amsnag inactivity emails

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b243923

Service Attendant
I have been getting at least 3 emails a day from amsnag saying my access will be cut-off due to inactivety of an ongoing search.

Anybody else getting these?

They just keep coming on a daily basis.

Yup.

I have had enough and just dumped AmSnag into my Spam filter; I'll take it back out if I go to use them for a fare alert in the future.

There are two versions of Amsnag. Since I have an alert set in version 2, I assume the inactivity messages are for version 1.

It was some time ago that the the annoying email problem was reported. I never could find out what was causing it; but after being scolded by the hosting service the problem went away.

Two questions for those receiving the emails.

Have you entered an itinerary within the last several months? i.e., if there were code in place that sends an email to inactive accounts, would you expect to receive one (not many, of course)?

Are you using version 1? As I mentioned in another thread, I've retired that version. It should be inaccessible now.

In aany event, I'm looking into it.

Have you entered an itinerary within the last several months? i.e., if there were code in place that sends an email to inactive accounts, would you expect to receive one (not many, of course)?
Yes and no.

Are you using version 1?
No, version 2 (actually, 2.02, according to the web page, but you knew that).

In any event, I'm looking into it.
Thank you, both for looking into it and for providing Amsnag.

After the emails started arriving, I created a dummy itinerary. (I already had valid itineraries, but I added one.) The emails continued, and I just deleted the dummy itinerary (but kept the valid itineraries).

I've gotten 18 such emails since April 18, including one this afternoon.

I've done a couple of things that might stop the problem. But to be honest, I can't figure out what is going on. The techies in the audience know that sending the emails requires a script (program in older jargon) and a cron job to execute the script in the background. I can't find evidence of either.

The last time this happened (June of 2017), it was version 1. Since I log each email sent, the log table filled up, drew the attention of the hosting service who locked me out of the data base. Once their tech rep cleared the log table, we were back in business and the problem seemed to disappear. This time the log table is empty.

If it continues to be a problem, I will hear about it; and I will try to do something.

I've done a couple of things that might stop the problem. But to be honest, I can't figure out what is going on. The techies in the audience know that sending the emails requires a script (program in older jargon) and a cron job to execute the script in the background. I can't find evidence of either.

The last time this happened (June of 2017), it was version 1. Since I log each email sent, the log table filled up, drew the attention of the hosting service who locked me out of the data base. Once their tech rep cleared the log table, we were back in business and the problem seemed to disappear. This time the log table is empty.

If it continues to be a problem, I will hear about it; and I will try to do something.
Thanks! Have not received any yet today. To answer an earlier question I last used it around 18 months ago for an Autotrain trip for last May. Funny thing is it never let me know about any price drops (which there were) don’t know the version, what ever was on the website at the time. Quick question Paul M, does Amsnag work with bedroom prices also? Planning a trip in January and would want to try and use it from my Autotrain trip again. Thanks for your hard work!

Thanks! Have not received any yet today. To answer an earlier question I last used it around 18 months ago for an Autotrain trip for last May. Funny thing is it never let me know about any price drops (which there were) don’t know the version, what ever was on the website at the time. Quick question Paul M, does Amsnag work with bedroom prices also? Planning a trip in January and would want to try and use it from my Autotrain trip again. Thanks for your hard work!
It works with all accomodations - roomette, family bedroom, accessible bedroom, bedroom, coach, first class, and business.

Back