. Luckily for us most people aren't paying attention to the things.

Trust me if you really looked hard around an Airliner you would see countless small things. Luckily for us most people aren't paying attention to the things.
Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I don't think Amtrak is particularly far from the norm of being careful (or not) with graphics presented on their websites.

Last edited:
Back