Amsnag

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant
I have been trying to check ticket prices on Amsnag and every time I enter information I get an alert that says ##invalid from or to code##

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Maybe has something to do with the fact that Amtrak updated their website? I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. Amtrak added two letters to the name of the departure date field. It's working again, at least until the next change.

It's broke again. I get " ### Unknown Error page returned! ### "

This time is was a change at the web hosting service due to DDOS attacks. For techies, the default php ini setting to allow web sites to be retrieved (allow_url_fopen) was changed to OFF, whereas it had always been set to ON. Anyway, it's working again.

Sometimes the problem is solved just by switching browsers. IE seems to be the worst, Firefox the best. That's "sometimes but not always" :)

Sometimes the problem is solved just by switching browsers.
I don't believe there is anything browser dependent here. Over it's history there have been 4 problems. other than routine bugs::

1. Change in Amtrak's query URL causing fares not to be retreived - URL changed.

2. Change in Amtrak's fare output page causing fares to be displayed incorrectly - parsing algorithm changed.

3. Change in hosting service default php ini settings causing query to be not sent - added command to manually set ini.

4. Amtrak's server blocking IP address - I'd rather not say what the solution was.

Thank you for fighting the obvious wars (and maybe some less obvious?) to benefit the rest of us. Know that your work does not go unappreciated.

The Amsnag web site works for me okay but I have question about the Amsnag Desktop version 1.2. Until the update to Amtrak.com, I had no problem using the desktop version but since Sunday, everytime I try to use the desktop version I receive an error message and then the desktop version "closes". Is this related to Amtrak's website update and will the desktop version be updated to work with the new Amtrak.com?

since Sunday, everytime I try to use the desktop version I receive an error message and then the desktop version "closes". Is this related to Amtrak's website update and will the desktop version be updated to work with the new Amtrak.com?
Yes and Yes; I'm working on it.

Click here and when prompted overwrite the existing executable.

My hat is also off to PaulM. The fruits of his labors allow easy selection of travel dates with the lowest fares. The lowest fares are marked green (the highest marked red) in the example below:

LaxSea0809#1.jpg

They also reveal the logic behind the fluctuations in fares. :giggle:

Paul I must applaud your IT skills. You are simply the best for developing this very useful tool and sharing it with all of us. Between your site and the status board we can grasp the picture of what is going on with prices and schedules. I extend my sincerest thanks for your kindness and generosity

I completely agree with the value of Amsnag. I always use it before I book.

Do I understand correctly that every time you book a Amtrak reservation from the Amsnag link, that Amsnag gets a commission from Amtrak, which is completely deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back