Amshacks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DET63

Conductor
Amshack is a more-or-less generic term for a simply constructed train station, usually one replacing a more formidable facility that was used in prior years. Although they are usually built with one goal in mind ("Build it as cheaply as possible"), they are not necessarily all alike. Some may be better than the alternative (i.e., nothing at all, or at best a bus shelter) for communities that see very little passenger-train business (and probably wouldn't see more even if more traditional stations were used). Some may be temporary facilities used while existing structures are brought up to date (or code).

So, with all of that in mind, what are the best (and worst) Amshacks? What are the worst of the worst? What are the best of the worst (or should I say, "Most mediocre")?

amshack.jpg

Here's the Amshack for Elko, NV. It looks like the gate to a minimum-security prison. I've never been there. Never been to a minimum-security prison, either. :D

Amshack is a more-or-less generic term for a simply constructed train station, usually one replacing a more formidable facility that was used in prior years. Although they are usually built with one goal in mind ("Build it as cheaply as possible"), they are not necessarily all alike. Some may be better than the alternative (i.e., nothing at all, or at best a bus shelter) for communities that see very little passenger-train business (and probably wouldn't see more even if more traditional stations were used). Some may be temporary facilities used while existing structures are brought up to date (or code).
So, with all of that in mind, what are the best (and worst) Amshacks? What are the worst of the worst? What are the best of the worst (or should I say, "Most mediocre")?

amshack.jpg

Here's the Amshack for Elko, NV. It looks like the gate to a minimum-security prison. I've never been there. Never been to a minimum-security prison, either. :D
Np picture but my cantidate is San Marcos,Tx. They replaced two old stations(MP and M-K-T)with an asphalt slab and a small wooden bench,

eventually put a roof made out of plastic over it(it blew away in a storm!)!When the city finally built an intermodel station for buses/metro trans

and taxis and by the way Amtrak.they built a really modern and nice bus station type building,no services for Amtrack next to the old MKT

mainline and the Amtrak stop is a fairly short platform with a small bench and semi-roof that does nothing to protect from the extreme

weather here(heat and cold and storms!)!The platform is not even long enough for the TE and when it is running late the building is not even

open,cabs must be called and the city busses do not run after dark!Whats the point?

Np picture but my cantidate is San Marcos,Tx.
San Marcos has over 50,000 people. You'd think they'd put up something a bit more user-friendly. There would seem to be at least the potential for enough passenger traffic to support a "real" station.

San Marcos has over 50,000 people. You'd think they'd put up something a bit more user-friendly. There would seem to be at least the potential for enough passenger traffic to support a "real" station.
My old home town!I caught the old MP Eagle to STL when I went in the service here,the Katy milk run to SAS and the Amtrak TE several times !(from the old MP station and Katy station!)

Its a mystery to me why so called planners use public monies to do idiotic things like this and I spent 20+ years in WAS and 10 more in state govt. in Texas!Its definitely on my coulda been a contenda list!Every time I ride past I shake my head especially when I see a donut shop in one station and a resturant/bar in the other!The sidewalk/bench(aka stattion) is on the old MP mailine while the building is on the Katy tracks and there is poor lighting @ night,they say its a good idea to have someone meet you @ night and I believe it!And then the next stop in SAS has an Amshak built next to the beautiful old SP Sunset Depot now a seldomm used entertainment mecca!I know lots of places are worse but what a shame!

Last edited by a moderator:
ROY is a good amshack. you got 2 of them and they both have baseboard type heaters mounted to the ceiling. 2 in each shelter AND THEY WORK.

Well there is this great site. He has been to every Amtrak station and has taken photos. I bring you San Marcos, TX

sanmarcos2.jpg

Link to the site Here

Perfect for looking up any station.

Well there is this great site. He has been to every Amtrak station and has taken photos. I bring you San Marcos, TX

sanmarcos2.jpg

Link to the site Here

What a neat reference and so well arranged.The way you can use it to visualize your entire trip. Thanks for tipping us off to it. It is addictive.

I have only traveled out of Picayune, MS in the months after Katrina so I don't know what the place is like now. They used to have what looked like a very nice shelter. Katrina picked it up and put it down way down the tracks so I only saw it from a distance. On this website you can see the pictures of what it was back before the hurricane.

sanmarcos2.jpg

Link to the site Here

Thanks,this is great!Most have been made when the "station" was new,it looks to be in good shape here! :( (l last time I was by it had graffiti all over and the "platform"was filthy,the only improvement was a bench had been added but it too was now gone!)

On April 7, 2007, I visited the last Amtrak station, Oregon City Station. That means I have been to all current Amtrak stations. I visited most stations by car. I really wanted to visit all stations by train (I believe visiting stations by train is a proper way).
Slackard! What took him so long? :lol:

I have a somewhat recent photo of the Elko "Station" however I do not know how to place it into this reply. The best way I can describe the station is it is just like the stations along the Pittsburgh trolley line of the 1990's. If someone would give me the instructions on how to paste the photo I will do it.

I have a somewhat recent photo of the Elko "Station" however I do not know how to place it into this reply. The best way I can describe the station is it is just like the stations along the Pittsburgh trolley line of the 1990's. If someone would give me the instructions on how to paste the photo I will do it.
Is the photo already somewhere on the Internet? If so, you right-click on the pic, when the menu shows left-click "Copy picture address" or "Copy picture URL," then come over here, click on the "Insert Image" box in the text editor, right-click in the box, left-click on "Paste," then click on "OK." I know this sounds complicated, but after you've done it once or twice it becomes pretty intuitive. (If you're using Internet Explorer, you have to do an additional step and click on "Properties" to find the image's address. Yet another reason to hate IE, IMHO.)

If the photo isn't online yet, you'll have to find a photo hosting service and then get them to put the picture up for you. It's another step, but shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Is the photo already somewhere on the Internet? If so, you right-click on the pic, when the menu shows left-click "Copy picture address" or "Copy picture URL," then come over here, click on the "Insert Image" box in the text editor, right-click in the box, left-click on "Paste," then click on "OK." I know this sounds complicated, but after you've done it once or twice it becomes pretty intuitive. (If you're using Internet Explorer, you have to do an additional step and click on "Properties" to find the image's address. Yet another reason to hate IE, IMHO.)
If the photo isn't online yet, you'll have to find a photo hosting service and then get them to put the picture up for you. It's another step, but shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
Reposting images from other Web sites without permission is called hotlinking and is often a no-no (although I'm not entirely sure what this board's policy is). It uses up a lot of the original site's bandwidth and people get cranky about that (unless you have permission).

I think it's preferred that posters use either their own Web space or a photo sharing service (like Photobucket or Picasa or something like that). Many of these sites are free and willingly provide you the image address (or URL) for reposting elsewhere.

Good luck.

sanmarcos2.jpg

Link to the site Here

Ya know what? I totally agree that SM SHOULD have a real station, but as far as AmShacks go, I'd take this over many, many of the others seen.............. At least it's not "trying" to be something it's not.........

Thanks for the instructions on how to add the photos, here are my pictures of the Elko Station. Both were taken last year. However I went by the station again 2 weeks ago and there is no change. My wife and I moved our daughter to Elko last year and I suggested we return by train. Both of us recommend the ride to all we meet. But we do point out that the ride from Elko to Pittsburgh takes a three night ride, we departed Elko around 9 PM on a Friday and arrive in Pittsburgh 5:30 AM Monday. The ride through the Colorado Rivver Valley was wonderful, got mooned more than once and flashed a couple of times too. I will work on getting a clearer view of the schedule.

th_IMG_2624.jpg

th_IMG_2627.jpg

Thanks for the instructions on how to add the photos, here are my pictures of the Elko Station. Both were taken last year. However I went by the station again 2 weeks ago and there is no change. My wife and I moved our daughter to Elko last year and I suggested we return by train. Both of us recommend the ride to all we meet. But we do point out that the ride from Elko to Pittsburgh takes a three night ride, we departed Elko around 9 PM on a Friday and arrive in Pittsburgh 5:30 AM Monday. The ride through the Colorado Rivver Valley was wonderful, got mooned more than once and flashed a couple of times too. I will work on getting a clearer view of the schedule.
th_IMG_2624.jpg

th_IMG_2627.jpg
Yeah this is pretty bad!What happens when its 130 in the desert or raining,Beaumont might have a contender! :eek:

Yeah this is pretty bad!What happens when its 130 in the desert or raining,Beaumont might have a contender! :eek:
You're kidding, right? <_< Neither station has anything on ALC, sitting in a valley in the heart of the Lake Erie snow belt...

You're kidding, right? <_< Neither station has anything on ALC, sitting in a valley in the heart of the Lake Erie snow belt...
Especially with those early morning call times! I wouldn't want to be out there at 3am in the middle of January to catch a train! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back