Amtrak 305 29Dec

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

penguinflies

Service Attendant
Is there a way to find past and future routing of the train? I am trying to catch the exact same Amfleet car.

So :

Amtrak 305 chicago - stl

turns into
Amtrak 300 or 302

then turns back into 305?

I lost keys, dont remember the car# but remember I was in 11A/B. Amtrak hasn't found them yet. Trying to catchup with the train. I was in a center car so unless the train was completely disconnected in Chicago, I should be able to find my old seat.

I can catch 305/307 on next 05Jan, Tuesday or any train next 06Jan.

Thanks for any assistance or tips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curiosity makes me wonder why you want to find your old seat? Sure must have been comfortable!

I'm not even sure if there's a way of knowing if that same car your think you lost your keys in is still in the consist for that train. Could be in the shop somewhere or even on another train somewhere. Maybe.

Your best bet is to contact Amtrak Customer Service and report your missing keys. If the attendant found them they would be turned in and they may have them for you. Otherwise, you can decide whether to change locks, *if they are house keys?. Not likely your sleeper car will show up on a returning train anyway as noted by others here. And also not likely you would have any access to that car per Amtrak policies

Is there a way to find past and future routing of the train? I am trying to catch the exact same Amfleet car.

So :

Amtrak 305 chicago - stl

turns into

Amtrak 300 or 302

then turns back into 305?

I lost keys, dont remember the car# but remember I was in 11A/B. Amtrak hasn't found them yet. Trying to catchup with the train. I was in a center car so unless the train was completely disconnected in Chicago, I should be able to find my old seat.

I can catch 305/307 on next 05Jan, Tuesday or any train next 06Jan.

Thanks for any assistance or tips.
I don't usually address these things but your first thought on what happens to 305 is *probably* accurate assuming there are no disruptions or manipulations.

I'm not even sure if there's a way of knowing if that same car your think you lost your keys in is still in the consist for that train. Could be in the shop somewhere or even on another train somewhere. Maybe.
That is the issue. One car is gone, another is likely to disappear in the next two days, while the rest of them are likely to get pulled anytime. I don't anticipate that set remaining together by the end of the week, so it is a matter of when they start swapping the equipment.

Your best bet is to contact Amtrak Customer Service and report your missing keys. If the attendant found them they would be turned in and they may have them for you. Otherwise, you can decide whether to change locks, *if they are house keys?. Not likely your sleeper car will show up on a returning train anyway as noted by others here. And also not likely you would have any access to that car per Amtrak policies
I'm not sure what your plan is once you find the train, but unless you are buying a ticket and joyriding to give yourself to time to search, it is unlikely you will have the time or access to accomplish your search.

You can keep attempting to contact customer service. Maybe they can get in contact with one of the yards. Sometimes they have better luck.

It was a coach, which probably makes it even more difficult to trace, especially without a car number. Unless they're in the Chicago lost and found, those keys are gone.

It was a coach, which probably makes it even more difficult to trace, especially without a car number. Unless they're in the Chicago lost and found, those keys are gone.

It is possible they could still be wedged between the seat cushions and the frame. That is why I suggested the yard personnel could check. They know how to get in there.

Thanks for all the replies.

It is possible they could still be wedged between the seat cushions and the frame. That is why I suggested the yard personnel could check. They know how to get in there.

That's what I'm figuring as well it it's loged in the cushion or between the seat frame that rotates and the cushion stack, beyond the reach of the typical cleaning. Thankfully it wasn't a long-distance train or Superliner, just the Lincoln Service which, if I were to guess, can turn to be the following:

• Illinois Zephyr: daily service between Chicago and Quincy, IL
  • Illini Service: daily service between Chicago and Carbondale, IL
  • Saluki: daily service between Chicago and Carbondale, IL
  • Carl Sandburg: daily service between Chicago and Quincy, IL
  • Lincoln Service: daily service between Chicago and St. Louis, MO
  • River Runner-daily service between St. Louis and K.C.

Let me ask this another way: Knowing the train number (305-Lincoln Service) and date, can I find out the car # I was in? The car combination as I recall was (front to back)Engine, Horizon, Amfleet (I was in this one), amfleet, amfleet, amfleet cafe car/Business class, engine). I know the front coach car was a Horizon as I avoid sitting in them due to the intense overhead lighting.

I had already listed them with lost and found and do check with Passenger Services to see if anything turns up at Union Station or Gateway Transportation Center.

And yes, I'm figuring they are gone, and I travel enough that I've kept spares over the years with friends and at the office.

On a side note: I was on 304 on Friday back to Chicago and another passenger lost her glasses. It was an Amfleet car, the conductor came by, kicked the latch, swiveled the seat (11d/f) and out popped the glasses. Hoping I'm just as lucky.

Just a followup, keys were recovered out of amfleet car during overnight cleaning in st. louis. Got them back today. Thanks Amtrak!

Good news, and thanks for the update! I had a similar experience recently with an iPad and an airplane, it's quite awesome to get something back that you weren't necessarily expecting.

I was trying to imagine you attempting to explain to the occupant of the seat on your re ride why you were asking her to get up out of her seat so you could check under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back