Amtrak 2017 Autumn Excursion October 14-15 up and down the Hudson

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C&TS is especially nice on the morning northbound leg from Chama, NM to the luncheon stopping point.

There is no mention of mileage on Amtrak's site. Boarding is at 8:00 AM and returning to NYP at 6:10 PM. Ten hours is quite a long ride. Does anyone know how long this trip is? I guess about 250 miles.

And my other question: Are there any stops along the route? Or is it just NYP to NYP?

As usual, the web site came up not working for AXP at 10:01 am, but I could get the ticket through the Amtrak App on my iPhone. :)

So I am all set for the 14th!
ditto

The Amtrak web site home page (desktop/laptop) came up as a blank page, but is working on the app (The AXP designation still shows as Harrisburg from last year)

I decided to go and am ticketed for Saturday. I used the iOS (iPhone) app.

The Amtrak web site home page (desktop/laptop) came up as a blank page, but is working on the app (The AXP designation still shows as Harrisburg from last year)

I decided to go and am ticketed for Saturday. I used the iOS (iPhone) app.
I actually managed to get around the "blank page" issue and get to https://tickets.amtrak.com, and found that it does not recognize AXP as a valid destination. So I reverted to the iOS App, recalling the experience from last year, and was able to get the ticket immediately using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obnoxiously, they failed to update the website. Called in and got reservations over the phone. I'll be on *both* trains -- I'm hoping to get the left side on one train and the right side on the other, since this is exceptionally interesting mileage to me. (I'm even interested in the part going through industrial New Jersey.)

I'll see you guys on the Sunday trip. I'm riding with two friends. Chances are I'll fly to New York and take the silver star home. I'll be looking forward to seeing you guys.

This trip starts my season of almost never being home. I'll go home for two days then drive up to new River. Be there for two weeks followed hopefully by a week in Chicago. Then I'm home till the week before Christmas.

I'll see you guys on the Sunday trip. I'm riding with two friends. Chances are I'll fly to New York and take the silver star home. I'll be looking forward to seeing you guys.

This trip starts my season of almost never being home. I'll go home for two days then drive up to new River. Be there for two weeks followed hopefully by a week in Chicago. Then I'm home till the week before Christmas.
Since I am riding on Saturday, I don't think we'll meet. Sunday I am in Bound Brook at the NJ-ARP Annual Meeting, and then flying back almost immediately after that. Got to work on Monday to earn my keep ;)

I am flying out Friday after work and staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton. Saturday bright and early catching an NJT into Penn Station NY, even though there is a pickup stop at Newark Penn. Gotta get that good seat you know? :)

I might see you still as I am coming into the city probably that morning. So I should be waving to you guys from under the George Washington bridge.

Let's see if I understand the seating setup...

If I want to be facing forward on the river side, for the Newark to Selkirk segment...

Then when I board at New York, I should try to get a seat facing East (toward the rear of the train), and on the South Side... does that sound right?

If I want to be facing forward on the river side, for the Newark to Selkirk segment...

Then when I board at New York, I should try to get a seat facing East (toward the rear of the train), and on the South Side... does that sound right?
Yes, and be on the firemen's side, not the engineer's side.

It may be disorienting as there will probably be locomotives on both sides of the train, correct? If you look up at the track numbers on the Penn Station platforms, there is an arrow pointing to "Front of LIRR train". You would want to grab a seat facing in this direction if you wanted to be on the river side going up the Hudson (or the opposite direction if you want the land side). I'm still debating what side I want....

Yes, and be on the firemen's side, not the engineer's side.
I guess you mean the 'fireman's' side as the train moves between New York and Newark...then after Newark it all reverses...,right?

Agree with Jeb that those of us in flyover country are better off using the $$$ it would take to get to and stay in NYC to ride on a Classic RR or take an Amtrak trip on a scheduled Train.

Otherwise it sounds like fun if you are close to the Apple, or are Rich!
Yeah I agree, sounds like it'd be fun if you lived around NYC and had a lot of $$, to do this trip. I'm totally with you, in thinking I'd be better off going on a regularly scheduled Amtrak train to see this stretch of the Hudson River. Which yes, is really nice since I've gone through there on Amtrak(via taking the Lake Shore Limited) once before.

Ugh, that link is no longer working. :( And I got a silly 'Unauthorized! We're sorry, but you are unauthorized to visit this website.' white screen page. What the fudge, did they stop selling the t-shirts for this event? I guess I'll see if Web Archive archived that site in time, before it went down earlier this month.

Agree with Jeb that those of us in flyover country are better off using the $$$ it would take to get to and stay in NYC to ride on a Classic RR or take an Amtrak trip on a scheduled Train.

Otherwise it sounds like fun if you are close to the Apple, or are Rich!
Yeah I agree, sounds like it'd be fun if you lived around NYC and had a lot of $$, to do this trip. I'm totally with you, in thinking I'd be better off going on a regularly scheduled Amtrak train to see this stretch of the Hudson River. Which yes, is really nice since I've gone through there on Amtrak(via taking the Lake Shore Limited) once before.

Ugh, that link is no longer working. :( And I got a silly 'Unauthorized! We're sorry, but you are unauthorized to visit this website.' white screen page. What the fudge, did they stop selling the t-shirts for this event? I guess I'll see if Web Archive archived that site in time, before it went down earlier this month.
Yes, the sale was limited and has been closed. They need the lead time to get the shirts made and shipped.

There is no mention of mileage on Amtrak's site. Boarding is at 8:00 AM and returning to NYP at 6:10 PM. Ten hours is quite a long ride. Does anyone know how long this trip is? I guess about 250 miles.

And my other question: Are there any stops along the route? Or is it just NYP to NYP?
Anyone who has the answer?

Back