Amfleet vs. Horizon Coach?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredevad

Lead Service Attendant
I'm finally starting to put together a journal/trip report for my NTD experience and I just wanted to make sure I have some equipment types correct.

Is this an Amfleet coach (more of a rounded top)?

IMG_1920.jpeg

And this is a Horizon coach (more of a squared off top)?

IMG_0156.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

Note to all: Best to avoid riding in any wrapped car - like the NTD/Subway Amfleet above - if you possibly can. The wraps severely compromise the view out. This is not a comment, as suggested elsewhere, but a simple fact. It's like looking up close at an old CRT television screen - a field of little round dots.

Note to all: Best to avoid riding in any wrapped car - like the NTD/Subway Amfleet above - if you possibly can. The wraps severely compromise the view out. This is not a comment, as suggested elsewhere, but a simple fact. It's like looking up close at an old CRT television screen - a field of little round dots.
I wondered about that. Actually, I was just looking through my pictures for any Amfleet and Horizon. Just so happens that the Amfleet was from NTD this year, but the Horizon picture was from 2008. I didn't take any pictures of the Horizon coach at NTD because I'm so used to them on the Hiawatha service trains, kind of like a space shuttle launch to Floridians.

Offtopic, but I never could figure out what picture you had there for an avatar. I've been plowing through honeymoon pictures today and realized that I took an identical picture:

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct with your labeling there... generally they run the Horizon equipment out here in the Midwest on the regional trains like the Hiawatha, Illinois Service, Hoosier State, Carl Sanburg, Missouri River Runner, etc. They have been adding extra coach cars to the Hiawatha because ridership has been going up a lot -- so they sometimes will run a couple of the Amfleet on the Hiawtha. Of the 6 cars on the set, usually 2 of the 6 cars are Amfleet... the ones that both ends of the set. They are often the quiet car. I MUCH perfer the Amfleet over the Horizon and will sit in there -- I just like the fact the lights in there aren't so bright and you can take a nap better in there!! :^D The crew seems to like the Horizons better for whatever reason.

The Horizons would be a disaster over here due to their manual end doors. NEC trains open all their doors at the platforms. The Horizons need each door opened individually, and if I saw their trap layout correctly, they can't open their traps without opening their doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back