Amtrak’s most logistical and efficient way to get passengers from from point a to b is the new focus.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because this is a government agency in the transportation division... don't expect anything except basic transportation... between the most practical cost effective city points 'a' and 'b.' LD will only survive if there is no other transportation option for the tax payer... with government stepping in with rail service. But mine us all that basic transportation includes point a to b with minimal basic necessities for the traveler.

The government is not in the luxury tourist business... that is why Amtrak will move towards existing solely as a basic transit utility and downgrade service. The government is in control and rail transit does not consider LD rail as any kind of a luxury commodity. There is very little cost effective commercial competitive activity in rail travel... and it will remain basic until there is more financial interest. Otherwise,,, show the revenue potential.

So sorry AU'ers... that this is the most logical conclusion I can come up with. There is no actual 'vehicle' to propel a fairly decent level of LD service that will inspire the government to open up cash infusion.

We're working on it (the timetables). We may even have gotten someone's ear:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmtrakFansGroup/permalink/1903613846482948/
Even if this doesn't have an effect, we'll keep working on it. If Amtrak management can't manage Amtrak, we'll manage it for them and use Congress to browbeat them into doing the right thing. (Though frankly I wish they were paying me the big bucks instead of the clowns they're paying to act as "senior executives" right now, because I couldn't possibly do worse.)

Last edited:
Is it too much to ask to have timetables??
We don't want to only see the route from one city to another, can we see the whole route?
They still have timetables, it's just that they're all online and a bit hard to find. I'm of mixed feelings about paper timetables. On the one hand, not everyone has internet and even those of us that do sometimes don't want to have to spend the time looking things up, but on the other hand, I'm cleaning out my house, and I can't believe the contribution that old timetables make to the clutter in my coat pockets and other places. I'm not sure how much they're saving in printing costs by only having timetables on line. The other thing is that the schedules get changed so frequently, printing paper timetables each time might really be a big expense.

They still have timetables, it's just that they're all online and a bit hard to find. I'm of mixed feelings about paper timetables. On the one hand, not everyone has internet and even those of us that do sometimes don't want to have to spend the time looking things up, but on the other hand, I'm cleaning out my house, and I can't believe the contribution that old timetables make to the clutter in my coat pockets and other places. I'm not sure how much they're saving in printing costs by only having timetables on line. The other thing is that the schedules get changed so frequently, printing paper timetables each time might really be a big expense.

I do not miss printed schedues, but there is no good reason not to provide .pdfs that are informational, concise and an easy reference, by downloading onto your smart phone and/or computer or printing out on your own. They can have it both ways. There can't be any meaningful cost savings by dropping .pdfs, but I suspect that's the direction they are going.

I do not miss printed schedues, but there is no good reason not to provide .pdfs that are informational, concise and an easy reference, by downloading onto your smart phone and/or computer or printing out on your own. They can have it both ways. There can't be any meaningful cost savings by dropping .pdfs, but I suspect that's the direction they are going.
I don't understand, I planned a couple of trips recently. They have pdfs for everything. Same format as always.

Amtrak Routes & Stations

You have to click on the particular route, then there's a link for the schedule. All they need to do is redesign the web site so that the links to all the schedules can be accessed from the home page. But constantly changing web sites for the worse is not a problem limited to Amtrak.

When traveling on a train and viewing scenery... a time table is essential for following along the route... as is the route guide... both of which can be printed. I am lost without one... where are we now??? It's part of the experience.

Another good tip is to follow along with a state map available through the AAA and other various motor clubs.

Computer aps also show where you are and how fast the speed of the train... although the train may be in remote areas where there is no signal or weak signal.

Some of the better SCA's in the past have left printed schedules in each roomette. [Those are the folks you tip well!]

Amtrak has never provided a luxury tourist business (except when they provided crews and motive power for AOE, Grande Luxe, etc.).
There are certainly many levels of luxury... my reference to 'luxury' of the past was a higher standard of service as compared to now when everything is bare bones. Flex dining is substandard. Below examples of a much higher standard of the past...

Menu_Thanksgiving_prob 1970s.jpg

81b1694314c5b8d093137416d507116b.jpg

Computer aps also show where you are and how fast the speed of the train... although the train may be in remote areas where there is no signal or weak signal.
You don't need a cell signal, just GPS, if you spend some time before your trip downloading maps to your phone for offline use. That's for Google Maps on Android; I don't know about other platforms.

There are also GPS status or test apps that will show you speed and direction with no need for a cell signal.

I don't understand, I planned a couple of trips recently. They have pdfs for everything. Same format as always.

Amtrak Routes & Stations

You have to click on the particular route, then there's a link for the schedule. All they need to do is redesign the web site so that the links to all the schedules can be accessed from the home page. But constantly changing web sites for the worse is not a problem limited to Amtrak.

I know they're there, but they are buried so deep I unless you one is determined to find them, they may not. And I am not sure the Northweast Regional schedule is even up to date.

Amtrak Routes & Stations

Yep.

Just do amtrak.com/route-name-train

Examples:
amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train
amtrak.com/cardinal-train
amtrak.com/california-zephyr-train

Amtrak Routes & Stations

I did find schedules by following this link. But it appears all of the corridor schedules (Empire, Michigan, Cascades, etc.) are badly outdated, pre-pandemic timetables. Half or more of the trains they show aren't running. There is also nothing about the substantially altered Crescent schedule that takes effect in a couple of weeks. And of course, if one goes to the home page and clicks on the "schedules" tab, which is where the uninitiated might expect to find a schedule, there is nothing resembling a printable timetable to be found.

Back